It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says it plans to build Permanent Moon Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Mod Edit: ATSNN Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — NASA may be going to the same old moon with a ship that looks a lot like a 1960s Apollo capsule, but the space agency said Monday that it's going to do something dramatically different this time: Stay there.

Unveiling the agency's bold plan for a return to the moon, NASA said it would establish an international base camp on one of the moon's poles, permanently staffing it by 2024, four years after astronauts land there.

It is a sweeping departure from the Apollo moon missions of the 1960s and represents a new phase of space exploration after space shuttles are retired in 2010.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It sounds like NASA has decided to go the permanent moon base route instead of the temporary. Personally, I am really excited about this news and I think this is just what NASA needs right now. A moon base will go a long way in colonizing the solar system. Hopefully this will get Americans more interested in NASA and colonizing the solar system.

For the first time in a while I am happy with the direction NASA is taking, Cheers NASA!

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.cnn.com

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 6/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

MBF

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What in the world took them so long.

This could have been done decades ago.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Have the moon people decided to allow us back? As i recall, much was said about ET's having bases on the moon and not allowing us there. Maybe they've completed their mission, eh?

Very interesting.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Could someone please explain the purpose of this?

They said in the news story that is for future missions to Mars. But why?
Haven't we already been to Mars, well not in person, but lander craft and found pretty much nothing but rocks and sand?

What exactly are they looking for?

I just cant see the purpose of spending squillions of dollars sending man to a dead planet.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burginthorn
I just cant see the purpose of spending squillions of dollars sending man to a dead planet.

This is a common mindset for some reason.

It’s not just about collecting rocks or visiting a dead planet, it’s about enabling humans to go collect rocks on other solar bodies and how we are going to visit other planets.

The technology that will be invented (or will need to be invented) to place a physical man on Mars will be just as big a boon to the overall world of technology just as in the Gemini, Mercury and Apollo days.

So many persons either don’t know or forgot the technologies we all take for granted today that were spun from the NASA space exploration programs. There are literally thousands and thousands of innovative items that were created just to put men on the moon and collect rocks that most of us use daily in some form.

Millions of people have had their lives saved, enriched or prolonged by the technologies gained through NASA’s research in space exploration not to mention daily basic applicable technologies….(aside from the obvious)… working dialysis filters, CAT scan technology, MRI, heart implants, cordless power tools, Velcro, automobile and airplane design programs, super glue, computer component enhancements, sanitary water filtration systems, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, technology that enabled home satellite television dishes, large leaps in firefighting and sports equipment, advanced plastics to computer game components…the list is as impressive as it is long.

Here is a short list.

Raising the bar by attempting to place a man on Mars and establishing a habitat on the moon may well open the door to scores of newer and even more innovative beneficial technologies.

But before one sits in judgment about space exploration as a form of waste at some superficial face value, look beyond the obvious end goal to what will be required to attain the goal itself.

mg

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hey Missed...

Excellent. I have to agree with you 100%. People seem to forget the things you have mentioned. The apollo missions - the whole space program for that matter, is about the achievements of mankind. It's about "Inventing" the tools and equipment that will make space travel to other worlds possible. It's bigger than just building a base on the moon or a manned mission to mars.

An industry needs to be created around the "idea" so people will believe in it and invest money, time, energy and effort. This could be the greatest thing to happen to the scientific community since the apollo missions.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I deeply agree with the last two posts and the importance they place on this mission for the future of NASA.

Has anyone seen any pictures/specifics of this permanent moon base? You would think if NASA was going to go ahead with a project this big they would already have detailed models and blueprints to show the public, wouldn't you?

I am interested to see how they plan on constructing the base and with what! I would love to see NASA create an automated brick factory out of which we could build such a base. Or are they planning on using multiple capsules to make up a base?

If anyone has more info about the permanent moon base please let us know!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
What in the world took them so long.

Since the moon base is supposed to be on the south pole NASA had to enter into negotiations with the aliens living on the dark side of the moon.

Seriously .. This is great news. I hope it is completed on (or ahead) of schedule and I hope it is highly sucessful. Considering this won't be up and running until around 2030 ... I'm going to be too old (or dead) to enjoy it for very long.

But at least I know they are moving in the right direction!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks they allready have had a base on the moon for the last 3 decades?

Its on the back side where it cant be seen from earth.

It was so easy to keep secret because so many people thought we didn't even go.

Maybe I'm nuts but it really would make sense.

Wouldn't the back side be the best place to put a radio telescope ?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Low-orbit,

I don't think you understood the posts by myself or missed-gear.

It is not so much as important for NASA, as it is important to "SCIENCE" and "INVENTION". We are going to have to "INVENT" or "CREATE" systems and technology that does not yet exsist.

There may not be any plans/pictures of what a moon base would look like because it needs to be invented!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I really hope this happens. It does, however, raise some interesting questions.

Other posters have already remarked about the "conspiracy theories" surrounding the Apollo missions being "warned off", about there being bases there already, and so on.

So the first question that we're going to have to deal with is cost. The US economy is in some trouble just at the moment, and finding the money for a huge project like this is, surely, problematical. Between them, the Russians, the US, and Europe and Japan are falling behind with the ISS, and taking people to and from it - especially with the retirement of the shuttle due soon - is far from cheap and easy.

Are we, I wonder, a short step away from the disclosure of a radical new technology that will allow this ambitious project to go forward without the wastefulness of disposable rocketry? I'd really like to think so, but, you know, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

The next question is the nature of the base. Will it be primarily a military base? How will it be resupplied? How will personnel be rotated? If we're having trouble with the ISS, the lines of communication to a lunar base will be far longer.

MBF

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Considering this won't be up and running until around 2030 ... I'm going to be too old (or dead) to enjoy it for very long.

Heck!!! I'll be 72....if they are on time.

You know how the government does things................I'll be cold in my grave by the time they get it going.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join