It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny Catwalk Models Banned

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
They look healthy to me. They are just skinny, big freakin' deal! I know some college girls the run cross country, they are skinny. Going to point the finger at cross country sports and say ban the skinny girls?

What some are saying is it is a bad influence on the young kids, well so are some big time athletes, big time actors, rappers, singers, etc.

Roper

Mamma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
They look healthy to me. They are just skinny, big freakin' deal!
They can look healthy to you, but they aren't.

I know some college girls the run cross country, they are skinny. Going to point the finger at cross country sports and say ban the skinny girls?
If that makes them risk their lives, yes.

When Ana Carolina Reston died she was 1.72 m (5'8") and weighed 40kg (88 lbs.).
Compare that with Lauren Fleshman, who has the same height but weighs 122lbs and you can see that there is a difference.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Armap you for banning liquor, tobacco, anything that makes poeple fat?

How about driving faster that 55mph?

Coffee, you wouldn't ban coffee would you.

I guess we need the FWP!

Roper

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Armap you for banning liquor, tobacco, anything that makes poeple fat?

How about driving faster that 55mph?

Coffee, you wouldn't ban coffee would you.

I guess we need the FWP!

Roper

Read what I have said and will see that I never mentioned banning anything.

This was about the organisation of fashion shows not accepting models that look like anorexics and not accepting make-up that emphasises the anorexic look. They say, and I agree because of some real cases I know, that those models are seen as role-models by some girls, and the only way that a 12 or 13 years-old girl can achieve that look is by depriving herself of food. Because they do it while they are still growing the results affect them for all their life.

They are not banning anything or any people's lifestyle, they are trying to make the model's agencies to stop promoting the skinnier models. Today, an underweight model has more chances to get work than a model that has the ideal weight for her height.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
See thread head line! So this is what we are discussing. Banning something!

Skinny models have the right to make a living too.

If it is all about health, they you must say the all things that could be/ are bad must be banned.

Roper

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Read the article, they are only banned from that fashion show, as they were from another one in Spain in September.

They are not banned from the agencies, they are not forbidden from entering other shows. The organisation of that show is the only one that is not accepting them.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Having government ban the way humans look ( even if they are professional models) is another "slippery slope".
They are not banning the way people look, they are showing that they prefer healthier looking models.

Well, "they" are not the ones who should be making those decisions, unless the models are under legal age. The decisions should be left to those actually involved: the designers, the models, and most importantly, those who buy the products.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Great now all of the girls can aspire to be overweight, unhealthy...... runway models.... Ewww!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, "they" are not the ones who should be making those decisions, unless the models are under legal age. The decisions should be left to those actually involved: the designers, the models, and most importantly, those who buy the products.
"They" are the ones who are going to pay to the models, the fashion show organisers.

Do you think that "they", who are paying for the models, have to stick to the models that the agencies want them to use on the show?

Don't "they" have the right to say what type of model "they" want to use?

The designers don't care a bit about the models, for them, the skinnier the model the easier it is to make the clothes. The models do what the industry wants, if the industry wants skinny models, then the models must loose weight or loose their jobs, if the industry wants fat models then the models must gain weight or loose their jobs. Those who buy the products don't care about the models, what appears on those shows is made only for the models, its not made for the public.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
Great now all of the girls can aspire to be overweight, unhealthy...... runway models.... Ewww!
That fashion show did not ask for overweight models, where did you get that idea?

Or do you think that 88lbs is the right weight for a 5' 5'' woman?

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

"They" are the ones who are going to pay to the models, the fashion show organisers.

Do you think that "they", who are paying for the models, have to stick to the models that the agencies want them to use on the show?

Don't "they" have the right to say what type of model "they" want to use?

Read the entire article:

A panel of doctors, stylists, models and politicians has been hammering out the new strategy at the request of the Italian government.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Read the entire article:

A panel of doctors, stylists, models and politicians has been hammering out the new strategy at the request of the Italian government.

I had read it all on the first time I saw this thread.

As they say on the article, this is a "code of conduct", not a law.

That panel of doctors, stylists, models and politicians made it at the request of the government, but nowhere in the article says that the government is forcing the organisers of the Milan fashion show to adhere to that code of conduct.

That is why I am treating this as a voluntary action from the fashion show organisers and not some government action to force the organisers not to use those models.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join