It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me to read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   

My purpose therefore is, to try if I can discover what those Principles are which have introduced all that doubtfulness and uncertainty, those absurdities and contradictions, into the several sects of philosophy; insomuch that the wisest men have thought our ignorance incurable, conceiving it to arise from the natural dullness and limitation of our faculties. And surely it is a work well deserving our pains to make a strict inquiry concerning the First Principles of Human Knowledge, to sift and examine them on all sides, especially since there may be some grounds to suspect that those lets and difficulties, which stay and embarrass the mind in its search after truth, do not spring from any darkness and intricacy in the objects, or natural defect in the understanding, so much as from false Principles which have been insisted on, and might have been avoided.

This paragraph estreat from a book called A TREATISE CONCERNING THE PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE by George Berkeley. The English this philosopher used looks a sort of classical English. It is too difficult to read for me. You see, English is not my native language, so would you help me to rewrite it to be more popular?

[edit on 2-12-2006 by emile]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile

My purpose therefore is, to try if I can discover what those Principles are which have introduced all that doubtfulness and uncertainty, those absurdities and contradictions, into the several sects of philosophy; insomuch that the wisest men have thought our ignorance incurable, conceiving it to arise from the natural dullness and limitation of our faculties. And surely it is a work well deserving our pains to make a strict inquiry concerning the First Principles of Human Knowledge, to sift and examine them on all sides, especially since there may be some grounds to suspect that those lets and difficulties, which stay and embarrass the mind in its search after truth, do not spring from any darkness and intricacy in the objects, or natural defect in the understanding, so much as from false Principles which have been insisted on, and might have been avoided.

This paragraph estreat from a book called A TREATISE CONCERNING THE PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE by George Berkeley. The English this philosopher used looks a sort of classical English. It is too difficult to read for me. You see, English is not my native language, so would you help me to rewrite it to be more popular?

[edit on 2-12-2006 by emile]

Hello friend. I hope this helps.

Why does the average man not believe his own thinking?

Smart men think that the average man is so stupid that
he can not be cured.

They think that we are born stupid.

It is better if we spend some time finding out why our brains
work the way they do.

Maybe it isn't because we can't understand, maybe it is because
we were taught the wrong things from the beginning.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Hello friend. I hope this helps.

Why does the average man not believe his own thinking?

Smart men think that the average man is so stupid that
he can not be cured.

They think that we are born stupid.

It is better if we spend some time finding out why our brains
work the way they do.

Maybe it isn't because we can't understand, maybe it is because
we were taught the wrong things from the beginning.

Good work with the Translation you pretty much got it at it's most simplest form.

Don't feel bad about not being able to read this emile I know plent of people that couldnt read and understand this and their native language is english.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice

Good work with the Translation you pretty much got it at it's most simplest form.

Don't feel bad about not being able to read this emile I know plent of people that couldnt read and understand this and their native language is english.

It's actually funny that you say that, about english speakers and all. It really goes to prove the statement I just translated, eh?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Originally posted by JackJuice

It's actually funny that you say that, about english speakers and all. It really goes to prove the statement I just translated, eh?

HAHA i didnt even think about that when i wrote it, Again Spot on!

top topics

join