It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Wants Russia Support, Offers Uranium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A Japanese daily said said that North Korea has offered Russia exclusive rights to it's natural uranium deposits. In exchange, they want open support at the six-ways talks on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons.

thestaronl ine.com
TOKYO (Reuters) - North Korea has offered Russia exclusive rights to its natural uranium deposits in exchange for open support at the six-way talks on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons, a Japanese daily said on Sunday.

Citing Russian government sources, the Tokyo Shimbun report said Moscow and Pyongyang had been in secret talks since 2002 over a plan for Russia to import the uranium and enrich it before selling it on as nuclear fuel to China and Vietnam, in what the sources said would be a highly profitable venture.

The North Korean government has recently shown a positive attitude towards the idea, but introduced a requirement for back-up at the stalled nuclear talks, which may resume in the next few weeks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't see why they want to have a nuclear weapons programme. All that will cause is more problems, I think they should just stay out of the way.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. North Korea gets a slight increase in their economy, as well as Russia. China and other countries get fuel for their energy needs. The region stays as stabalized as it has been. North has weapons, lets just face up to it. It is however a very tiny country and easy to keep track of all of their sipments. By letting the Russians extract the Uranium it helps the Internationl Community to keep tabs on what is going where.

Im all for it.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I agree with you that it's good for other countries being able to buy nuclear fuel from Russia.

I'm not quite sure why it matters that the shipments need to be kept track of?

Could you elaborate?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think in my opinion, that this is a bad thing and a good thing.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by Thisonetime]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I don't believe N. Korea is going to produce ICMB's with the Uranium they would be receiving from Russia. Even if they did, they already have them, so it's kind of irrevelent. There's no reason to fear N. Korea, they wouldn't dare attack anyone, it's just not in their best interest. They'd be alone against the world. So yes, I am all for N. Korea purchasing Uranium from Russia and selling it to other countries.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It is not a matter of if they wil utilize it for their own arsenal. The threa is if they produce weapons and sell them on the black market, or even sell enriched weapons grade uranium. Besides nearly ALL nuclear material in the world is kept tracked of so that there is a record of which hands it has changed between. This way there can be accountability just in case.

Especially more so with a nation like North Korea since their supreme leader choose to remain one of the most isolated and secretive states in the world.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
nearly ALL nuclear material in the world is kept tracked of

Nearly all of the nuclear material?

Why isn't it all being kept tabs on? Nuclear material is very lethal. Do you have links supporting that some nuclear material isn't being kept track of?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
IMO, this about protecting N Korea's and secificly "little Kim's" arse.

With Russia their mining and such, they will have Russian military to protect Russian workers there.

This Gives Kim a basic protection from US/Japan/S Korea and maybe even China from invasion and to some degree, any military attack.

Kim can also use that as a sigh-a false one- that he wants to cooperate with the 6 party talks/the world.

Russia is not stupid and knows this, BUT, I think they would go for it for a few reasons.
One, it is kinda like spitting in the US's eye and yes, they really do want to do that.
Two, it gives Russia basicly full control of all the raw uriniam in N Korea and for that matter where it goes and who it is sold to, maybe even how much it is sold for.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
mrmonsoon,

I'm confused how it's like "spitting in the US eyes".

I don't think that they are trying to do that either.

Could you please explain to me how this has to do with the US?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Gladly,

Russia lost most of it's presence on the world stage when it collapsed-finically which then meant militarily.

Russia has since then seen the US do what it pleases where and when it pleases with no one to stop them.

Add to that the US pushing for NATO status of many of the previous soviet states.

I believe this is a major reason for Russia supporting Iran-besides the money.

You know, they arm those who the US demonizes and might attack militarily, sort of payback for all the stingers the US sent to Afghanistan that shot down Russian jets and helicopters.

Bye Russia controling all this resource, it can assure Iran and other's a steady supply of nuclear material for their bomb, er, nuclear power
plants.

The fact the US is trying it's best to stop this just tickles Russia pink.

[edit on 12/4/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Am I the only one that smells an unholy alliance creeping...How did all the other major wars start? With a shoddy alliance!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yes I think you are the only one smelling an unholy alliance coming. I don't think russia is going to be having any unholy alliances with anyone.

Actually every war did not start with a "shoddy" alliance.

World war 2 started with a natzi attack on a german radio station in order to justify a German invasion in Poland.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
When broken down to the very basics, this is trade, North Korea wants to trade with Russia. Usually trade is the first sign of good intentions and promotes political stability. There might be hidden motives, but for now this appears to be a good sign.

I think people are jumping the gun, but I guess only time will tell what will really happen.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
SS

Trade is most of the time the first sign of an alliance but it doesn't necessarily mean that there are good intentions behind them.

It is possiible that there are hidden motives, and I don't think this is a good sign for the U.S.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
1crisis

what do you mean that this isn't a good sign for the us?

there is possible excellent trade going on and the us will benefit from it.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallonMe
what do you mean that this isn't a good sign for the us?

Well what don't you understand about possible hidden motives?

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a good thing considering the U.S. isn't involved.

The U.S. I don't think will benefit from Russia becoming able to distribute and sell nuclear fuel.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
True 1crisis, but I don't care about the U.S.

I do understand everything about hidden motives.

I actually think that Russia is going to become a big problem for the US in a couplel of years, this is just whats going to start it.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I actually agree, Russia I think wants to become more of just an independent country. It is possible that they may want to have some control and power of other countries.

I don't think that they will become a big problem for the U.S. though. The United States are too strong for anyone to handle.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't think that The US government is too worried, If N.Korea fired an ICBM at them, the US would make that peninsula an island.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well said Ford Farmer. I completely agree.

The U.S. will make mince meat out of N.K. if they so much as look at the U.S. the wrong way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join