It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Bolton has resigned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
John Bolton has resigned as the US ambassador to the UN. Bolton had been appointed on a temporary basis's. The Democratics had continued there opposition to his appointment on a permanent basis's. Bolton will remain in his role until January.

news.bbc.co.uk
President Bush's UN ambassador is resigning his post because he cannot get Senate backing to stay in the job.

Outgoing UN Ambassador John Bolton of the United States
Bolton was appointed on a temporary basis

If Mr Bush's Republican Party had kept control of the Senate in last month's elections, they might have been able to get John Bolton confirmed.

But those Democrats who oppose him have the wind in their sails and they made it clear that the nomination was dead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I admit that I don't know a huge amount about Bolton's background this dose seem to be a case of partisan politics getting in the way of what could have been in the US governments best interests.

I'm sure that there are times when Bolton style isn't appropriate but I think that any ambassador to the UN needs to have a forceful personality due to the nature of the organization.

Even if you don't agree with the US governments policy's the best people should be put in place in order to promote what is considered to be in the US government interests.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Bolton was only in there for something like 18 months and yet he was a lightning rod in the UN. He fought against internal and international corruption. Bolton was a no bs kind of guy. We need more people like him. Just imagine what Bolton would do if he was president, I'm sure a guy like that would get to the bottom of some American conspiracies. Bolton for President!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
For a guy who didn't really even have the job (he was more of a temp), he sure talked a lot of smack. He's a drama queen, always on tv, always threatening to blow up a country.

Bolton was an agitator and I'm glad he's gone... or will be, in January.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
In a time like this we can't have a pushover at the UN, we need someone who gets results and is not afraid to express and push our viewpoint and interests. Having Bolton in there now was, IMO, like having Adlai Stevenson as the ambassador during the Cuban missile crisis. I'm interested to see who the new ambassador nominee will be...

Oh yeah, Bolton threatened to blow up a country? Say what...

[edit on 5-12-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
He fought against internal and international corruption.

By "internal," do you mean 'national'? Or 'within the UN'?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Best news i've heard all day.

In terms of diplomacy, the guy was right up there with Hulk Hogan.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
He fought against internal and international corruption. Bolton was a no bs kind of guy. We need more people like him.

This is the reason why the Democrats don't want to confirm him.

I've seen Bolton in action and he didn't take any crap.

The Dems want someone who can kiss international butt.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
We need a super diplomat there and its going to be very hard replacing Kofi Anan.

No cowboys need apply.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I too would like to know which countries Bolton threatened to blow up.

And Intelearthling, you're right. The Dems want someone who will write the "Kerry Global Test" for us.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I too am glad for his resignation. I think this man was just another blockade towards peace and he had other interests in mind other then US interests. He was no ambassador. I would like to see what happens with this NSA spying investigation where he had some of the US UN team under surveilance. Im curious to see what he was wasting taxpayer money on and to whom he was reporting his findings to and on who's behalf he was acting.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I too am glad for his resignation. I think this man was just another blockade towards peace and he had other interests in mind other then US interests. He was no ambassador. I would like to see what happens with this NSA spying investigation where he had some of the US UN team under surveilance. Im curious to see what he was wasting taxpayer money on and to whom he was reporting his findings to and on who's behalf he was acting.

In other words, you are waiting for something to surface to justify your preconceived judgements.

After all, we all know that UN workers never do anything wrong.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

After all, we all know that UN workers never do anything wrong.

Well OBVIOUSLY since he was never given the job permanently he was not doing the right thing. It just takes some people a little more time to absorb that though I guess. The investigation into this NSA check of course also must sit well with you too and is surely the sign of someone who was doing the right thing.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Bolton is a bomb-thrower.

His appointment as UN ambassador was a poor choice - the man has always been openly hostile to the UN and to multilateral diplomacy in general.

Not to mention, the man is famous for his rude personal manner, abuse of subordinnates and colleagues - exactly the guy you want represeinting you to potential allies

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Bolton's job as a recess appointment was to protect and further the interests of the US at the UN. He did that very well. As for the fact that he might have hurt someone's feeling in the past, well that's life, isn't it?

As for the charge that he "has always been openly hostile to the UN and to multilateral diplomacy in general", well, show me where and when, please.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The man was definitly not working for the USA, he was an Israeli agent working for Israel and nothing more.

His previous work references:
the American Enterprise Institute; Project for the New American Century(PNAC); Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs(JINSA) and the Committee for Peace and Security in the Gulf. Before his appointment as US Ambassador to the United Nations, Bolton served as Undersecretary of State for Arms Control.

the Israeli ambassador to the UN identified Bolton as "a secret member of Israel's own team at the United Nations," underlining his confidence in Bolton by stating, "Today the secret is out. We really are not just five diplomats. We are at least six including John Bolton."

Source

top topics

join