Stem Cell Evidence for Possible Immortality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Relatively simple. The only way that I would favor there being some immortal "miracle" cure for everything is if there was a drastic change in the human mindset... Given that there would be a population explosion that has never been seen, we would have to go to other planetary bodies to live. Now, given what humanity has done to earth, would you trust the present mindset of humanity in another biosphere? I wouldn't. We'd probably just trash that system to..

We haven’t destroyed the earth, nothing is wrong with the earth.
We should go out into space...and we are, not just are satellites that we send to other planets, but Nasa has said were going to the moon by 2020, and by 2024 we will have a good enough infrastructure (moon base) there to have humans stay there for extended periods of time (around 6 months), it will gradually grow, and we will go to mars sometime after that.

When your talking about "us harming the earth", I'm assuming your referring to global warming (Al Gore is a tool)(just though I'd throw that out there)...anywho, global warming has been going on long before we even evolved into humans, so blaming that on us is ridiculous. we have however likely sped it up...and if we can speed it up...we can also slow it down...which we will know doubt do. Its not like we must solve this problem or in 10 years we'll all be dead.
People always play it up, When Katrina hit the US...the vast majority of damage was simply done because of a levee that failed...not because hurricanes have grown immensely from of us polluting the air...it was just a big hurricane season. They predicted it would keel getting worse and next year will be Very Bad...well the 06 hurricane season is over...and it was one of the WEAKEST hurricane seasons of the decade.

We will come up with a solution eventually...even if that means building a giant sunshade that sits between the earth and the sun (yes...that concept really exist), however we resolve it...it will happen. I doubt the earth will ever go into another ice age as long as humans exist on this planet...we simply wont let it.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MurcielagoI doubt the earth will ever go into another ice age as long as humans exist on this planet...we simply wont let it.

Actually, there's evidence to suggest that if the earth heats up too much, that it will force itself into an ice age to cool off. The ocean currents will die if the average temperature of the planet gets too warm, and the trade winds will die, creating a steady decline in the climatological conditions that we currently recognize as weather. This results in a steady decline of the temperature, until the ocean's temp gets cool enough to start the currents up again.

Some things to think on.

TheBorg

[Edit for PS]

P.S.

As for the topic at hand, stem cells are just one way of getting the body to regenerate or replace cells that have either been damaged or killed as a result of some disease. Lets hope something good comes of the research currently being done on it.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by TheBorg]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
@ Murcielago

What?
How can you say that humanity hasn't harmed the earth? What planet are you living on? I don't mean to sound condescending, but really... So, you don't think that,"global warming" aside, that our polluting the rivers,lakes,streams and oceans is harming the earth. You don't think throwing toxic chemicals into the air is harming the earth? Wow... You are quite the revisionist of what is harmful aren't you?
Anyways, this is way off topic but I had to respond..

[edit on 6-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Anyone who chooses to live an immortal life should be forced not to breed.
This alone would stop any issues regarding overpopulation because of this.

I would have no problem with this.

Why start a new life from it's beginning, when the original can continue on with the experiences and knowlege it already has. There isn't a reason. By giving birth and dying, you are simply restarting a system all over again. Keep the original running, and theres no need to restart.

Alot of you will immediately combat that with "but evolution needs life to restart to work"... evolution no longer serves much of a purpose to our race. Any modifications we want to make we already can, or soon will be able to.

Our technology is already surpassing what evolution can do for us.

Plus, an immortal being would most likely get killed eventually... seeing how much the human race seems to love war and conflict.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Johnsky, I would agree with you assessment that people who elected to become "immortal" shouldn't be allowed to procreate.. However, with all of that being said, it still won't keep overpopulation from occurring. And people such as Hawkins are already screaming that we had better start planning to go to other planets and set up colonies... So.... there you have it.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Could also just send the ones that choose to be immortal to other planets to procreate. Gotta have prime breeding stock to kickstart the new planet's population, right? I can see myself signing up for that job right now!!

Put be down!!

TheBorg

new topics

<< 1   >>

join