It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOUL SOLDIERS ~ African Americans & The Vietnam Era

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Just recently I was given EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS by the Senator John Heinz History Center to do a series of Podcast interviews with African men and women whose lives were in jeopardy by not only a war against communist Vietnam, but within the very ranks of the American war machine. THESE are THEIR STORIES, in THEIR OWN WORDS.

Even as African American men and women headed to Vietnam to fight for their country and to show their patriotism, they faced racism in the ranks, as did their families on the home front.

Soul Soldiers: African Americans and the Vietnam Era is a new book that was published in November 2006 by the Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center. The book accompanies an exhibition of the same name on display at the History Center now through October 2007.

Soul Soldiers looks at black life through the eyes of veterans during the civil rights era by bringing together essays, poetry, oral histories, and riveting recollections that recall the horrors of war, the complexities of race, and the duality of African American life. With a foreword by Albert French, author of “Patches of Fire,” this 240-page book captures the spirit of the African American Vietnam experience and highlights the literary expression of Vietnam veterans.

To HEAR This Dave Rabbit EXCLUSIVE Podcast: Soul Soldiers

To SEE or BUY The Book: store.pghhistory.org...

This is HISTORICAL regardless of what ethnic origin you are.

Peace!

Dave

[edit on 1/3/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well I just got around to listening to the podcast and I think that the below quote sums things up nicely .

The comradeship formed in war will not be lost with the passage of time.
Quote unattributed.

Does anybody know who first said those words?
Those face or faced combat were or are in a high stress environment that takes its toll and leaves ever lasting psychological and physical scars. A solider will return from combat to his base of operations and rest up and be debriefed. There is no weekend for those out on the battlefield the enemy attack the solider base of operation just to keep him awake at night rather then to destroy the base. If my memory serves me correctly the VC use used mortals(SP?) to shell the Australian base at Nui Dat.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thankyou Dave for bringing up the best of the best with courage and fire...

You know that whole situation was coming fresh out of the 50's era, so it's not suprising to hear this, dont have time today, but I promise to come back and comment after reading/listening.

As always your friend antar

new topics

join