It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans must colonise other planets: Stephen Hawking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Full Story (Zee News)

London, Dec 02: - Humans must colonize planets in other solar systems traveling there using "Star Trek"-style propulsion or face extinction, renowned British cosmologist Stephen Hawking said on Thursday.

In a way i dont think that is ever going to hapen. Based on some theories (Annunakai, beings that warned against Apollo 11 landings...ect.) I seriously doubt that whatever put us here...or any intelligent life that has visited this planet, is going to let such a murderous seed reach for the stars. But thats just my personal opinion.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well did you see this thread on the moon base?

ATS Thread

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Google news says its not going to happen till 2020, and numbers doubled in 2024?? do you think we actually landed?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think we landed...

Have you seen "The Disclosure Project: The Truth about UFO's" on Google video? One of the individuals that gives testimony states he saw undoctored satelite images of the back side of the moon and there was what appeared to be structures on the surface. Interesting claim to say the least...

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I do like some of Hawking's theories, but I disagree with this idea. I think humans should NOT settle outside this planet, except maybe the moon, and that's it. If humans did such a thing they would be behaving like a parasite, infecting other planets that could have developed ecosystems of their own, or they would possibily interfere with other ecosystems that are already in existence. So yeah, I give this idea two thumbs

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I do like some of Hawking's theories, but I disagree with this idea. I think humans should NOT settle outside this planet, except maybe the moon, and that's it. If humans did such a thing they would be behaving like a parasite, infecting other planets that could have developed ecosystems of their own, or they would possibily interfere with other ecosystems that are already in existence. So yeah, I give this idea two thumbs

Sounds a bit like the starcraft story written by Chris Metzen of Blizzard Entertainment. The only thing Stephen Hawking is right about is that the human race pretty much has its fate sealed if it stays here on this planet, Im not saying we wont shouldent collonise other planets...i simply think we will wipe ourselves out before anything lets us.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We stand at a pivitol turning point. We have the power to destroy ourselves AND the power to ensure our infinite survival. Call me an "optimist" if you wish, but I think we can, will, and SHOULD colonize other star systems. Even "parasites" (as they are so villianized) have their place in the universe.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
[sarcasm]

Yes, let's colonize other planets whilst we arent mature to even handle ourselves poverty or terrorism. Let's go and make babies on other planets and leave this peiece of junk we left from its pollution and sewage dump, and destroy another planet. No, let's make contact with aliens not knowing there intentions and trust them to give us a push forward while we're still children playing with nuclear tech and hacking. We're not worth going to other planets yet people. Unless of course its a hunk of rock. If it was a foresty planet, I'd shoot the . beep . right in the head. Soo lets make a lot of spaceships, all over the world and get people aboard them and blast off into outerspace whilst the flames from the engines burn and pollute wats left of so-called breathable air. And having doves and seagalls feathers burnt to crisp and go KASPLAT on the oily pavement.

[/sarcasm]

BTW. I meant every word but with all my rights reserved to modify in a later date. As of now it is expired but valid in the timeline posted!

7A

[edit on 4-12-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Langolier
We stand at a pivitol turning point. We have the power to destroy ourselves AND the power to ensure our infinite survival. Call me an "optimist" if you wish, but I think we can, will, and SHOULD colonize other star systems. Even "parasites" (as they are so villianized) have their place in the universe.

If infact humans DO abandon this planet, THIS i think be a likely scenario.

Also, there is the thought that why would we spread countless generations of genetically mutated viruses that have killed countless people...into space? But then again, there is the thought that all viruses on earth were once space-born organisms fallen to earth.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

So extinction it is then! /sarcasm

People who do not want to explore just for the sake of exploration are not Human in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
People who do not want to explore just for the sake of exploration are not Human in my opinion.

That...doesnt make a whole lot of sence, can you ellaborate a bit?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Our entire experience from birth is about Exploration. From Exploring our Environment as a toddler to exploring Life as an Adult. We have to curtail real Territorial Exploration quite a bit and limit it to "pseudo" exploration through Video games and Movies, which unfortunately is mostly written by Technological Luddites. Just take a gander at history. Why do we cross the next hill? Because it's there. People who aren't curious aren't Human in my opinion.

It always saddens me when people come out against Space Exploration due to some Matrix-inspired creed that we are a parasite or a virus. Self-Loathing at it's worst.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I wasn't inspired, I just happened to agree with Agent Smith. He made the concept popular because it's true. On another note I'd like to say that yes, extinction would be a better fate for the human population than to colonize other planets.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

On another note I'd like to say that yes, extinction would be a better fate for the human population than to colonize other planets.

Not better, but its all we are limiting ourselves to.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I simply see it as a must,its all about numbers we won't be able to sustain the growth of population...albeit 50-100 years or so.

Plus resources... with shat this planet up grabbed everything we can and ruined the place because we didn't know what we were doing...and didn't want to know when we found out.
We need to go n grab from other planets to (again) sustain our growth.
Plus... the leading nations seem to have come lethargic,no space race no great war no industrial revolution,we need something aim for to,to unite and aspire to.
Than again it could all go horribly wrong and we could have that great war....but in space! ohhh!

Hopefully colonisation will allow us to...think and plan before we act and grow up a bit as people.

P.S. As for that terrorism bit....well you'll always have people who go against main stream opinion and some unfortunatly will be nutters.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I think a POLL would go very nicely in this thread. Hint HINT *cough...dark matter...cough*

But in responce to your post piriton, Humans are simply too territorial and secretive to unite.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I was thinking about this subject a little bit, in order to successfully colonise another planet one would need to send out 10,000 humans on a ship that would be able to sustain itself for a massivly long journy. Honestly at this point it would take centuries to find a planet with simmilar qualities as the Earth.

Colonising the moon would be to risky, if a cosmic impact occoured it would kill the colony.

Mars is out because it would take too many resorses to effectivly build a suitable colony on the planet.

you would want to find a planet with an atmosphere similar to earth. with a gravity somewhere close to Earths. of course you wouldent find one exactly but humans are adaptable creatures and would be able to survive in a higher gravity. They would adapt rather quickly.

The reason for the search for a suitable earth type planet is simple. If something happens to the earth it would spell death to a colony that would rely on earth for supply. So this trip would take us out of the solar system onto the next star, Now there is no gurantee that the next system over has a earth type planet. So the colony ship would have to be able to sustain itself for a Very long time.

Perhaps most of the colonists would be in some sort of stasis or suspended animation. perhaps the ship would be large enough to allow everyone to stay awake and thus reproduction would occour to maintain the 10,000 people number.

I just thought that with 10,000 people you would have enough genetic diversity to populate another planet and sustain a good size colony.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satanic Pokemon
If infact humans DO abandon this planet, THIS i think be a likely scenario.

Also, there is the thought that why would we spread countless generations of genetically mutated viruses that have killed countless people...into space? But then again, there is the thought that all viruses on earth were once space-born organisms fallen to earth.

I take it you are afraid of said viruses infecting alien organisms? The chances of that are quite low. The Earth is doomed eventually anyway, as is most of the solarsystem. I think that judging humanity unworthy of life on the basis the mistakes they have made (but strive to correct) in developing as an intelligent species is misguided.

new topics

top topics

join