It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another E-Coli Outbreak - This Time In New Jersey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There is yet another outbreak of E. coli only this time in South Plainfield, NJ, with approximately nineteen cases. The victims range in age from 1 to 23 and two of victims are believed to have developed what could be a life threatening ailment known as hemolytic uremic syndrome that can permanently damage the kidneys. Eleven of the victims reportedly had eaten at a local Taco Bell which has since "voluntarily" closed..

www.amny.com
With seven victims of an E. coli outbreak in central New Jersey still hospitalized, authorities were trying to discover how and where they were infected.

Health officials said that the number of confirmed E. coli cases has risen to 19, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported Monday on its Web site.

Two of the patients have developed a serious condition called hemolytic uremic syndrome that can permanently damage the kidneys.

"It's a significant outbreak and it's a serious disease," Middlesex County Director of Health David Papi said Sunday.

At least two of the victims were adults, while several others range in age from 7 to 14, Papi said. At least 15 of the victims come from towns in Middlesex,

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unlike earlier outbreaks of E-Coli this year this outbreak is believed to be cooking related rather then vegetable related, which leaves very few possible causes. Either we have bad training of employees, when it comes to cooking properly or poor employee hygiene, both are highly unacceptable to me.

We do of course have a third possibility, which would be vegetable related, however I have out ruled that since this outbreak seems to be localized to just one area.

This story also brings to mind one question. What ever happened to the proposed low radiation of all meats that many claimed would put an end to E Coli when it comes to meat products?

[edit on 12/4/2006 by shots]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It would appear there may be more then one Taco Bell envolved, they have now ordered several more closed on Staten Island which could possibly mean this is related to contaminated meat or perhaps produce.

An outbreak of E. coli bacteria has sickened more than a dozen people on Long Island, including several who ate at Taco Bell, prompting officials to ask that eight of the fast-food restaurants be closed.

It is not immediately clear if the Long Island E. coli is related to an outbreak in New Jersey where several people also got sick after eating at Taco Bell. At least 15 people became ill in New Jersey, two seriously.

Four of the restaurants were closed in Suffolk County, and Nassau County officials asked that four restaurants be closed, health officials said.

silive.com

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
this happend where i live too, but there where butcher shops involved
but i didnt happen just where i live in south wales , it seems that to my resaerch its happening in many places in the uk

it seems its targeting children mostly as the butchers involed supplied many local schools

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This does not look good at all. Now 8 restaurants are closed and the number of individuals affected has reached 39.

E. Coli Outbreak Hits L.I.; 8 Taco Bells Closed
Number Of Confirmed Cases In N.Y., N.J. Reaches 39

(CBS/AP) TRENTON, N.J. At least 14 people in two counties on Long Island have been affected by the recent E. coli outbreak that was first reported in central New Jersey. Officials say three people in Nassau County and 11 people in Suffolk County are being treated in the outbreak, though there is no confirmation yet as to whether the outbreak in New Jersey and the one in New York are related.

Eight Taco Bell restaurants on Long Island have temporarily shut down as part of the investigation -- four from each county. The restaurants closed voluntarily after their respective counties asked them to do so.

wcbstv.com

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yeah, I just heard about the outbreaks in Taco Bell here this morning.
Something like 8 or 9 of them in both Nassau and Suffolk.
Heh, I love Long Island!
Secret toxic waste dumping sites, alien bases, erroding shorelines, city-style traffic, rude nyc castoffs, heh...we've got it all!
Can't wait until I'm done with school, anywhere is better than here!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Updated information now indicates this may be tied to Green Onions.

Bell Corp. announced today that it has removed green onions at all of its approximately 5,800 restaurants nationwide. The move is strictly a precautionary effort following recent E.coli 0157:H7 outbreaks believed to be linked to several of its restaurants in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. The company has been working around the clock with State and County Health Department officials in these three states, along with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to determine the root cause of this issue.

While tests are preliminary and not yet conclusive, three samples of green onions were found to be presumptive positive for E. coli 0157:H7 by an independent testing laboratory engaged by Taco Bell. Upon learning of the presumptive positive results, the company took immediate action by notifying health authorities and its restaurants. State health officials are conducting their own testing and Taco Bell is awaiting final analysis from this ingredient testing.

Taco Bell
Voluntarily Removes Green Onions

First spinach now Onions, whats next

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's a conspiracy by the chem corporations and food manufacturers.
Fisrt, anything deemed "healthy" or "good for you" will be tainted, causing illness.
Then, new additives will be approved by the FDA with the assurance that "these new chemicals, when added to food deemed unsafe, will nullify all toxins present and fortify the food, making it not only safer, but nutritionaly superior".
Then, this will open the gates for other biotech companies to rush genetically modified foods to the open market without any safety testing.
When questioned about this, their response will be something like "well, in order to respond to consumer demand, we, along with the FDA, decided to circumvent the safety testing regulations and make our products available to the general public. However, rest assured, that we know that our products are safe and will be used by people the world over for generations to come. Our products, while not 'natural', are superior to organic products in that there is a greater yield, unsurpassed nutritional content, disease and pest resistance and the ability to grow and flourish in any environment. Of course, there may be [some] side-effects (such as zombism or genetic mutation) but our crack team of genecists and chemists are working around the clock to ensure [almost] total safety of these products."

Well, perhaps not.
But...you never know until it's too late, right?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We need a War on Produce, stat!

General Vox: "For far too long, the onion has held sway over our lives! Follow me men and we shall find, in the struggle against produce, freedom and LIFE!"
*Cheers all around.*

I might have been playing a little too much Medieval: Total War.

Jon

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It makes you think...What won't this government test on us? How can we let this continue? Is this some new biohazard material that just looks like e-coli? and we are the test subjects.

I'll never eat out again. I'll be bringing my own lunch and dinner with me...

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The number of victims is now up to 47 and health officals have asked Taco Bell to throw out ALL of their food and train their employees in proper hygiene.

New Jersey asks Taco Bells to throw out their food

New Jersey health officials addressing an E.coli outbreak on Wednesday asked Taco Bell restaurants in the state to throw out all their food and better train workers in hygiene and food handling.

At least 47 people in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania have been infected with E.coli in the last few weeks, and dozens more potential cases are being investigated. Many of the infected people had eaten at Taco Bell prior to becoming sick, the states said.

New York state officials on Wednesday raised the number of E.coli cases associated with the Taco Bell outbreak to 15 and said 15 more are being investigated.

[edit on 12/6/2006 by shots]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well, dozens upon dozens upon dozens are now sick.

The outbreak is in Connecticut, NY, NJ, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Philly has been hit.

Supposedly it's been tracked to the onions. But honestly, I'm taking a salad break for a while. I know no one at other restaurants have been effected (or should I say no one has reported being effected), but I think I'll wait a week or two before ordering a salad from Salad Works ...

(I'm in the Philly area)

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Even though the outbreaks are in Conneticut, New York, and Jersey, this still means that you won't be able to get green onions on you Taco Bell nachos. I heard on Friday that there were a few cases down in Pennsylvania, around the Blitzburgh (Pittsburgh) Metro Area, stemming from some tainted food that was ate at a Taco Bell down there.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It has now been said that the likely culprit was lettuce, according to a CDC epidemiologist. More info to follow when a link comes up, this was breaking.

*Edit - Here is the link. I hope this doesn't mean we're in for another lettuce scare.

[edit on 12/13/06 by niteboy82]

top topics

join