It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people taking their faith too seriously

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
it seems to be a problem
with the uncertainty of the world and death, people look for answers
they find religion, mysticism, faith, etc or become atheists/agnostics with different outlooks

but this is directed to people of faith
why do some of you take it so seriously?

why do some of you contend for the infallibility of your religious texts?
why do some of you damn those who do not believe?

why can't you admit that all you have is what you think is the best answer, not the only possibilty?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

LOL, Is this a statement of hypocrisy or what? YOU do the same for people that disagree with you. READ your post. You attack everybody that disagrees with you. But thank you for the laughs. Reading what you believe in always makes me chuckle. I would miss you if you stopped posting.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by ConstantlyWondering]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering

LOL, Is this a statement of hypocrisy or what? YOU do the same for people that disagree with you. READ your post. You attack everybody that disagrees with you. But that you for the laughs. Reading what you believe in always makes me chuckle.

quote 1 instance where i have attacked someone for simply disagreeing with me

sure, i may have called you a nut, but that was for calling for a religiously ordained genocide

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Thank you for proving my point. Now you need to repent and do what needs to be done.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Thank you for proving my point. Now you need to repent and do what needs to be done.

um, i proved nothing

all i said is i called you a nut for wanting genocide

hitler's a nut too

i'm pretty sure that all rational minded individuals would agree with the statement "hitler is a nut"

that was 1 instance in which i was calling you out on a compltely insane belief
and it wasn't just that you were disagreeing with me, you weren't providing evidence to support claims against a group of sentient living beings

you were calling for a genocide against a group of beings that may or may not exist on unsubstatiated claims...
that's just a bit nutty

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

why can't you admit that all you have is what you think is the best answer, not the only possibilty?

Facts baby...........Facts. There is only one answer. I am aware of the other choices and they all come from Babylon. Same lie, different version.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Facts baby...........Facts. There is only one answer. I am aware of the other choices and they all come from Babylon. Same lie, different version.

and all the times you've brought this supposed connection up you have not shown us any proof that they all come from babylon

tell me, how did ancient mesoamerican religion come from babylon?
hinduism?
buddhism?

so i'd like to see these facts, if you'd be so kind

[edit on 12/3/06 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Excellent questions!!!!

Here is the scoop on being a christian. I was someone destined for hell and eternity(everlasting, neverending) in torment apart from God. God took it upon Himself to pay my sin debt so that I could escape hell and live for all eternity(everlasting, neverending) with Him.

Why take it serious, 1)because it cost Jesus His life to remove my sin.

2) it's still possible that the sins I will do tomorrow, could affect Christ's suffering on the cross 2,000 years ago, so I don't want to hurt Jesus anymore than I already have.

3)I have been saved from living apart from God, to living for Him, my life should reflect that. In this way I will make right choices and be made more "like" Christ. Plus trouble comes to the person who is saved also, so we need to know God and be prepared to suffer on occasion. So EVERYTHING I do needs to be filtered through God first.

4) I have an earthly job that I get paid for so I am to do the best I can at it. I also have an eternal job that I will be getting "paid" for someday, so I should do the best I can at it right now.

5) If I truly believe I have escaped hell and am grateful for that, I also have to realize that others I know are headed to hell. I don't want ANYONE I know in hell. I want to see them for all eternity at peace and able to see God and live and work at things that are fulfilling and see the awe in their eyes as eternity unfolds(with all it's surprises) for those with God.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

LOL! CW, you're the best LOL!

You deserve a second WATS vote.

Shucks, it wont let me a second time, oh well.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

it seems to be a problem
they find religion, mysticism, faith, etc or become atheists/agnostics with different outlooks

Madness, when you discover the truth of Jesus, of course you are gonna take it seriously.

Madness, you will find the truth, and the truth will set you free.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
dbrandt,
i wonder, do you take your faith too seriously to take jokes about it?
can you question the historical accuracy of the bible?
do you believe that all you believe is 100% truth, or do you believe that you may be getting 1 or 2 things wrong?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

dbrandt,
do you believe that all you believe is 100% truth, or do you believe that you may be getting 1 or 2 things wrong?

Madness, you know what you're problem is, you're too hard headed.

I'm a christian as you know, there was a time when i believed the big bang was all there was, but i am just too amazed with this life to believe that's all their is.

Just the fact that something does exist instead of nothing is good enough for me.

Also the fact that beauty exists, bees and animals are said not to see in color, what purpose do we have for color if we are just another animal?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

dbrandt,

Madness, you know what you're problem is, you're too hard headed.

I'm a christian as you know, there was a time when i believed the big bang was all there was, but i am just too amazed with this life to believe that's all their is.

Just the fact that something does exist instead of nothing is good enough for me.

Also the fact that beauty exists, bees and animals are said not to see in color, what purpose do we have for color if we are just another animal?

this isn't a discussion about whether one should or shouldn't be religious, it's about how some people take their faith too seriously

and anyways, the question about the big bang and evolutionary benefits of seeing color belong in the origins and creation forum

i'm not being hard headed with those questions to dbrandt, i'm just being inquisitive

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

it seems to be a problem

Faith takes a certain amount of seriousness for one to even consider it a possibility. If people didn't take their faiths seriously, then it wouldn't be faith, it would be more like "kinda believing".

Some people base their entire lives around their faith, and for them to be wrong is one of their worst fears. This is why many people who were brought up one religion just flat out won't consider the possibility of anything else, that has been their whole life, and imagine how scared they are to know that their whole life could've be live incorrectly. The only "correct" way in my opinion is to love one another and treat others and you would want them to treat you.

I don't have a religion, because as someone once put it, I "don't like being stuck inside the box". Unless you consider love a faith.

But basically people are so angry and closed minded at times because they are afraid.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I believe in God, infact i talk to him all of the time and Yes, he does answer me. I am the type of person that likes to argue just for the fun of it. So sometimes i argue with God just for fun but the problem is he see's right past my BS and wins every arguement. So i says to him one day "God, tell me when is it my turn? When do I get to win an arguement?" You know what that son of gun said? He said "You can win whenever you want, all you have to do is agree with me." He's a smart one that God.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

]

and all the times you've brought this supposed connection up you have not shown us any proof that they all come from babylon

tell me, how did ancient mesoamerican religion come from babylon?
hinduism?
buddhism?

so i'd like to see these facts, if you'd be so kind

There are far too many facts to cover it's like showing you the calculations to get a rocket to the moon. So here is one small set of facts that you can verify to get to first base.

The so called prophet Zoroaster lived from around 630 BC to 550 BC and many say he is responsible for Zoroastrianism. However we can find plenty of evidence that link Zoroastrianism to around 1400 BC to 1000 BC. I saw in your post that you said 1200 BC on another thread. And yet we can find archaeological evidence to the period of 2000BC.

Russian archaeologist, Viktor Sarianidi, links Zoroaster to circa 2000 B.C. based upon excavations of the BMAC

Do you think this is accidental? Or a common pattern?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

dbrandt,

So are you saying this topic was started as a joke?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

dbrandt,

So are you saying this topic was started as a joke?

no, i just want to know if you can apply humor to your faith, or if you're too serious to make even a little bit of humor at its expense

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Russian archaeologist, Viktor Sarianidi, links Zoroaster to circa 2000 B.C. based upon excavations of the BMAC

Do you think this is accidental? Or a common pattern?

still, does not predate the religion of hinduism, which dates to at least 5000 BCE, and if you don't want to give me the facts on this thread, why not start one exclusively about your theory

[edit on 12/4/06 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul, please read your private messages (U2U's) by clicking the link below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join