It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How LOUD can a plane be?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
the loudest plane is said to be the xf-84f thunderscreech, a turboprop experimental plane, but idk i havent experienced it personally, the two loudest planes ive experienced would have to be the harrier two on full throttle and afterburner, or the ea6b prowler on full throttle. although i heard something that i dont know what it was, but i could hear it from like, a mile or two away from the base, and like ten or twenty mins after i knew it took off. it was unreal.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
While at the air show in Chicago a few years back saw (and heard) a B-1 fly low and fast just above Lake Michigan, very loud and impressive. Not the same but shortly after 911 an F-16 went super sonic nearby work responding to a false alarm. Was standing next to the reinforced windows in the office and I swear they moved in about a half inch, thought something blew up. Off topic, as a previous poster said, a couple of top fuel dragsters launching will make bodily functions happen.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My experience comes only from air shows, and living fairly close to bases.
I recall a super hornet doing the slow 'dirty' fly-by just as I was getting out of the car, and it folded everything in and went to AB over the parking lot. Not only was it astoundingly loud, the shock set off every car alarm in the parking lot!

The local base did a missing man formation in F/A-18s over my city on memorial day last year. Four of them make a good loud noise.

After that:
Concord landing and putting it's engines in reverse. It's loud enough already, but that was just insane. I used to live on the main approach to Heathrow (one 'plane a minute, wheels down), and Concord came over every night at six. The whole neighbourhood knew it.

Mudhen. Many have mentioned it above. They're right. Loud bird. Not sure on the technicals, but isn't that like two F-16 engines at once?

F-22. Very, very loud.

F-16. The Thunderbirds have the "number six will go straight up 3 miles" display. Awesome. Loud.

Two Avro Vulcans flew over my school in the early 80s. Low. Everything went dark (they are big, you know), and everyone went deaf.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
From personal experience, 4 Harriers hovering in a line at Fairford one year near split my head open with their sound, but ok that was 4 of them.

The Vulcan is loud but in a way that is good and makes me all dewey eyed.

I think the B-1 I saw fly at Fairford one year wins for overall presence, but the Victor at Bruntingthorpe wins for pure ear splitting noise even when just idling on the taxiway.

Of course it all depends how close you are too. Jealous of the guys here who witnessed the sonic boom at close range!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
In my opinion from what i have expierienced the B1-B Lancer is loud, Avro Vulcan and i even thought that the F-4 Phantom was quite loud

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I have to say, I agree with most of you here.. the B1-B

I was at RAF Mildenhall Airshow, back in 1990.. we was displaying our new Rapier S2A system.. And a B1 took off and went vertical with full reheat on.. was the loudest thing I'd ever heard.. we was told later by one of the Air traffic officers, that the plane had damaged the runway, melting some of the Asphalt..

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've worked on SR71s, F111Fs, F4 D and Es, but I don't know what the loudest one was, cause when I was about 10, in the 60's, something flew over our house and litterly scared the pee out of me and caused me to run into the house. Hey, I was just a kid. But of all the aircraft I was close to on the flightline, I have to say the Harrier was the loudest and most annoying. We called them Mosquitoes.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As a kid I used to live right in the sticks in Devon and regularly saw Tornados doing very low flybys, a hell of a noise as a kid. But the one that took the biscuit was seeing a Vulcan come overhead at low altitude while driving back from Wales. Hell of a noise.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Any aircraft that can break the sound barrier... F-22 Raptor is mine

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join