It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vostok lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Last year ther was some information about the russians digging a hole in the ice in antartica and that they reached lake vostok.Apparently, the americans were opposed to that cause there is something myterious there and that they contaminated the lake with toxic waste they used to melt the ice.

I heard the russians found a magnetic anomaly in the lake
Im not sure if there is a link but at the same time some websites published pictures of a magnetic disruption in antartica atmosphere.Cant find those pictures now.

then nothing else,someone heard something about that lately?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There are a ton of articles on the site already. Just do a quick search for "lake Vostok" and set the time back to the beginning. Also, just have it search the ats forums. I was going to copy and paste the links for you, but there are just too many threads, and I am getting ready to hit the hay.

Lake Vostok is a really intriguing place on the earth. I know there was alot of contention about the best way to drill without contaminating the lake itself, and also to try and prevent any contaminents from reaching the surface. I believe the lake itself is from before the last ice age, and just got covered by a glacier.

I hadn't heard that the Russians had already drilled into the lake, but I did read about the magnetic anomaly you mentioned. It would be a shame if they did, because the lake is a pristine enviornment, and the ecosystem there has had a chance to evolve differently from the rest of the planet.

One interesting thing we can learn from lake Vostok is how to proceed when we send a drill to Jupiters moon, Europa. The conditions are kind of similar, a large ice sheet covering liquid water. But they had better be really careful about how they go about doing that, it would really be terrible if they ended up wiping out alien species with bacteria brought to the moon from the earth.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
thanks for that info!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Ive read all this stuff about how mysterious Antarctica is, but never seen any evidence supporting it.

Kraggen, I know that you dont have any links handy, but I was wondering if you could recount anything you have heard about the mysterious object beneath the ice in that region?

new topics

top topics

join