It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Fathers Body Found In Woods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...
MERLIN, Oregon (CNN) -- The body of a man who had walked into the Oregon wilderness Saturday to summon help for his stranded family was found Wednesday in a steep ravine.

Officials confirmed that James Kim, 35, an editor at the Web site CNET, had been found dead.

His body was found in an area where searchers found pieces of clothing Kim may have used to mark his trail.

Brian Anderson, Undersheriff of Josephine County, broke down and could not finish speaking as he announced the 3:03 p.m. ET discovery.

This story almost brings a tear to my eye.

I'm really curious as to how he died, and I am glad that his family was rescued. I think that it was really smart of him to lay out his clothes for people to find him. I'm guessing that he died from freezing to death.

Him and his family had gotten stuck in some snow, and they were using a heater to keep warm until the gas ran out. They then burned the tires to keep themselves warm. They had missed their turnoff and ended up taking a twisty mountain road as an alternative.

They couple used baby food, and crackers to feed their daughters. They also used snow as water while they were waiting for help. This story is so sad, and I can't believe he left his family to find help. I think he should've stayed with them and waited it out.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I read about this, and saw it on CNN, which surprised me.

It is sad, especially since so amny people were hoping/thinking
that since the family was found alive, that he to would be.

The official reports are saying he died of exposure, and
hypothermia.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Oh man, I think he should've used something else for a trail besides his clothes. Not so smart on his part but still, atleast they found him. I'm guessing he thought for sure he was going to die.

Devastated his family must've been to hear about the news. I know I would be. Especially because, he was out there looking for help all alone. I would consider him a hero, and a dedicated husband and father.

Ex

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is so sad,
he must have walked in circles,
because he was found less than a mile from the van.

HEROIC MAN....TRYING TO PROTECT AND SAVE HIS FAMILY!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I don't think that he was going in circles. I mean it had to be really really cold outside. It must've been hard for him to move.

I'm guessing that he was too cold to even try to get further, and he just layed down and accepted his fate?

If it was me I would've ran around to keep myself warm.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What's even worse is that he was about a mile away from
a fully stocked cabin, that had he found it, he would be
alive now.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Oh God.

I really wished he had searched harder. Do you think he knew that the cabin was there?

I wouldn't want to be stuck in his situation but I also would not try to give up, and I would press on.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
Oh God.

I really wished he had searched harder. Do you think he knew that the cabin was there?

I wouldn't want to be stuck in his situation but I also would not try to give up, and I would press on.

No, I doubt he knew of it's existance, he would have been
able to get in, but it was'nt open, so there woud have been
no advertisement of it.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Good initiative, bad judgement.

After a few days of being stranded the man did what he thought was best for his family. Without knowing if a search team had been sent out, I'd rather do something than nothing in a situation like that.

I'm glad his family was rescued. That has to be a horrible feeling, dying without knowing if your family will be rescued or not.

Ex

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The Cause of death was hypotermia
dangerously low body temperature caused
by prolonged exposure to cold

The pants they had found were soaking wet..
and the worst thing you can be in zero temps
is wet & freezing

Sad.....Very Sad!

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That really disturbed me to hear that he was found dead. As sad as the story is, it's also a very beautiful, and heroic story. He walked over 10 miles trying to find a lodge that they saw on an old map. I'm wondering if he didn't realize at some point he was going in the wrong direction, and swung back around, to be found just a mere mile away from his starting point, down along the river. Who can fault a man for trying to save everything that he held dear to him.

Hypothermia can come swiftly, with deadly consequences. I'm sad for his family

new topics

top topics

join