It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$38 million to preserve the notorious internment camps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Woh, woh, woh! Back right back up there!

I was just reading this article on CNN.com and noticed the following passage:

Congress on Tuesday sent Bush legislation to spend $38 million to preserve the notorious internment camps where the government kept Japanese-Americans behind barbed wire during World War II -- a stark reminder of how the United States turned on some of its citizens in a time of fear.

Why the hell would you want to spend that much money preserving an obvious black mark on the country? Is this raising a red flag for anyone else? Anyone have additional information on this?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It's cheaper than building new ones

ATS: Halliburton Building Concentration Camps in America

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
What else can you say? Conspiracy theorists love to draw parallels (real and imaginary) between the U.S. government and Nazi Germany; naming among them the U.S. government's new usage of the term "Homeland", which was what Hitler et al. made common use of to refer to Germany.

Also, among several other parallels, the use of terror, or a national threat to instill an abnormally high level of fear in its citizens, and which warranted a highly nationalistic approach to other countries...

Finally, the Nazi prison or concentration camps. This is not only a blight on the face of this country, it should never be repeated. But as a clear and very telling statement about our current administration, our government has not only decided to reinvigorate these existing affronts to humanity, but have also commandeered old warehouses and train stations for this purpose, as well as paid out immense sums of money to have new detainment camps constructed.

On this point in particular, I have to say I am extremely disturbed, and I see a direct correlation between a philosophy such as this and the evils of Hitler and Nazi Germany.

We have prisons for criminals. If state and local governments are dealing with overpopulation, they would build more prisons, period.

The fact that creepy, undeveloped, stark and Nazi-esque type detainment camps are being built shows our legal system going in a completely different and altogether disturbing direction.

Does the U.S. government feel that it's in debt so badly that it will have to imprison its own citizens in forced labor camps? This is a euphemism by the way; a better term would be Nazi concentration camp, because the very inhuman treatment that will go on behind closed doors - away from the public eye - will no doubt be an offense to God and man.

The fact that one cent would go into a camp like this - is this hitting home for anybody? - the fact that one cent would go into such a place is a wake up call for the citizens of this country.

Our government loves to refer to programs and places with euphemisms that do little to comfort those with the sense to see what's going on.

Nobody in this country sees this as anything other than a terrifying and surreal reality that our government - which seems to be peopled with beasts - has thrust upon us, and for which it will soon enough come to account.

Does it appear to anyone else that our government is not only being openly hostile to every other country, as well as the United Nations, but is actually becoming hostile and threatening to its own citizens?!

This 12th day of December 2006, I really am looking at our own government and asking myself what the f*** is going on?!

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Were interment camps in the 40's a bad idea...HELL NO!!!

Who attacked us...The JAPANESE!!!

Today who is attacking us ...MUSLIMS!!

The saying goes...."Not all Muslims are terrorists, but so far all terrorists are Muslims."

It is time to throw POLITICAL CORRECTNESS out the window or it will kill US!!!

The extremest of the Muslim religion have vowed to KILL US!!!

Rouund these people up, sort out the good from the bad. If they don't like it, THEN MAYBE THE GOOD ONES SHOULD STAND UP AN SPEAK OUT!! Until they do, by saying nothing, you are complicate with the BAD!!!

And while rounding them up may be frowned apon, what better way to weed out the good from the bad. If they are not willing to stand up and denounce the bad, then logical thinking leads to believe theysielenty support the bad.

By no means am I for detaining the innocent. But when a whole population keeps quiet on their radical edges, LOGIC dictates that they are followers.

The USA is in the right to interrigate these people....The RADICALS come out and preach DEATH TO THE WEST! If they will not stand up and go against this, then we the USA needs to know what side they are on.

Will innocents suffer...HELL YEAH! But those innocents could have spoken out. They are in AMERICA, They have our FREEDOMS!

For those in a 3rd World DICTATORSHIP, I acan understand being quiet. But those in the USA, there is no excuse. As the President said (And believe me these days, I have almost nothing in common with him, and for reasons I'll not get into now, HE SHOULD BE IMPEACHED) "YOU ARE EITHER WITH US, OR AGAINST US" Until the Muslim population makes their intentions clear....They should be rounded up and interogated!!!

If you are no threat, then I offer my apologises and go on your way. If you feel you were wronged, well YOU SHOULD HAVE SPOKEN UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

For those who are against us, you should be grilled until you tell US everything you know, then executed for TREASON!!!

And for those who PUBLISH National Security Items. You should be shot in the head on the spot. By leaking ANY nationall security Govt bussiness, you are nothing more than a TRAITOR and should be EXECUTED on the spot!!

If you have a problem with the way this administration is running the war on terror,, go through the channels. Document your objections. But by leaking to the enemy the actions of the administration, you are nothing more than TRAITORS!!

And for those who complain that the Administration isn't listening....AGAIN I SAY DOCUMENT YOUR COMPLAINTS! But parisan POLITICS and the MEDIA can't do that, it doesn't fit with their agenda!!!!

If you have a complaint that wasn't listened to, then document it. One day you will have your voice heard. And if the current administration is guilty,, then they should be charged and punished accordingly. No matter who is at fault!!!

BUT WHILE OUR TROOPS ARE IN HARMS WAY, IF YOU LEAK SENSITIVE MATERIAL....YOU SHOULD BE SHOT AND EXECUTED ON THE SPOT!!!

These men and woman risk their lives for you to have the FREEDOM OF THE PRESS. When you BETRAY them, I hope they hunt you down and kill YOU!!!

Right or Wrong, we are at war. When you aid the enemy (Real or Percieved) you should be shot for TREASON!!

The most important goal is getting our troops home with the least amount of casualties as possible. Reguardless of your political affiliation. But when you help the enemy, not only is it Treason....IT IS MURDER!!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Does it throw up a red flag? No. The site is 60 years old and could have been torn down long ago, yet the article tells you why it has been preserved through the decades. It is a site with historical value and a reminder of past mistakes.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Does it throw up a red flag? No. The site is 60 years old and could have been torn down long ago, yet the article tells you why it has been preserved through the decades. It is a site with historical value and a reminder of past mistakes.

Excuse me for souning rude, but I didn't know the internet was created in WW2... 60+ years ago is quite some time

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_unraveller

Excuse me for souning rude, but I didn't know the internet was created in WW2... 60+ years ago is quite some time

I would think it was pretty obvious that I was speaking of the WW2 internment camp.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Aigh, we preserve battle ships, aircraft carriers from WWII and beyond ... would people here be proposing that America is .. saving them for future use or something?

I will have to agree with Vor here.. Our government spends quite alot on historical sites (not internet sites for those who cannot relate words with topics at hand) and it would only be natural to preserve a dark peice of history such as the internment camps... as a reminder not to listen to those like the man above with the long rant about locking people up.

We also perserve underground railroad stations, infact a house on the property where I work is a historical site funded by the city because of that. We preserve old civil war sites, are we expecting to reinstate slavery and break out into war sometime soon? .. mm no.

Onthedeck -

What else can you say? Conspiracy theorists love to draw parallels (real and imaginary) between the U.S. government and Nazi Germany; naming among them the U.S. government's new usage of the term "Homeland", which was what Hitler et al. made common use of to refer to Germany.

First off, Hitler refered to the Father Land, the Soviet Union the Mother Land, naturaly it would look bad to call it either, so we call it the Homeland.. Nothing Nazi about that.. which brings me to my most important point..

Through out history no nation has ever acted in a way to make them selves honestly uniqe in any way. That is to say, terrorism.. government installed fear, terms like homeland, motherland which ever.. things like interrogating citizens, torture of citizens, government papers.. these things are not new.. they are old. Since civilization began kings and dictators and now the disguise of democracy will not make new forms up, but instead perfect the way it is done to suite the time inwhich they exist. Such as, it would be a bad idea for Bush to round people up in the streets, so instead they listen to phone conversations, same way of survaliance .. nothing new.. just a way to perfect it for the time and age, but the point and the crude line of thought is exactly the same. All governments are driven by fear, there is not a government in the world that does not fear it's own people more then an outsider.

Germany was not new. It was the same tyranny that has existed before .. we never learn to listen to history, the same empires will rise and fall with the aid of a fearful populace and a man ready to kill and destroy to get there, but they always follow primitive survivalist thought processes. So, America does not follow Germany when they institute fear to turn political processes, use words like "freedom, homeland, terrorist, muslim" they are like every single empire and kingdom that existed before it, just as Germany was, who only took to a larger scale.

new topics

top topics

join