It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flowing water found on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hi all,
I've just seen the press conference where NASA say they have recent evidence of water flowing on the surface of Mars. This is unreal. now if there's water then life can't be far behind if not already there. I can't wait to see the pictures up close and examine them myself.

Ironfist

[edit on 6-12-2006 by ironfist]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I hope they show us what they really know. As we all know, they tend to hide most everything they can from us.

It will be interesting to see just what they say.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Read more here:

www.cnn.com...

Perhaps a sign of more announcements to come...?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
here's a link to the photos from the NASA site

www.nasa.gov...

Ironfist

Ram

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
When are they gonna announce the vegetation then?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If you look down a few you will see I had already started this thread. Just thought I would point that out.

Now that I have it doesn't matter really so the Mod's can close my thread.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
On the press conference one of the NASA boff states they have taken about 240K pictures and have about 5% of the Mars surface in High resoultion. I would like to see if that covers the face on mars and the cydonia region???

Sorry observe50 that I missed your post. I just posted as soon i saw the press conference and couldn't contain myself

Ironfist

[edit on 6-12-2006 by ironfist]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This could be an amazing new development in space news. Hopefully enough to reinvigorate the public attention so we can get our buts out there and land some people on Mars.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I really don't know why you are so excited. Many of us had stated that there is life within our Moon and within Mars.

How do you know these pictures aren't fake? NASA who lies now tells what we already know and you give them the credit. I see there proof (pictures) count.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Amazing

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZoooMerHopefully enough to reinvigorate the public attention so we can get our buts out there and land some people on Mars.

Just remember to tell them, don't drink the water.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
why everybody convinced it`s water.It could be a yet unknown substance that dosn`t excist here on Earth.

I`ve always been curious how science recently has been able to know the make up of planets we`ve never gone to.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it convenient that the Mars Global Surveryor just recently went dead ? These two events could very well be related. What is NASA going to say, "oh well yes we may have found liquid water, but unfortunateley our satellite is gone so oops, we cant take any more pictures of the area for another 10 years."

Perhaps someone else can clarify if there exists other satellites capable of photgraphing that area ( ESA satellite maybe ? )

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Some additional threads regarding Mars/water from the Space Exploration Forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

jra

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeed85
I`ve always been curious how science recently has been able to know the make up of planets we`ve never gone to.

Through the use of spectrometers and taking photos with various filters in wavelengths that we can't see with our own eyes, just to name a few. Look up a Mars probe and check out the description of the various instruments and what they do.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The odds of there being substances on Mars that don't exist on Earth are very slim, Generally it's accepted that the solar system, if not the universe, is formed of all the same elements. Being as the periodic table is pretty well filled up, any other elements would have large numbers of protons and be ridiculously massive, most likely not capable of existing in a liquid form on a frigid planet surface.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Through the use of spectrometers and taking photos with various filters in wavelengths that we can't see with our own eyes, just to name a few. Look up a Mars probe and check out the description of the various instruments and what they do.

I know that science has these instruments, but how can you prove there correct.

Science once believed the Earth to be flat until somebody went around.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
wow...that's an amazing pic about MARS......i wonder now what will the government do. I bet you this pics are old....and they've known about it just like perhaps when armstrong saw aliens in the moon they freaked out and never talked about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
The odds of there being substances on Mars that don't exist on Earth are very slim, Generally it's accepted that the solar system, if not the universe, is formed of all the same elements. Being as the periodic table is pretty well filled up, any other elements would have large numbers of protons and be ridiculously massive, most likely not capable of existing in a liquid form on a frigid planet surface.

Does that mean Humans would also excist on other planets then.If Aliens excisted and had tech that we didn`t have that would be down to different elements available to each species.

Also being that the Universe and beyond is so vast isn`t it impossible to say it`s all made of the same substances.We are such a small area for any elements to find there way here or we find them.

You basing the understanding we have of elements that could excist in a liquid form.They could be different to anything we have ever known.

Also if you look at the photo the flow stops as if frozen.It could be anything.theyb also state it`s 300kms long.Liquid Nitrogen flows the same as water.I`m just trying to understand why they have to say it`s water without taking and anylalysing first.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by zeed85]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Because they know how they work.

No, when Fernão de Magalhães went around the Earth most people were expecting his return. Scientists supposed the Earth was round many years, even centuries, before that.

jra

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Because they more than likely test them on things here on Earth, that we know what they consist of and if the device confirms it, than you know it works.

As for scientists once believing that the Earth was flat... Well you are incorrect.

en.wikipedia.org...

By the time of Pliny the Elder in the 1st century, however, the Earth's spherical shape was generally acknowledged among the learned in the western world. Around then Ptolemy derived his maps from a curved globe and developed the system of latitude, longitude, and climes. His writings remained the basis of European astronomy throughout the Middle Ages, although Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages (ca. 3rd to 7th centuries) saw occasional arguments in favor of a flat Earth. The modern misconception that people of the Middle Ages believed that the Earth was flat first entered the popular imagination in the nineteenth century.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join