It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do parents/teachers expect too much from their kids in school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
Tea

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Do parents/teachers expect too much from their kids in school?

No, they don't expect too much, they expect too little. There should be more homework and much higher standards. The US turns out one attorney for every engineer that Japan produces.

It's no mystery why the Japanese make great electronics, et al. They hold their children to a higher educational standard and it shows.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm torn on the subject actually.

On the one hand, I have a highly developed love for learning and I guess an almost pathalogical curiosity; I HAVE to know how things work and why. This is why I tend to have my nose in a book most of the time.

However, this is a relatively recent development. In high school I didn't care one whit about most subjects, even the ones I had proven aptitude in such as chemistry. I didn't have the attention span or the curiosity and thirst for learning that I developed later.

I think education is wasted on the young. I really wonder if school shouldn't be delayed awhile, perhaps. Or entirely restructured to something that's less of a grading machine and has more attention to the needs of individual students.

While I respect the comments made about schools in Japan, I do feel compelled to point out that despite excellent results and education, the pressures inherent in that sort of system have contributed to a very large problem with teenage suicide.

Better for most, I would think, is to foster a love of learning and curiosity about the world around them, and the history it came from, which would in turn *foster* the learning process.

To the original poster, I would add that while you may think some things have no application (You mentioned Mythology), you'd be surprised what a solid foundation in a variety of subjects can do for you.

I think of it as tools--the more you know, the more tools you have at your disposal, and you never quite know for sure when knowing exactly who Ganymede was will come in handy.

Anyway, that's my coffee-induced ramble for the night . . .

<< 1  2  3   >>

join