It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny Catwalk Models Banned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Guidelines have been set in Milan, Italy for catwalk models to be able to work in February's fashion shows.If a model has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 18.5, she will be sent home. BMI uses height and weight to determine body fat. Also banned is the use of make-up to achieve the "anorexic look".

observer.guardian.co.uk
Stick-thin women are to be banned from February's fashion shows in Milan as Italy becomes the first country to tackle unhealthy modeling.
The code of conduct, to be issued this month, means that models will be scrutinised for body mass indexes, which use height and weight measurements to determine body fat, before they are allowed to work. Any girl with a BMI of less than 18.5 will be sent home. Other measures are a minimum age limit of 16 for models and a ban on using make-up to achieve an 'anorexic look' with dark shadows under the eyes.

The guidelines have been drawn up in the wake of the outcry earlier this year over ultra-thin models on the catwalk. The row was given impetus after two models died suffering from eating disorders.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it is about time somebody finally said enough is enough and put their foot down.

These seem like some pretty good guidelines to prevent models from becoming anorexic, or at least not promoting the "anorexic look". A lot of young girls look up to models and think these models are societies idea of the way a "perfect" woman looks.

This may prevent a lot of girls/women from developing eating disorders, hopefully. Of course, lets hope the rest of the fashion industry adopts these rules for their models.

[edit on 4/12/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The fashion industry is doing something eithically right for a change. Now if I could only convince them that ellastic waisted jeans for trolls like me are a morally concious direction to take the industry.

Seriously how can these people be the de facto administration of whats fashionable when everything they put on the catwalk looks rediculus, especially girls that use their ribs to count when they have to count higher than 20.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I know a few models, and some of them are naturally very thin, while eating a normal diet. It happens, just as there's always the skinny bloke who eats like a horse... If we're not careful, we'll end up persecuting thin people.

I take the point about the risk of some girls developing anorexia etc, but there are no end of things for teenage girls (and boys) to get insecure about, it's better to address the root couse of the problem rather than blame a particular group of people because of their body shape.

Also, even if extra thin models were banned, the photographer may still digitally enhance the 'regular" girls to make them just as thin if the photo looks better that way, thereby defeating the point.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a little low... I know people who definatly have no eating problems who only have BMI's of arround 17 and myself am only at 18.5

although I don't plan on been a model

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, it's a good start! Next censor all skinny people on TV and make all other skinny people stay home and eat until they measure up to the norm.

Excuse the sarcasm but it seems to me that energy would be better spent in feeding the poor rather than dictating fashion.

Is that the best thing that those Italian politicians can zero in on. Please.........

[edit on 4-12-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is not the first time that extra-thin models are banned, the first time I heard of something like this it was in Spain, some months ago. It generated some discussion, but after the death of 2 South-American models (one a 22 year-old Uruguayan who died of heart failure and a 21 year old Brazilian who died from multiple organ failure) this is becoming a real problem.

Edit: the first time this happened was in September, in Madrid. See
this link, for example.

[edit on 4/12/2006 by ArMaP]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I disagree with this.

I mean there's got ot be something more important that the Italian
politiciios could be doing.

I disagree with it, simply because I personally like the look, that
and if you start telling people they dopn't have to be thin, they'll
start to think it's ok to be overweight/obese.

I'm sorry, but having the few problems that come with promoting
skinny is much better than having the huge multitude of problems
that come with overweight/obesity.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I don't think this is a skinny vs fat issue. The majority of these models watch every mouthful of food, as they must stay *ultra* thin. You photograph better the thinner you are. The camera adds at least 10lbs, if not more.

Women ARE starving themselves to stay employed. There are some much younger females that are rail thin because they haven't hit puberty, or haven't matured.

It is an industry that has always had serious eating disorder and body dysmorphic issues. These women will NEVER feel it is ok to be fat, or even plump.

Weight is a fashion anyhow. 100 years ago it was much more fashionable to be heavy, not just curvy, but padded. It showed you could afford food. It is fashionable now to be very very thin. Not to mention clothes hang better on very tall very thin women

There can be a happy medium where people are thin, but fit. It doesn't have to be fat or anorexic as the only two choices

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I'm sorry, but having the few problems that come with promoting
skinny is much better than having the huge multitude of problems
that come with overweight/obesity.

I don't think that dying at the age of 21 from multiple organ failure, like Ana Carolina Reston, could be considered a few problems. She was eating only apples and tomatoes and she died weighing only 40Kgs for an height of 1.72m

This models are the result of the demand from the agencies that employ them, today is almost impossible for a model that has a natural, healthy look to find a modeling job in a top agency because they only want the extra-thin models.

And do not forget that these models start their career with 13 or 14 years, and to keep their looks they cannot keep their natural development, their final stage of growing is almost (or completely) stopped because they stop feeding themselves. Even when they get too old to keep their career (30 years to some), the results of their eating disorder keeps them from having an healthy life.

Also, that is the image promoted in many places as the cool look, and many teenagers try to be like those models, increasing the problem.

To bad it was needed the death of these two (as far as I know) young women to make them start to see that this is not needed.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm okay with this ban. I'm a slight person myself, but the "Auschwitz look" is disgusting. And, no, that's not genetic. Trust me...it's not genetic. If it is, 1 in a billion will be discriminated against (sounds like okay stats to me).

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
As a father of four girls i dont have a problem with this at all. My ten year old already has pictures of stick thin models and singers on her bedroom wall which coincided with her decision not to eat potato any more because it's fattening.

Just as well i'm setting an alternative body image for my girls.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
And we've always been told that Europeans are so very uninhibited and enlightened...

I wonder how much the Italian gov't does to ensure that poverty-stricken people are receiving enough nutrition to keep them from starving.

How much a model weighs is of no business of the gov't.

apc

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Indeed, let the industry and culture decide its own fate. If a few more defects croak, maybe it will start sending messages that if you don't eat, you die.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I may have missed something but I don't see this as the Italian government putting its foot down.

It looks like a fashion industry standard to me.
Models, dancers and actresses all share being in professions that glorify the thin. These women all have the potential to fall into the eating disorder trap.
When did it happen that 12 and 13 year olds worried about their weight and dieted when they didn't need to lose?

We definitely need to set a healthy example for our youth.
Rail thin and extremely obese are not part of that goal.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I may have missed something but I don't see this as the Italian government putting its foot down.

From the base article:

The guidelines have been drawn up in the wake of the outcry earlier this year over ultra-thin models on the catwalk. The row was given impetus after two models died suffering from eating disorders.
A panel of doctors, stylists, models and politicians has been hammering out the new strategy at the request of the Italian government.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Damn, I was waiting for the skeletons to come marching in. It's funny i think a ban is a good thing but if it happened in America I'd be pissed because I don't like goverment regulation. I think the fashion Industry should be the ones to enact this type of ban, but i do think a ban is needed. I don't find the runway model attractive at all.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If the fashion industry actually cared about their models health, higher authorities wouldn't HAVE to step in and say enough is enough.

These models are SUPER STARS to some young girls, and it is not normal for some of these young people (or most people) to be so thin.

But these young people trying to look like them, end up with eating disorders, that, a friend of mines 13 year girl ended up with, almost killed her.

They aren't bad parents, their daughter was in school and active in all sorts of sports programs and they supported her and NEVER push her into any sports, by 14 years old she even had a college looking at her for a scholarship for softball. Then the eating disorder started, she almost died because of an "eating disorder". It got so bad, her whole body started shutting down and at 14 years old, she almost DIED. She had pictures of these runway models all over her walls and never thought she was thin enough.

The model industry, in itself, has let models get so thin it is not healthy. Young people "sometimes" look up to these people and think of them as "perfect".

Most of these models are not "healthy" and do have eating disorders.

It's been about three years since my friends daughter almost died because of that eating "problem", and she still goes to therapy to ensure it doesn't return, but the pictures of those severely thin models are still out there.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
banning the use of any photo editing from glossy magazines would do far more usefull , practical and enforcable .

i have met 3 different models / celebrities at events , and had chance to reviw how they looked and compare them " in the flesh " to thier packaged image as prorayed in pho spreads from glossy magazines which could not have been shot more that 2 to 3 months before i saw them .

and hell bells , the difference is frightening - it really is .

everything in magazines is airbrushed , etited - stretched and manipulated to a scary degree - they make models legs look longer , thier waists slimmer , busts larger , lips fuller , complexion flawless , but it is all fake

people who have magazine pictures and posters " on thier wall " are attempting to match an image that never actually existed in reality

forcing magazines to print pictures as WYSISWG , straight from the camera would at least level the playing feild .

modern digital cameras can be fitted with what is called a " forensic evidence kit " , which creates an encrypted exfil tag at the time the shutter is released - which can confirm that a given image file has not been edited in any way , despite being copied , emailed etc

maybe fashion photographer should be forced to use them too ?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Having government ban the way humans look ( even if they are professional models) is another "slippery slope".

The models have free will and it is their life to do with as they chose.

I am surprised at some of you!

Lets see here, we need to ban, professional athletes, singers/rappers, news media people, actors and actress, well the list goes on.

Roper

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Having government ban the way humans look ( even if they are professional models) is another "slippery slope".
They are not banning the way people look, they are showing that they prefer healthier looking models.

Lets see here, we need to ban, professional athletes, singers/rappers, news media people, actors and actress, well the list goes on.
Why? Are they promoting an unhealthy dangerous way of living?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join