It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines or Army taking mortars (video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by H34T533K3R
sorry all i want 2 post something about this video. What these soldiers are doing is pretending to be dead. instead of trying to fight back against a bigger force they are pretending to have gotten hit.

You don't know much about combat. When the incoming comes in the only thing to do is to lay as low as possible until it passes, unless you have something awfully important to do.

No one is playing dead in that video, unless you know something about being dead that I don't know.

agree and add:
They are doing exactly what they are trained to do. The most basic instic off all soldiers is to dugg in cover when you hear rounds coming. If you are standing when mortars hit you are dead.

When indirect round starts to whistle you have about 2 seconds to be in shelter or you are dead. Have heard that whistle couple times myself, nasty and feared sound. luckyly it was only training exercice and we were at the edge of safety area.

the most nasty part in there is that it takes about 20-30s for round to travel, so you hear tubes launching and know that round are coming. Still you can not do anything, because if you try to move and are up when rounds hit you are dead.

What comes to fighting. How to fight a querilly mortar party? it shows up from nowhere to about 3-5 km from you and you don't even know about it before first round launch. After which you would be better to dug in cover, if you want to live. It shoot it's rounds and vanish before you dare to raise your head up from your cover. After that US command says there were twenty fighters, when mortar takes 1-5 mens to operate.

<< 1   >>

join