It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Black And White Checkered Floor

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Trinityman

Without going into too much detail I am fairly certain that it is part of all US ritual.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
The timeline of the development of the speculative lodge wouldn't allow for such a link. Early speculative lodges in the 18th century did not have a checkered floor, but used the floor to draw, or trace, masonic symbols upon which they subsequently referred to during the masonic lectures of the time This practice developed into the creation of a 'tracing cloth' which was rolled out for meetings and put away again afterwards, and further evolved into the tracing boards which are used today.

I thought that the tracing cloth evolved from the operatives use of a tracing board -usually gypsum I believe, which the Master Mason would use to draw out the outlines from which templates were cut. The Tracery Board at the Mason's Lodge above the Chapterhouse vestibule at York Minster still shows the faint lines of some of the tracery of the windows.

I assumed that the chequered floor was something quite different and I cannot say that I am entirely satisfied with the 'vacumn' thang. The light and dark/good and evil makes perfect sense and hints at earlier dualistic christianities as well as the connection to Islamic symbolism.

I'm afraid that my mind if too ractically bent - the esoteric is lost on me. I defer to your superior insight - but be warned I may be back....

At no point in any initiation or ceremony is a freemason barefoot. Occasionally one or both feet are slipshod, partly as a sign of humility but it should also be noted that there is an old Scottish tradition that an unknotted, or unlatched shoe, represents 'luck' and averts 'danger'.

Obviously, if it is only practiced in the US that discounts my theory of it demonstrating a connection between the York Masons and Templars.

Does it have anything to do with the Scottish Rite maybe?

Trinityman, you don't seem to hold with the idea of there being any connection with the Freemasons and Templars. I'm not claiming that there IS one but I certainly see enough evidence here in York to suggest that there COULD be one. I find it frustrating that there is so little serious 'speculation' on the subject. But there you go we can't have everything.........

Nice talking to you
Best wishes

Thanks to AugustusMasonicus too - out of curiousity which branch of Freemasonry do you belong to?

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Just a question for you guys, do you join this forum as masons or as regular people.

I actually joined this forum for the "Ancient & Lost Civilizations" forum, which I enjoy the most. However, because of all the anti-Masonic and other misinformation I keep seeing here, I find myself reading and replying here the most, unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Without going into too much detail I am fairly certain that it is part of all US ritual.

You have already given the details friend.........

Sigh.

Anyways,

In the US I have never been to a lodge with a checkered floor .. Granted I have not been to nearly as many as members who have been in Masonry for years, but I can also say that I have never heard of a lodge with a checkered floor.. I had asked once why our lodge did not, and they responded that because our carpet has a "pattern" on it, it qualifies as the same thing .. but the actual checkered floor seems to be a European aspect, though I would not be surprised if it was used in the New England side of the states, they seem to have more European traditions then the rest of the country.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
I thought that the tracing cloth evolved from the operatives use of a tracing board -usually gypsum I believe, which the Master Mason would use to draw out the outlines from which templates were cut. The Tracery Board at the Mason's Lodge above the Chapterhouse vestibule at York Minster still shows the faint lines of some of the tracery of the windows.

The modern tracing boards used in freemasonry are certainly an evolution from tracing cloths used in the 18th and early 19th centuries, which in turn were a development (driven by convenience) from the original practice of chalking the symbols on the floor. There are some great pictures of modern tracing boards at www.tracingboards.com if you don't already know about that site.

Medieval tracing boards are not to be confused with the modern ones. The tracing board of the old master mason was the equivalent of a modern drawing-board, where the plans for the intended structure or parts thereof were drawn out, much like architects plans today. To 'trace' means much more than just to 'copy' - in essence it means to 'trace out' eg to scheme, devise, plan, draw or sketch. The word originally comes from the Latin tractus - tracery as found in gothic windows is from the same root.

I assumed that the chequered floor was something quite different and I cannot say that I am entirely satisfied with the 'vacumn' thang. The light and dark/good and evil makes perfect sense and hints at earlier dualistic christianities as well as the connection to Islamic symbolism.

The concept of the juxtaposition of good and evil is not an exclusively masonic one, of course. Almost all masonic symbolism is borrowed from somewhere else. Which is fine, because freemasonry doesn't teach anything new, just the same old stuff in a different way. But the fact remains that the earliest masonic lodges did not have checkerboard floorings, and the fact that they were introduced later virtually eliminates a direct evolution from earlier organizations.

The apparent lack of checkerboard floorings in the US seems to support this position.

Trinityman, you don't seem to hold with the idea of there being any connection with the Freemasons and Templars. I'm not claiming that there IS one but I certainly see enough evidence here in York to suggest that there COULD be one. I find it frustrating that there is so little serious 'speculation' on the subject. But there you go we can't have everything.........

That is indeed the frustration - there could be a connection. My personal view is that the Templars could well have influenced the development of early speculative freemasonry, particularly through Scotland where it is hypothesed by some that the Templars sought refuge. We simply don't know enough about it. However I would suggest that the influence of Friendly Societies, the Enlightenment, and even the Jacobite rebellion were greater influences than the Templars. Not to forget the medieval stonemasons

Nice talking to you

Always a pleasure.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ha Ha, well, if someone knows what the black and white checked floor means, please tell me. I had a dream, about 30 years ago, of this floor. Charlie Chaplin was there, in the dream. Someone told me to stomp on the floor. I can't remember if I was supposed to stomp on the white tile or the black tile, then stand there and a spaceship would pick me up. The rapture was happening, and some silver spaceships were picking up people for the rapture. They left without me. I ran outside and started chasing the spaceships. I couldn't believe that I was "left behind" and missed the rapture. What a strange dream!

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

You have already given the details friend.........

Sigh.

If this is an example of your secrets it is small wonder that you treat the baiters with such derision.

I suppose it is pointless pursuing this topic further......

All the best

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

My personal view is that the Templars could well have influenced the development of early speculative freemasonry, particularly through Scotland where it is hypothesed by some that the Templars sought refuge. We simply don't know enough about it.

While I don't dismiss the Scottish connection I think that it was a 'different' experience to that of the Templars in the North of England, particularly in York. The Templars in York went no-where. Some were imprisoned for a while and were no longer able to call themsleves Templars. Some joined the order of St Johns Hospitalliers as instructed by the Pope, but as most of the York Templars refused to admit heresy this was not necessarily an option.

There are many misconceptions about the Templars but as it is going somewhat off topic now I will refrain from droning on....this once.

However I would suggest that the influence of Friendly Societies, the Enlightenment, and even the Jacobite rebellion were greater influences than the Templars. Not to forget the medieval stonemasons

I personally feel that for some, the enlightenment (or Illumination) began much sooner and it was this that led to the concept of Syonism and eventually to the Anglican-schism. I feel sure that Freemasonry is connected to this (r)evolution of thought in English society and that at one time the secrets were far less esoteric. Just my opinion, but lets face it spying and secrecy are practically part of our national identity - it goes all the way back to King Alfred...its in the blood.

Best wishes
(the pleasure is all mine)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This type floor was made for obsessive Compulsive people who

dare not step in between for fear something terrible will happen!
ha ha ha

I know because i suffered with one of those in my childhood.

They're great for hopscotch, though.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I’ve been to a couple lodges over sea's that have checkered floors and I think it has to do with the duality of man and stepping into light and darkness on every step and action we take. It’s just symbolic that’s all. I guess it shows the stance of freemasonry's point on the morality dilemma of the nature of humans. Being that they are both good and evil and which steps or actions we take decides where we stand,

Of course this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong haha.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ah, it's this. I remember this. I didn't anticipate when I authored this thread two years ago where Mirthful Me's answers would go on to lead me. Most intriguing. Thank you once again, Mirthful There.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GIGANTIC SKY OTTER

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the duality of light and dark, the good and evil that resides in us all...

Also, there was a group of Templar Knights called Knights of the white and black. They were the group that found treasures from King Solomon's temple...I think the Temple itself, also. Not sure.

Possibly they knew of other things (objects, teachings) that non-masons aren't privy to???

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The negative and positive polarities that are within everything. The freemasons are a break away group that were once part of the Rosicrucians. but make sure you find the right Rosicrucians.
Yes hidden masons do exist. 90 per cent of masons do not even know the true meaning of their teachings

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It is my understanding that the black and white square checkerboard floor symbolizes the interaction of two concepts with the human being as the actor. The black and white squares represent light and darkness. Walking upon them is symbolic of the exercise of free will in deciding where our actions will come down on light and darkness.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Checkered floor means where the battlefield between light and darkness take place, so it's an energy field. It's the symbol for cross dimensional travel. It's the place where you can open a door to another world.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

It is my understanding that the black and white square checkerboard floor symbolizes the interaction of two concepts with the human being as the actor. The black and white squares represent light and darkness. Walking upon them is symbolic of the exercise of free will in deciding where our actions will come down on light and darkness.

It's more regarding the tree of life where bad is mixed up with good.
God can be good and can be bad in their notion.The positive factor works among the negative factor as one.It's just a perverted version of things seen in the mirror, twisted around.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It is part of an ancient rituals still used today used to travel into higher dimensions

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

the two are different and not the same nor does one shed light on thee other

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Your views of masonry seems to be the only thing "polluted."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join