It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do parents/teachers expect too much from their kids in school

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sounds like a bunch of whining to me.

Boo hoo, the work is too hard.

Wait until you're in college, or on the job. Then there's no complaining, just do it or your fired.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
usually jobs you go to stay in one place and then go home

school you have to constantly move and do work at home

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
usually jobs you go to stay in one place and then go home

school you have to constantly move and do work at home

It's still the same - there's really no room for whining about your workload. Do it or you're fired.

Also, it depends on the work you do, but at some point or another most people have "homework" to do in order to complete tasks assigned for their jobs.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "constantly move" with regard to school, but not so with jobs?

Or how it's relevant...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
At work lets say you're a cashier you stand there all day, at school you go to several classes hauling around a heavy backpack with all your books and crap

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well then, if you want to be a cashier, I bet your fully qualified now, and you don't need to go to school anymore. That solves that doesn't it.

Honestly I'm baffled, and the worst part is that I used to complain like this when I was a kid too.

Look around at real hard work (bricklayer, construction) and then start complaining about your backpack. Heck, go hiking, then complain about your backpack.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
We should sue them for making us carry heavy stuff, it's gonna throw out my back.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
How much of your time are you lugging around backpacks?

Arenn't you in class most of the time, working, learning and all that?
You shouldn't be walking up and down flights of stairs constantly with a full backpack if you are in class... and don't you have a locker?

As for being able to stand there all day in a cashiers job... some couldn't do that, either. I couldn't, I'd go nuts and my feet would kill me. I'd rather have the backpack...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 (Waters) 3:56

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

"Wrong, Do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

Just had to post that...

And I would also like to add that I agree with the OP.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I know that the public school system sucks, but if we don't push our kids to do the best they can, and more, then we condemn them to a life of mediocrity. Maybe you can't do the work, and maybe you can, but without that boot in the ass telling you to get busy, all we know is that you can beat Halo in a day.

Believe me, I've been there, and I know school sucks. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who enjoyed going to school, or thought it was "easy". The thing to do is do your best, put up with the bull#, then get out when you're done. If you want it to go by faster, work harder so you can earn your credits early.

And remember, don't trust anyone over 35

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I blame the school board. Our whole school system is retarded. In truth it is not designed for teaching us, it is designed to babysit us. I am currently in psychology 12. From what learned about how we learn, our school system is horribly out of date. I could list all the problems in the current system but, I really don't feel like typing that up now.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Would members mind if I ask the age of the posters in this thread?

I'm 24, and graduated HS by the skin of my teeth.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
17, Why? I pretty much always hated the school system. The only reason I go is it is still free learning, even though it is horribly inefficient. Also, I go makes it is "law" for me to do so.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
17, Why?

I just want to get a tally. Point of reference means a lot in these kinds of discussions.

I pretty much always hated the school system. The only reason I go is it is still free learning, even though it is horribly inefficient. Also, I go makes it is "law" for me to do so.

Is English your first language? If so, then I think the school system still has a lot to teach you. If not, then I'd bet you're doing well, (at least in English class).

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
18, i just finished high school last august, I'm in college now.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Amen to that SouthernCross, I couldn't have said it any better. My husband taught for 20 years but finally got so disgusted with standardized testing, stupid policies and not being able to write his own lesson plans because they, too, were "standardized"- that he retired a year ago last June. And he was an excellent teacher, he's still in touch with some of his former students, he was chosen as California Biology Teacher of the Year several times. It's a great loss to education, as his former students have told him. I'm sure that's true for so many teachers out there, as well, and teachers in general don't get any respect or much financial compensation.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm 21 and counting. I read this thread and couldn't help but chuckle to myself, as I used to feel the exact same way. I also graduated by the skin of my teeth at 17, with a very large chip on my shoulder. Most of my time was spent blowing off school, homework assignments, and anything related to education because I felt that it was mainly all a big joke. I felt the teachers didn't do nearly enough for the pay they got, everyone was on a power trip, and a majority of the world owed me something in some way or another.

Thankfully, I have since learned differently. I never went to college due to terrible grades and to be honest, a serious lack of motivation. I have, however, landed a glorious job making more money than most of my college grad friends. Luck? Absolutely not. I made my way to the top.

Point of this rant? You get exactly what you put in.

High school - No effort, no motivation, no drive = no results.

After high school - Drive, effort, understanding, struggle, self education = Great results and disposable income.

Usually when someone is asked "If you could do it over again, would you do anything different?" the answer is almost certainly "No.". I personally, would say yes, simply so I could try in school and make the most of the FREE education, however rediculous it may be. I mean, let's get real, what exactly is better than people paying for you to better your life and chances of success? Beating the new playstation game faster than your friends? C'mon....

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm 15

yea my back is does hurt from time to time, because in between each class 5minutes and 6 classes thats half hour

my backpack has got to be at least 20 pounds

reason why I dont have a locker: you cant trust them because the rain or some idiot who decides to vandalize will cost YOU 60 bucks, also teachers seem to not keep us up to date when we need our books so they say bring them everyday

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
I'm 15

yea my back is does hurt from time to time, because in between each class 5minutes and 6 classes thats half hour

my backpack has got to be at least 20 pounds

Dude, cmon.

Yo BrandonRaps,
That's basically my deal too. I regret not going to college though, solely for the knowledge and experience I could have gained. I may actually go back, but not so I can get a better job. In order to advance in my current field college wouldn't be the most productive way to go.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It seems to be a kind of domino effect in the public schools IMO.

They slash and burn the funding.
What follows is only to be expected...

Fewer teachers and schools closing left, right and center.
Overcrowding in classrooms, means less time for teachers to do their jobs effectively, which means higher workload for student who must now compensate for the teachers who are compensating for the cities, who are compensating for the federal Gov's...

That's not even taking into account the special needs kids or the gifted learners! They are pretty much on their own...with very few funded programs in schools to gear to their abilities.

Schools are dumbing down in many ways. They have to because it is a simple fact that many kids have to a) teach themselves via text books or online with little or no assistance or b) parents have to fill in the gaps.

Thus the curriculum must be "flexible" and "creative" in it's requirements.

My daughter is a special needs learner. She's been monitored since the fifth grade as she's got significant hearing loss...however due to funding there was no place to put her where she could get the help she needed. Remarkably in this, her final year of highschool the Provincial Gov. finally opened a designation and funding for kids with her needs.

She's not deaf...there are tons of resources for deaf children. But for hard of hearing? Nadda until this year!

Daily she comes home with at least three huge text books and notes on what to study and what to write...the teachers can only do so much with what they are given...

The real beasts here are the politicians looking to shave a few dollars off a budget...

It's viral and it will only get worse. I'm thankful this is my kid's last year at public school. Not that university will be much different...

In her classes right now the average size is forty kids to one teacher. This is shameful.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yea, in my Bio class at least 40 kids it's really annoying because we have to share everything

In my math class we are so far behind because we have a blind girl in our class and Im not making fun of her or nothing but the teacer has to explain all our figures and shaps and stuff

yea i guess i can change my opinion on teachers and maybe i should move my complaints to the higher ups, not the teachers

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join