It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE WIRE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
just wondering if theres any one here who watches the wire
its one of the best show ever created
en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)
any one has not seen should watch it!!
its one of those shows where you have to watch all eps i have season 1-4
cant wait till season 5
heres the IMDB review
www.imdb.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I've seen it advertised and everything... but could you give us a run down of what its all about, in your best description without tiring yourself.. lol

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I LOVE The Wire!

The rundown on the show as I see it as follows.

The concept: follow a Baltimore Police Department's criminal investigation with emphasis on the various wiretaps required to bring about a conviction.

Sounds...concepty. But then again, all concepts do.

The show is great. I think the intent was that each season would be a new 'wiretap' case. But its really gone in a lot of different directions over the seasons. First it started off with the Barksdale Gang, and that seemed to take a few seasons. All the actors are great, and the characters, the cops, the gangsters, and the politicians and citizens, are simply fascinating.

The show has a heckuva lot of political intrigue going on too, and that seems to make in even more interesting and relevant.

Most of the earlier seasons focused on the cops, and the gangsters, the cops build their case, the gangsters build their drug empire.

The cast was almost entirely black, except for two of the cops who were white. This is an oddity for anything outside of BET, and it can't help but be noted. THe show is very similar to the sopranos, also on HBO. The Sopranos are a bunch of murderous and vile gangsters, and the Barksdales, the focus of the first season or two, were murderous and vile gangsters. Oddly, poeple LOVE tony soprano, and loath Evon Barksdale. I even heard someone remark, (I think this was on a show on comedy central), on a discussion about race, something to the effect of 'watch which does better, the sopranos or the wire'. I think that there's really something to that.
Bizzarely, not long after that, the show switched gears. The barksdale wiretap was put on hold, and all of a sudden they were investigating mob influence on dockworkers unions, instead of italians, the mobsters were greek (big diff, eh?
) and pretty much everyone on the show except for a few peopel were white.
That lasted for about a season. This most recent season went on a real weird tact. The wiretap "major crimes' unit was ripped up, corruption was at its highest and most debiliating, a new player took over most of the street corners to sell drugs on, and the show kept focusing on these three young teens in the Baltimore public school system. They basically told the same story, but different aspects of it. That season is over, and I get the feeling that things are all coming together now.

Its really a great show. Luckily, i have HBO 'on demand'. I never get a chance to watch it on sunday nights, which is its normal time, so I just watch it at leisure.

The frustrating thing about the show, and this is true for pretty much every HBO drama series, was that there was a HUGE delay between seasons. I had honestly figured, after the previous season, that there wouldn't be anymore and that it was canceled. Lo and behold, they kept it or brought it back or finally finished or whatver, and its as great as ever. Might seem lame that its about these kids, but, really, they did a great job, its absolutely worth watching.

Hell, you could probably watch each and every season between now and whever the hell HBO decides to throw us a few crumbs of episodes of 'sopranos'. DAMN HBO and its inconsisten production!!! *shakes fist, thinks about there being no more deadwood before long*

[edit on 7-12-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
wow
thanks for covering everything
great to see a fan of the wire

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Possible Spoilers

Sorry to have stepped on your toes a bit there Cyrax, but you know how good that show is!
I just love how al the characters are so excited about it being 'morning in baltimore, time to wake up and smell the coffee'. You just know that Carcetti's going to let them down! And McNoltey, you can almost see him going back to the bottle already! Their 'big let down' is going to be awesome!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
true..
i wish mcnulty was more in season 4 hes a good actor and character
whats your favourite season?
mine is season 1 but there all good i live in australia and they only showed season 1 a few years ago at 11:00pm
i bought season 1 on dvd and downloaded season 2,3 and 4
cant wait for season 5

[edit on 8-12-2006 by CYRAX]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I definitly can't decide on which is the best season. When the season with the Stevadors and the Greeks came out, it was almost like a whole other show. And this one, it focused so much on the kids and the politics, that it was pretty darned unusual too. That season had a very sociological slant to it. But still great.

I'd say that the best storylines are still the ones involving the gangsters and that show how unnervingly sophisticated their methods are. And whenever old scarface comes around, you know its going to be a fun episode!

top topics

join