It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection Island Base (Or something...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Alright. In the lovely state of Washington, on the Olympic Peninsula, there is a small island. It is known as Protection Island. Years ago it was privately owned and there was a small community of upper class families living on it. On October 15, 1982, it was turned into a National Wildlife Refuge.

Here lies the first indescrepency. It was turned into a Wildlife Refuge supposedly because of the incredible amount of birds that nest there every year.

Protection Island Refuge is located near the mouth of Discovery Bay in the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Jefferson County, Washington. Approximately 70 percent of the nesting seabird population of Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca nest on the island, which includes one of the largest nesting colonies of rhinoceros auklets in the world and the largest nesting colony of glaucous-winged gulls in Washington. The island contains one of the last 2 nesting colonies of tufted puffins in the Puget Sound area. About 1,000 harbor seals depend upon the island for a pupping and rest area.

(That's from the government's website.) The problem is that nobody ever sees any birds on it. It's mostly bald of any trees, so it would be painfully obvious if there were that many birds on it... (That last bit about the seals is defintely true. They are seen laying all around the beaches almost year round.)

Obvously, because it's a Wildlife Refuge, it is not open to the public at all. The same site says:

The island is closed to the public to protect nesting seabirds and harbor seals.

That's fine and understandable, except that there aren't any birds to protect...

Secondly, the island is oddly shaped, with a patch of trees on the far side and steep bluffs around the entire thing. Diamond Point, a heavily developed bit of land, is less than a mile away and slighly higher than the island, and many people living there have a decent view of the island. However, none of them can see the treed area.

Months ago I tried to find a satelite image of it. I tried Terraserver, and that service was accurate and got me close enough to find my house. Anyhow, it has all of the surrounding area, which includes the tens of San Juan islands, some too small for anyone to live on, in high detail EXCEPT Protection Island. They have a shot of it from very high up, but when you try to go in closer, there's nothing there. You can see all the empty water around, but the 'tiles' that should have the island on them are black, as if satelite photos were never taken of the island. I tried several other services and all were similar. A friend of mine even had a local map that included everything BUT the island. There was a big empty spot where it should have been.

Third, there is a lot of submarine activity near the island. This wouldn't be all that odd since there is the nearby Subase Bangor in Bremerton. The odd thing is that the submarines often stop very close to Protection Island and sometimes small boats are seen going to and fro from the sub to the island, as if they're re-supplying it.

Fourth, I have heard several first hand accounts of people who have gone close to the island in boats. One man was in a canoe and he and a couple with him had rowed close to the island to look at the seals on the beach. Almost immediately, and 'out of nowhere' came a large, black coast guard ship and they were forcefully told that it was illegal to come that close to the island.

The other couple of instances I have heard first hand were very similar in that a large boat comes 'out of nowhere' and very forcefully, rudely even, demands that you leave.

It isn't just me that believes that something odd is going on on Protection Island. You mention it to almost anyone locally and they'll say something about a 'conspiracy theory' or a 'base' on the island.

There are several buildings on the island still visible. A couple of them are from when people still lived on the island. There is a barn and a small shed visible...

[edit on 4-12-2006 by oxgoad]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
... from Diamond Point. They are in obvious decay. Of more interest, however, is the observation tower that is well kept up. It is never in decay or caked with bird poop from the "70 % of the nesting seabird population". It is never falling apart, like every other visible structure on the island. I have talked to a couple people living on Diamond Point who say they've seen people in it before.

I understand that to be reasonable it could be people from the Wildlife Department or others there to clean or watch the birds. But how can they be so quick to send a boat out at all times of the year? How can they see every side of the island to know that boaters are close? Why are they so very strict about people trespassing on a small island when they are lax about any other wildlife refuge?

It is just my opinion, but that is an excellent way to hide something and an excellent way to fund whatever you need done. It is a common thought among friends of mine who have discussed this at length that there is a submarine base on the island. It would be very easy to hide structures on the small, wooded area. The island sort of comes to a bowl in the center, so that it is hard to see from any side.

Apparently I am not the only one who has noticed the strange goings on on Protection Island. I found this link on Google: seattle.indymedia.org...

I am not being over-the-top or rediculous in anything I've said so far. In fact there are several facts that are dramatic and sensational that I haven't mentioned for fear of sounding like someone who is bored and wants to believe something that isn't true.

The most intersting part about this is thinking about why they'd need an ACTIVE submarine base on Protection Island. What is going on out there and why is it a secret?

(I'm sure some of you know how difficult it is to make information you've discovered sound at all credible or interesting... I hope I did ok. Sorry if this is a waste of space)

Has anyone else heard about any of this or does anyone else have information to add to this?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
sodom

there is a picture of protection island in the link

nice find oxgoad
www.aviating.com...

sodom

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Very very interesting. The fact that submarines are seen re-supplying the island sure raises my eyebrows.

Perhaps you could take a boat tour around the island and see what is near those trees?

Also, the GoogleEarth coordinates for it are 48° 07'N 122° 55'W, or lat 48.127° lon -122.929°.

According to the Fish and Wildlife Service, you may take a boat near the island, but cannot go within 200 yards of the shoreline.
Also, while on googleEarth, turning the Transportation layer on and off shows you a line between the island and the shore. I thought this was a boat route at first, but there is no evidence of a wharf where the line meets the shore. Does anyone know what this is?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well I'm honored that you guys don't think I'm crazy. I'm aware of the boat tours, and if I remember correctly, they're pretty expensive, otherwise I would have done it already. However, as you can see in the picture it is hard to see much on the island because of the very high bluffs.

I'm not sure what the line on GoogleEarth is all about. There is a small wharf on Diamond Point, which is the bit of land directly below the island. To be honest, I don't know all that much about the area that line leads to. I'll see if I can find anything out.

That spit that you can see on the far left side of the island is not always visible above the water.

This is taken from the article I posted a link to in my previous post:

Then, on December 13, a Navy EA-6B electronic countermeasure jet aircraft exploded in mid-flight above Discovery Bay.

An eyewitness to the crash said “the plane appeared to be flying at cloud level when it made a ‘poosh’ sound and lit up, then began trailing fire and descending at a 45-degree angle.”(5) The structure of events and the nature of the crash are indicative of a missile hit--that a submarine launched anti-aircraft missile, known by the acronym SLAM, brought this airplane down.

I have talked to many long time locals who remember that day. I talked to one man who lived on Discovery Bay at the time and he said that the FBI (although I'm not sure if he actually remembered or knew exactly who had come) went door to door asking everyone for any debris that may have landed in their yard. My uncles remember going to his house to see the pieces of it that he had hidden from the FBI when they asked for it.

This is a true piece of local history. Check our local papers. It was sensational for a while until the usual lack of explanation that usually follows anything that dramatic set in and people were forced to move on.

All of this seems suspicious.

new topics

top topics

join