It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

skull on mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I just thought this looked awfully odd, im sure its been posted befor, i tried to do a search but got sql errors

[edit on 4-12-2006 by VoXiSo]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I think its a fake because our mind is designed to reconigze faces in everything.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I think its a fake because our mind is designed to reconigze faces in everything.

Is that a fact?

Our minds know what is real and what is not. We know what is a libing organism and what is not.

Creativity is all that what makes people see faces in objects.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Our minds are most certainly not 'designed' to recognize faces in 'everything' but those minds that did manage to make out the shape of a predator ' in the grass' were more likely to survive than those who could not... I don't know who spread the idea that we are predisposed to seeing human faces in rocks and clouds but i can guess at their motives....

Stellar

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think this picture in particular is just incredible. I know that we tend to see things in all the rocks on Mars but this one is really clear-cut and doesn't require any interpretive thinking like some of the posts that point out "writing" or "martian machine parts".

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
very creepy pic indeed....let's do a roadtrip to MARS...who's in?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
One could actually start to think that the entire surface of Mars might be littered with skulls, bones, machine parts, glass tunnels and, hey, even pyramids.

The picture does look like a skull....sort of. But it can also appear to be a wind worn rock formation that just happens to look like a skull. In our eagerness to actually find life and or traces of life on Mars, we are apt to see whatever it is we want to see. In this case, we have a rock that looks like a skull. I once found a potato in my garden that sort of looked like a bulldog. Maybe I subconsciously needed to see a dog and so I did. I ate the potato anyway.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRanchMan

Is that a fact?

Yes it is a fact. We have a region of our brain that deals with facial recognition. I'm not going to argue whether it was designed or not. But this article talks about how recent findings suggest it is more of a learned trait, rather than innate. Either way, there is a part of our brain that responds to shapes/angles/light/shadows/whatever that may indicate a face is present in the visual field. Recognizing and interpretating facial responses is obviously a very important aspect of social interaction.

ScienceDaily: Brain Article

Our minds know what is real and what is not. We know what is a libing organism and what is not.

Creativity is all that what makes people see faces in objects.

Our mind DECIDES what is real and what is not. When your dreaming the most illogical things can seem normal because your brain determines the structure or parameters of it's reality. When we're awake our brain interprets light waves and pressurized waves of air to create a 'reality' that our conscious can navigate. Your brain's never seen light or heard a sound, it's all electrical signals by the time it gets there. Our brain is quite willing to fill in gaps, like when you only see a hand sticking out of a wall but know that an entire person is standing there. The brain's guessing and assuming greatly increases it's information processing but can sometimes lead you to sense something that's not entirely true. If I could even objectively use the word true or truth in this sense, it's all just perspective anyways.

Your creativity statement is somewhat true. The creative function of the brain can draw associations between objects that may not normally be connected. The personification of the inanimate or even a simple metaphor. Our creativity allows for imperfections and oddities to become beautiful and unique visions. The brain becomes creative enough to accept that while that rock may not exactly look like a face, it shouldn't eliminate it as a possiblity. A computer would have trouble matching an imperfect copy of it's predefined face or drawing the line at the point where something looks too odd to be a face. But our mind allows us to float in the space between what may exist and what doesn't. Is it a skull? Is it a rock? We'll probably never know but it doesn't hurt to think it could.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Okay, previous explorations on mars have not even been able to confirm the lowest level of life on Mars. Not even single celled bacteria... or any other signs of previous life for the matter... How in God's name is there just going to be skull lying in the middle of no where there?

Either a.) FAKE or b.) a rock that is eerily shaped like a skull.

[edit on 4-12-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Looks more like one of those Roman helmuts to me! I was going to write a thread pointing out all these 'rocks' and 'buildings' that are on the moon and Mars, but are now all rubble. Its amazing what people can see if they believe hard enough!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think it's just a weird rock formation. Cool pic though!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here is a link to one of the originals from the Spirit Rover website.
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

It's close to the foreground..must be pretty small.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hey George Lucas left a stormtrooper helmet behind when he made the Tatooine scenes for Star Wars. They were made more realistic by filming them on Mars.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I wonder if this coincides with the announcement about mars that NASA is going to give tomorrow? Very interesting developments.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the thing I was talking about in the last post - excuse me for that.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
I wonder if this coincides with the announcement about mars that NASA is going to give tomorrow? Very interesting developments.

I think they are going to announce that they found water on Mars. I have found images from Spirit and Opportunity that shows bugs. Here is the best image I have found so far of a bug:

Here is a closeup:

The original image can be found here

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stari

Originally posted by uplander

I think they are going to announce that they found water on Mars. I have found images from Spirit and Opportunity that shows bugs. Here is the best image I have found so far of a bug:

Here is a closeup:

The original image can be found here

Never seen that, could it bee something on the lense?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
Yes it is a fact. We have a region of our brain that deals with facial recognition. I'm not going to argue whether it was designed or not.

Wise choice imo.

But this article talks about how recent findings suggest it is more of a learned trait, rather than innate. Either way, there is a part of our brain that responds to shapes/angles/light/shadows/whatever that may indicate a face is present in the visual field. Recognizing and interpreting facial responses is obviously a very important aspect of social interaction.

ScienceDaily: Brain Article

Agreed and there is every advantage to being able to spot the relatively familiar forms( predators, game) against a complex background so it would be surprising not to find such areas/processes somewhere in the human brain.

Our mind DECIDES what is real and what is not. When your dreaming the most illogical things can seem normal because your brain determines the structure or parameters of it's reality. When we're awake our brain interprets light waves and pressurized waves of air to create a 'reality' that our conscious can navigate.

As the editing happens in the subconscious mind, and thus even before the awareness that is the conscious mind, one has to very careful as without conscious deliberate effort you will not enabling your own involvement in hat editing process.

Your brain's never seen light or heard a sound, it's all electrical signals by the time it gets there. Our brain is quite willing to fill in gaps, like when you only see a hand sticking out of a wall but know that an entire person is standing there. The brain's guessing and assuming greatly increases it's information processing but can sometimes lead you to sense something that's not entirely true.

Agreed but the alternatives seems rather problematic in my opinion

If I could even objectively use the word true or truth in this sense, it's all just perspective anyways.

I think that there is a objective reality and that it is in fact independent of perception ( not seeing or acknowledging cars on a road wont prevent you suffering very real consequences) however far astray perception can lead you from that objective truth.

Your creativity statement is somewhat true. The creative function of the brain can draw associations between objects that may not normally be connected. The personification of the inanimate or even a simple metaphor. Our creativity allows for imperfections and oddities to become beautiful and unique visions.

Agreed but all that can be crushed by a conscious effort, as is the science establishment standard, when it runs into observations that contradict current norms. A person who is not open minded ( undecided) might very well subconsciously edit certain conscious possibilities or conclusions out of consideration before there was ever any true evaluation as the subconscious is not only powerful but completely self serving; it's comparable to script and you were not the programmer... Our perception of reality can go as far astray as the environment allows and if the environment or social system is set up to reward certain perceptions over others , however unrealistic or patently false, there is IMO no telling how far away from reality the consensus can be pushed...

The brain becomes creative enough to accept that while that rock may not exactly look like a face, it shouldn't eliminate it as a possiblity.

Well it's unlikely to spot it in the first place as there is no movement; something normally associated with 'faces'. If a person regularly sees faces in rock formations in their back yard they should probably see someone about it...

A computer would have trouble matching an imperfect copy of it's predefined face or drawing the line at the point where something looks too odd to be a face.

I would say this depends mostly on the how restrictive the original parameters where but that a computer can normally identify forms with far greater certainty based on a good data base or specifications.

But our mind allows us to float in the space between what may exist and what doesn't. Is it a skull? Is it a rock? We'll probably never know but it doesn't hurt to think it could.

I would have to slightly disagree and say that some minds allow that as those are the minds that have been allowed to consider such contradictory information without a result or conclusion being immediately required. I would go as far as to say that true genius may have much to do with how large a volume of sometimes contradictory information or observation a mind/brain can store without a conclusion or decision as to what must be true and what must be discarded as false...

Anyways! I enjoyed reading and thinking about your post and while my general agreement may not seem obvious i do agree and hope that my contributions is seen and accepted as such!

Stellar

[edit on 11-12-2006 by StellarX]

top topics

join