It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disasters : quakes / tsunamis / State of mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wasn't really sure where to put this :

I am trying to gather thoughts and peoples states of minds for a paper when facing extreme disasters and potentially devastating disasters. (It's not the happiest paper ever) Not so much the first hand perspective, but along the lines of what the average casual person thinks about some of the scenarios / disasters that have happened recently.

I've read a lot of the articles from sites like www.armageddononline.org... and Exit Mundi - I was just trying to find a community where I could gather some INTELLIGENT opinions (hopefully without trolls) to use in my paper.

Thank you much,
Josh

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Check for topics and papers on scholar.google.com. There's been quite a bit of work done on this -- look for things like PTSD as well.

The mindset AND culture (including the country where they live and their religion (if any, or non-religion)) and relative power within that culture also have an impact. It's devastating for most of the people on the board to suddenly be without water, electricity, and transportation for two weeks... but to the Kalahari Bushmen it's no big deal.

Here's a FEMA document covering some reading on this type of material:
www.training.fema.gov...

Cross-cultural counseling goes into some of the issues:
www.massey.ac.nz...

Blog entry with other information:
savageminds.org...

Thesis on this topic with lots of references:
www.anthrobase.com...

...there's a start for you.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow, thank you very much. Ill probably post the paper around a few sites to get some feedback when I'm done.

join