It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flowing water found on Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeed85

Does that mean Humans would also excist on other planets then.If Aliens excisted and had tech that we didn`t have that would be down to different elements available to each species.

Also being that the Universe and beyond is so vast isn`t it impossible to say it`s all made of the same substances.We are such a small area for any elements to find there way here or we find them.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by zeed85]

You do know how the periodic table works right? Human existence doesn't make certain elements. Sure, there may be some that we have to discover (or create) and i'm sure there are, but they would be huge compared with what we know of now. What you are suggesting is that the periodic table as we know it would be completely different for another race of beings, they will still have the same things as us, possibly more, but not a completely different set. We might know about some they don't, but they all come from the same place.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Interesting developments today. I personally feel this is the beginning of the disclousure process. Start with the easy stuff ie water on Mars, then primitive bacterial life and then more exciting news before the Big One...intelligent life. Might take the next twenty years or so but i think things might be about to get interesting!!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7

Human existence doesn't make certain elements. Sure, there may be some that we have to discover(or create) and i'm sure there are, but they would be compared with what we know of now.

Thats my point that we are jumping ahead using science that we know of.That doesn`t mean we can make statements that a substances don`t excist that could throw our theories into the bin.

We 200 years ago couldn`t fly, science stated it was impossible.150 years later were going to the moon.And look at the theories of the Moon 200 yrs ago.

What you are suggesting is that the periodic table as we know it would be completely different for another race of beings,

And is that really that impossible.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by zeed85]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
What has me stumped is I saw this on Fox News and the guy was making a mock about it then all of a sudden nothing. I haven't seen one other thing or heard one other thing on Fox News and I have it turned on most of the time.

I am sure that you notice when something of interest happens all news run it to death or until you are about to be sick and puke if you hear it again. Why? I ask you have they just thrown this out there then nothing.

I smell..................

Ironfist it's okay about the thread I was just using my dry sense of humor on you but it didn't go right after I reviewed it.

jra

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7
Human existence doesn't make certain elements. Sure, there may be some that we have to discover(or create) and i'm sure there are, but they would be compared with what we know of now.

Thats my point that we are jumping ahead using science that we know of.That doesn`t mean we can make statements that a substances don`t excist that could throw our theories into the bin.

We 200 years ago couldn`t fly, science stated it was impossible.150 years later were going to the moon.And look at the theories of the Moon 200 yrs ago.

What does flying have to do with the periodic table of elements? The two do not compare. A hydrogen atom is the same here as it is everywhere else in the universe. An alien race may give it a different name, but what ever they may call it, it's still the same element. An alien race my have a larger periodic table, but the first 118 of them will be the same (assuming they organize them by there atomic number).

So yes, I'd have to say it is impossible for another race to have a completely different set of elements.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by jra]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Also if you look at the photo the flow stops as if frozen.It could be anything.theyb also state it`s 300kms long.Liquid Nitrogen flows the same as water.I`m just trying to understand why they have to say it`s water without taking and anylalysing first.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by zeed85]

Given that Mars has no magnetic shield except for a slight one now being formed by the iron deposits on the surface, how on Mar's could water remain on the surface as ice or otherwise?

They're postulating that its a geyser of sorts that streamed for 300km in sub-zero temperatures. How hot would water have to be to achieve that in sub zero temperatures without being steam? That would have to be a massive amount of very hot water. How long does it take for water to move 300km? Would it not freeze almost immediately under those temperatures or just become steam when hitting the surface. I just wonder if the math of the temperatures makes sense.

I guess the water could have geysered all at once across the whole 300km surface, but the flow formation suggests it started at a higher point and flowed downwards.

I think zeed85 has a good point. Seems like a hasty conclusion.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I know that science has these instruments, but how can you prove there correct.

Science once believed the Earth to be flat until somebody went around.

The reason we know what substances bodies in space are made of is because of absorption and emission line spectra. Every element in the universe emits a unique pattern in it's spectra. The doppler effect can shift the patterns to longer wavelengths.

This works for stars and any bodies that emit light, not so sure it can be done with planets though.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Originally posted by ZoooMerHopefully enough to reinvigorate the public attention so we can get our buts out there and land some people on Mars.

Just remember to tell them, don't drink the water.

And don't eat the yellow snow.

I was kind of disappointed in this announcement. I thought it would be something more than this. I mean we all know there is water on Mars, but I guess the intriguing part of this is that maybe there could be microbial life forms living in the liquid water under the surface, so I guess that is something.

I think part of NASA’s strategy is to always keep us guessing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join