It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon Shoots Boulders Into Villages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Typhoon Durian sends car-sized boulders into villages in the Phillipines. At the least 388 people were killed. The storm hit thursday and had wind gusts up to 165 mph.

www.cnn.com
MANILA, Philippines (CNN) -- Survivors told of red-hot, car-sized boulders loosened by typhoon rains barreling into Philippines villages Friday after Typhoon Durian roared across the island nation. At least 388 people were killed, Red Cross officials said.

Flooding and blocked roads challenged rescue efforts after the storm hit Thursday with winds gusts up to 165 mph. At least 75 people were missing.

"Rescue teams have been sent out by boat, but many areas are inaccessible," said Gwendolyn Pang, executive assistant to the Red Cross director in Manila.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a terrible story. I think that they might have underestimated the power of a typhoon, and I think that people should have been ready for such a disaster.

The Red Cross rescue teams are working as best as they can to survey the damage and to rescue survivors of Durian. This is the fourth typhoon to hit the Philippines in the last four months.

[edit on 2-12-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Thats a really powerful storm, to loosen rocks from a volcano and send them down into villages below. I didn't know that was possible.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Looks like we are going to set a new record for the most destructive El Niño episode.

Red Cross: Asia Storm Toll May Hit 1,000 ABC

Typhoon death toll may be 'thousands' CNN

Typhoon Durian is now headed for Vietnam and its coffee growing region. Wow, and sad...

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Typhoon Durian is now headed for Vietnam and its coffee growing region. Wow, and sad...

Wow!

I can't believe the typhoon is still moving and destroying...I figured after it hit something it would stop.

How long does a typhoon normally last?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Vietnam should be Durian's last stop before it breaks apart into a open wave and drifts into the Bay of Bengal.

The Philippines average 20 tropical storms/year and many of these typhoons will pass over the islands and make landfall in China.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Are they all evacuating?

After it breaks apart what kind of damage will it do Bengal?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Durian's remnants could lead to more torrential rainfall and flooding in India, but it looks like the system will stall and dissipate before it leaves Vietnam/Cambodia because of dry air intrusion from East Asia and a big trough backing things up.

Here's a detailed forecast:
Wild Weather in South Asia Accuweather

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thisonetime
I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!

[edit on 3-12-2006 by Thisonetime]

Maybe you should just stay quiet and keep your hate to yourself, or do you really want to elaborate on your complete lack of humanity?

This is ATS, more specifically ATSNN. All caps, one line responses and hate are not tolerated here. I suggest you review theTerms and Conditions you agreed to when signing-up and before you jump back into the deep end of the pool without a life jacket.

Back to the topic.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Jeff Masters

On Jeff Masters blog he says the Red Cross has upped the number to 800 and says they expect it to go to 1000.

Apparently, the volcano had erupted over the summer. The heavy rains swept away the rocks that were loose from the eruptions and caused massive mud slides.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
the Red Cross has upped the number to 800 and says they expect it to go to 1000.

Oh jesus.

Weren't these people informed of the typhoon?

Did they have shelters for such emergencies?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I really am unsure as to how one would prepare for car-sized boulders being flung at your hut.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
but if the car hit there leg they would be in pain

thats were i come in AND SHOOT THEM IN THERE #ING HEAD TO PUT THEM OUT OF MISSERY!!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!

[edit on 3-12-2006 by Thisonetime]

How about you shut up and sit down like a good boy/girl.

We're really not interested in your juvenile idiotic thoughts.

And if I get a warning for that, so be it.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Did you even read the article? It said car sized boulders, not cars.

The heavy rains swept away the rocks that were loose from the eruptions and caused massive mud slides.

Back on topic, so this caused Lahars as well then? Thats really bad and I don't think there will be an accurate estimate of those killed for sometime if that is the case.

Oh, and Iori, wait a bit and they'll be on global ignore.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis

Originally posted by mrsdudara
the Red Cross has upped the number to 800 and says they expect it to go to 1000.

Oh jesus.

Weren't these people informed of the typhoon?

Did they have shelters for such emergencies?

Yes they were informed of the typhoon. Unfortunatly, some of the places where they took shelter were buried under the mudslides. On that link I posted, there was one lady who took her little boy to her mom's house because she thought he would be more safe there. Her moms house was swept away and her little boy was found floating in the gulf. Another story was of a gentleman who got a text message that his entire family who had taken shelter in their house was buried alive. I believe it said 7 brothers and sisters along with his mom and dad. He has only been able to find one of his siblings. They all took shelter from what was only - if I remember correctly - a cat 2 typhoon. Once the mudslides started, there was no way and no where to run from it.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Those are terrible stories mrsdudara. I think that once they were informed of the hurricane they should've just left everything behind and flown out of there.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Had they known what was going to happen, I am sure they would have. I cant imagine how it would feel to place your loved ones somewhere you think they would be safe, only to find a few roof tops left when you came back.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!

That is the worst thing i've ever heard anyone say in my life.

I'm sorry that you think that Thisonetime.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Looks like Typhoon Durian is now forecasted to go around most of Vietnam.

Joint Typhoon Warning Center Products

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

thats were i come in AND SHOOT THEM IN THERE #ING HEAD TO PUT THEM OUT OF MISSERY!!

Haha..Have you ever been seriously injured?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join