It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Bush Voters Are Psychotic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
A masters student at Southern Connecticut State University says he has proven a direct link between mental illness and support for Bush. The study found a correlation between the severity of a persons psychosis and there preference for the president. The more psychotic the voter the more likely they were to vote for Bush. This study began as a project to register mentally ill people and to encourage them to vote. The project also was assessing knowledge of current issues and politics. The conclusion of the study is that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader, if your world is mixed up it is comforting for someone to tell you this is how its going to be.

www.alternet.org
…Lohse's study, backed by SCSU Psychology professor Jaak Rakfeldt and statistician Misty Ginacola, found a correlation between the severity of a person's psychosis and their preferences for president: The more psychotic the voter, the more likely they were to vote for Bush.

The study began in part as an advocacy project "designed to register mentally ill voters and encourage them" to vote, while assessing "knowledge of current issues, government and politics." The Bush trend emerged in the course of the study, according to Lohse, who describes himself as a "Reagan revolution fanatic" who nonetheless finds Bush "beyond the pale." During the course of the study, it emerged that "Bush supporters has significantly less knowledge about current issues, government and politics than those who supported Kerry," and that greater levels of psychosis predicted Bush support.

"Our study shows that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader," Lohse says. "If your world is very mixed up, there's something very comforting about someone telling you, 'This is how it's going to be'."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I will grant it that the student doing the study knows his field, and am sure the date he collected is correct. However I just cant say I agree with the broad based hypotheses. The finding that the more mixed up your world is means the more authoritative leader you want may in its self be true, but to make the statement that all President Bushes voters are psychotic is something I rank right up there by not even worth paying a passing glance. All that aside, it is kind of an interesting read.

Related News Links:
english.pravda.ru
www.worldmagblog.com
www.wonkette.com
www.truthdig.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scientogy? Crazy Nuts or what?

[edit on 5/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolemHowever I just cant say I agree with the broad based hypotheses... To make the statement that all President Bushes voters are psychotic is something I rank right up there by not even worth paying a passing glance. All that aside, it is kind of an interesting read.

Without getting into the credibility of this study....

I must have missed where he made that statement... can you point it out for me where exactly he said all Bush supporters are psychotic? And for the record, a hypothesis is a theory you test via study/experiment/whatever... it's not the concrete declaration that comes as a result of analyzing the results of the study.

From what I can tell, the results of his study show that Bush supporters are more LIKELY to be psychotic. That's a far cry from declaring all Bush supporters as psychotic. More women voted for Kerry in 04 than for Bush... does that mean you can stretch the wording to say that all women voted for Kerry? No, it does not.

[edit on 5-12-2006 by firebat]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Oh brother. Sounds like this 'masters student' needs to go back to school. Either that, or he's been spending too much time at democraticunderground.com and is now vamping to get a job with Howard Dean.

Seriously .. anyone can make any study come out anyway they want to. I could easily 'do a study' and come up with a title of - 'study results show democrats are lazy'.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That explains why he was voted in a second time!!!!

Only kidding, you yanks aint all that bad

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hey wait a minute that theory is flawed im psychotic and I voted for Fidel Castro! That doesnt make a lick of sense! Yea I would believe that the corilation between someones IQ and who they voted for would have some credence. But not their sanity!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Yea I would believe that the corilation between someones IQ and who they voted for would have some credence.

You would probably be right, too.

img125.exs.cx...

[edit on 5-12-2006 by firebat]

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I woudlnt say psychotic..

just lacking a basic moral principal!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
That IQ chart has been debunked so many times, I can't believe it's come back up.

There has never been any study to determine average IQ by state, so it'd be impossible to create no matter what.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Oh man I needed a good laugh!!! But really considering how rabid some bush supporters can be, is there any real doubt?

We hold these truths to be self evident!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just goes to show how far you can get with dumb & crazy in your corner.

Nobody ever got rich betting against dumb & crazy.

To be fair I don't think this study shows that BUsh voters are necessarily all crazy

But I think there is a lot of truth in the basic conclusion the study actually came to: people with mental illness are more likely to be drawn to authoritarian leaders, and authoritarian solutions. Personally I consider the idea that you can somehow force the world to be the way you want it to be to be a sign of mental illness itself.

[edit on 12/5/06 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
To be fair I don't think this study shows that BUsh voters are necessarily all crazy

Of course it doesn't. It doesn't even have to do with how many Bush supporters ARE crazy. It has to do with ONE given Bush supporter and the probability (calculated in this study, according to this guy) that this given Bush supporter is crazy. And according to this guy, who may or may not know what he's talking about, that given Bush supporter is LIKELY to be crazy based on the data from this guy's study (bogus or not).

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The IQ chart made me laugh...

[edit on 5-12-2006 by laiguana]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
A masters student at Southern Connecticut State University says he has proven a direct link between mental illness and support for Bush. The study found a correlation between the severity of a persons psychosis and there preference for the president. The more psychotic the voter the more likely they were to vote for Bush. This study began as a project to register mentally ill people and to encourage them to vote. The project also was assessing knowledge of current issues and politics. The conclusion of the study is that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader, if your world is mixed up it is comforting for someone to tell you this is how its going to be.

www.alternet.org
…Lohse's study, backed by SCSU Psychology professor Jaak Rakfeldt and statistician Misty Ginacola, found a correlation between the severity of a person's psychosis and their preferences for president: The more psychotic the voter, the more likely they were to vote for Bush.

The study began in part as an advocacy project "designed to register mentally ill voters and encourage them" to vote, while assessing "knowledge of current issues, government and politics." The Bush trend emerged in the course of the study, according to Lohse, who describes himself as a "Reagan revolution fanatic" who nonetheless finds Bush "beyond the pale." During the course of the study, it emerged that "Bush supporters has significantly less knowledge about current issues, government and politics than those who supported Kerry," and that greater levels of psychosis predicted Bush support.

"Our study shows that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader," Lohse says. "If your world is very mixed up, there's something very comforting about someone telling you, 'This is how it's going to be'."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I will grant it that the student doing the study knows his field, and am sure the date he collected is correct. However I just cant say I agree with the broad based hypotheses. The finding that the more mixed up your world is means the more authoritative leader you want may in its self be true, but to make the statement that all President Bushes voters are psychotic is something I rank right up there by not even worth paying a passing glance. All that aside, it is kind of an interesting read.

Related News Links:
english.pravda.ru
www.worldmagblog.com
www.wonkette.com
www.truthdig.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scientogy? Crazy Nuts or what?

Do you think that this realy has something to do with Bush cmoing from Texas ... or something else that Bush has done ... or the Fact that we made him president and now they are MEDIA CONTROLLED !?!?!??! ... Would make more sense that their more in tune with eveyrthing that goes on around them ... That is all Psychotic people are people who are thinking to much and don't take common sense things for granted they want to see them ... ANOTHER WORD maybe VERY VERY VERY GROUNDED or so they think ... Untill one day when they realize that thier whole world around them that GOD made for them is there whether they can see it all or not ... anyways .. Most of you will be like wow this guy is RANDOM .. sory my . thinks to fast for my fingers ... and it won't go back most of the time .. Fun times .. anyways.. Maybe I have ADD .. or ADHD .. Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
And according to this guy, who may or may not know what he's talking about, that given Bush supporter is LIKELY to be crazy based on the data from this guy's study (bogus or not).

It doesn't even say that.

As I read it, the "study" is among only "crazy" people. Among "crazy" people, he says, the "crazier" you are means you are more likely to support Bush.

That says nothing about the larger non-crazy population.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by firebat
And according to this guy, who may or may not know what he's talking about, that given Bush supporter is LIKELY to be crazy based on the data from this guy's study (bogus or not).

As I read it, the "study" is among only "crazy" people. Among "crazy" people, he says, the "crazier" you are means you are more likely to support Bush.

Good point.... which pretty much shuts the door on the study's credibility....

I love your avatar, btw.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

You're right, the guy never says All Bush Supporters are crzy either. You are twisting his words, actually, you are making up words and applying them to this guy. He clearly states

The crazier a person is the more likely they are to vote for an Authorative President. Since Bush was the more Authorative Figure in the 04 run they were more likely to vote for Bush.

Never did he say all Bush Supporters are crazy. Stop making things up to make him look bad. I know this study makes Bush look bad if you don't read the study. But when you read it you will understand and not make things up to protect Bush when this study doesn't go after Bush. If it had been Kerry vs Hitler the crazies would have voted for Hitler because he was the more Authorative figure. Kerry vs Castro, Saddam, whoever, they would have voted for the more Authorative figure because they find comfort in someone telling them "This is the way it is." It brings order to their chaotic lives.
Also, you say the IQ chart was debunked yet no proof. So, is it debunked because you don't like it? Fine, Bush never won the 2004 elections, its been debunked so many times I can't believe people still bring it up. How was it debunked? Because I said so. At the bottom of the list it says how the IQs were taken from "IQ And The Wealth Of Nations" Done by the Ravens APT and The Test Agency, UK's leading publishers and distrubitors of psychometric tests. Not www.Democratunderground.com but by two things in the UK, allies to America, whose PM is Butt Buddies with Bush. I'm sure he wants to make his secret lover look bad by calling his voters stupid.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by Um Hi]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The IQ Chart was debunked here:

www.snopes.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I woudlnt say psychotic..

just lacking a basic moral principal!

Funny..Most who voted for Bush voted for him because of moral principles...

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Here is a blown up version of the IQ chart,ummm, there is not a very big gap between the states. While it does seem that the blue states do have a little higher IQ than the red ones, ummm, I seriously doubt that you could tell much difference between them in the classroom.

Well,I guess I won't be posting one big enough for anyone to see,but the average was..

Blue state : 101

Red: 99

Not much of a differential there.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
SpeakerofTruth

Funny..Most who voted for Bush voted for him because of moral principles...

Yes like stem cells being more important to Christian values than Iraqi lives. Sane!!!

Regarding Bush’s attractiveness to psychopaths I see something other than the strongman factor: he has created a very much “us and them” approach i.e. “you’re either with me or you’re with the terrorists”.
The terrorists are a frightening outside force that you cannot easily control (much like peoples own mental illnesses). The state with its flag, .ed by the Republic Party and determined to stay until the “cure is found?” is apparently in a battle that cannot be lost, where defeat is not an option (much like a person battling with their inner demons).

Mad America…
1 in 5 Americans are crazy (diagnosable mental disorder)
www.incrisis.org...
The statistics
www.oas.samhsa.gov...

And…
www.psychiatrictimes.com...

25% of Mexican-born immigrants show signs of mental illness or substance abuse, compared with 48% of U.S.-born Mexican Americans.

(So American society would seem to be breeding mental illness, or at least presumably if your lower down the economic scale).

Now if I was a politician I would be wondering how to tap into all those mad votes, so hear are some policies I would suggest…

HOW TO GET THE MAD VOTES…

Mid East
1. Promise to stay the course in Iraq for another 4-40 years
2. Reinstall the corpse of Saddam Hussein as president of Iraq
3. Kidnap and be. the Iranian president on TV

Domestic…
1.Compulsory bed time bible reading for all American kids
2.The world trade centres to be reconstructed in the shape of the “two fingers”
3.Rocket launching lessons in class (homeland security)
4.Disposable I.D for minorities
5.Toilet paper to carry pictures of Osama
6. Army to use Mexican border as an assault course

Economic….
1.Credit card debt to be cancelled every Independence Day
2.American dollars to carry the logo’s of large corporations (such as McDonals)
3.Entrepreneurs to be given Olympic style gold, silver and bronze medals

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join