It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people taking their faith too seriously

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

no, i just want to know if you can apply humor to your faith, or if you're too serious to make even a little bit of humor at its expense

Not if it takes away from what is the truth and could cause someone to not be saved.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I reckon it is a good thing that some people dont take their religion tooooooo seriously, especially making jokes about it i.e.

Whats this? (put palm of hand to mouth). Jesus biting his nails!!!!! LOL

The fact that religions are not clearly defined and have to be interpretted should make more people NOT take their religion too seriously.

But hey that wont happen will it????????

G

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

it seems to be a problem
with the uncertainty of the world and death
, people look for answers
they find religion, mysticism, faith, etc or become atheists/agnostics with different outlooks.

First off, you are right. It does not "seem" that there is a problem of uncertainty of the world and death, the fact is that history has "proven" that there is a problem. Humanity has collectively accumilated a written and recorded history of over 7,000 years. And in our 7,000 year old history we have not produced 7 consecutive days devoid of war, killing, and destruction. Considering that "orginized religion" has not existed half as long perhaps it is peoples' "different outlooks", as you put it, that is the problem. When it comes down to it, people seem to value their individual "opinion" over the truth of their own experiences. So when it comes down to it:
Opinion verses Truth, people who are not serious about the truth always choose their opinion, even before they finish typing their "inquisitive" questions. One has to have a reverence or "love" for the truth more so than their reverence or love for their opinion, or they will simply not be capable of percieving the truth of themselves.

but this is directed to people of faith
why do some of you take it so seriously?

necessity. seriously, i am not joking. necessity.

why do some of you contend for the infallibility of your religious texts?

Because we are capable of percieving reality. We value the truth, your truth, which you are as of yet not capable of consciously recognizing or even acknowledging, because it does not suit your opinion to accept your own truth.

why do some of you damn those who do not believe?

What tells you that "some of you" damn those who do not believe? Where is it written in their faith that they have the authority to do so?

why can't you admit that all you have is what you think is the best answer, not the only possibilty?

The truth does not require me to appease your opinion. Besides, you don't even know what formulates your opinion, so what is it that we are suppose to "admit" "it" to? Tell us what your opinion consists of first, then perhaps your pre-requisite of us "admitting" is no longer a requirement for truth to co-exist in your shared reality.

i wonder, do you take your faith too seriously to take jokes about it?

could you please rephrase the question? take from jokes "about it", seriously?

can you question the historical accuracy of the bible?

Yes i can. Does your opinion permit you to be capable of percieving certain truths? Perhaps the truth can not always be given, but must be experienced. So, why ask a question that you are not capable of percieving, nor did you have any intentions of doing so as you were typing the question out?

do you believe that all you believe is 100% truth, or do you believe that you may be getting 1 or 2 things wrong?

The world would be a better place if you could accept the answer to this question.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
We take it seriously because it is serious. It is the basis for our existence. Wouldn't really make any sense otherwise. What would be the point? And it really isn't that we think we have the right answer, it's that we know we do. It's a knowing beyond that encompasses every realm of life and all questions...a knowing that is a guidance and AHA! that can't be understood until it is experienced.
Really feels so fantastic to be rid of all the doubt and confusion that is this world...Once was blind but now I see.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

but this is directed to people of faith
why do some of you take it so seriously?

Because the consequences are serious. We take it seriously because God takes us seriously. We are his children and we wish to do his work here on earth. We (the faithful) would like to spend eternity with God when this “blink of an eye” existence on earth is over. We think it’s important to spread his word, to bring others to God, so they can receive his salvation and love because we (the faithful) think they (the unfaithful) are worth it too.

Why do some of you contend for the infallibility of your religious texts?

I believe the word of God is recorded in the Bible.

Why do some of you damn those who do not believe?

Because some people will use their faith to condemn and damn others for far from Christian reasons. I believe everyone has the term of their life to accept the salvation provided by the blood of Jesus Christ and that the ONLY judge will be God himself.

Though as I’ve said before, it may be important to point out sin to those that may not recognize it.

Why can't you admit that all you have is what you think is the best answer, not the only possibility?

I don’t think there are any other possibilities and when dealing with the fate of men you better be darn sure.

I know my faith in Jesus brought me to the father during my NDE.

Now if you were lost in some unknown town and you got directions to your final destination from someone that just drove there yesterday why would you turn left at the light when the person told you to turn right? I mean why take the chance on following your own made-up directions when you were absolutely given the turn by turn directions from someone that just drove there yesterday?

Then again I guess you would have to believe the guy really drove there yesterday. Such is faith...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join