It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit Stirs Up Guacamole Labeling Controversy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
A woman in Los Angeles is sueing Kraft Foods Inc. because Kraft's Dips Guacamole contains less than 2% avocado. The label clearly states what is in the product, but the woman claims it is fraudulent to call the product a "guacamole dip" when it hardly contains any avocado. Her lawsuit says she wants Kraft to stop labeling the product as "guacamole", then she wants her attorney fees and punitive damages. The FDA mandates that peanut butter must contain 90% peanuts, but has no mandates as to how much avocado has to be in guacamole dip. The plaintiff is also involved in lawsuits or has filed lawsuits against other large corporations, such as Sears and Carfax.

www.latimes.com
On Wednesday, a Los Angeles woman sued the Northfield, Ill.-based food company, alleging that it committed fraud by calling its dip "guacamole." Her lawyer says suits against other purveyors of "fake guacamole" could be filed soon.

The suit, which seeks class-action status, highlights the liberty some food companies take in labeling their products.

If consumers read the fine print, they would discover that Kraft Dips Guacamole contains less than 2% avocado. But few of them do. California avocado growers, who account for 95% of the nation's avocado crop, said they didn't know that store-bought guacamole contained little of their produce.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me, this is another ridicules lawsuit. The product is clearly labeled as to its contents. Read the label before you buy a "guacamole dip" if it is so important to you how much avocado is in the dip.

This is the kind of lawsuits that just drive the cost of everything up. Who knows, this might be the way this woman makes a living. She has sued other big companies before, and she will probably do it again. Asking for "PUNITIVE" damages, that is just ridicules to me. I wonder what kind of physical harm and mental anguish she must have went thru when she found out it was only 2% avocado?

Give her back the money she spent on the product, tell her to read the label next time and send her on her way.

[edit on 1/12/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Can you imagine if she gets away with it? Prepare for a flood of people claiming punitive damages and emotional suffering because their salad dressing only contained a small amount of (enter ingredient of choice). Ridicules to say the least. I'll sue her for punitive damages when the price of products goes up do to her stupidity.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Anyone ever tough of suing people because they sued too much and blocked the judicial system? hmm Damage and interests...

Like that old South Park episode...

Everyone against Everyone... Everyone comitted crime and everyone's guilty...

Everyone should therefore pay!

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
oh man, people suck on so many levels its not even funny.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
IMHO the fact that it is a " Guacamole dip " rather than " Guacamole " might feature heavily in the defendants legal strategy

but bottom line - she bought a product labled @ 2% avacado - so caveat emptor

if she realy is bothered - why does the woman not buy the ingredients and make it herself - it is not rocket science

Guacamole = mashed avacado flesh , lime juice , salt [ to taste]

that is it

though it does beg the question , what crap bulking agent comprises the other 97% + of the Kraft product ?????????????

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
There are two sides to this.

It sure sucks that a company can say, "Well, WE like quacamole that consists almost entirely of MSG." There ought to be some kind of rules. Obviously, the peanut farmers have guarded their product in FDA guidelines.

On the other hand, the old fashioned, AMERICAN way, would be for her to make her own guacamole, with 6% guacamole, and proceed to drive Kraftcorp into the macroeconomic dirt with her superior prodcut placement and customer satisfaction.

Kraft may make a sucky product.

But lawyers don't produce anything at all.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Does that mean I can sue the manufacturers of Head Cheese because there arn't any heads in it?

Ill sue restaraunts that sell buffalo wings because they arn't made from real buffalos!

Shesh that one is such a long shot I hope the judge throws his gavel at her.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Does that mean I can sue the manufacturers of Head Cheese because there arn't any heads in it?

You do know where head cheese comes from, right????

More likely, a lawsuit because it doesn't contain cheese.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
LOL Actualy I would rather it contain cheese. Please don't enlighten me where it comes from. Ive eaten Haggis and blood pudding and enjoyed it without knowing the origins of where it comes from. Thank you.

Other things I have eaten include "rocky mountain oysters" which are bulls testicles. I know and I still would eat them cause they are good. In fact on that one I had a friend try them and I asked him what he thought about them before I told him what they were and he remarked that they were fantastic. I made sure he liked them before I clued him in on what they were. Now he is as big a fan as I am.

I was merely comenting on frivolus lawsuits.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Good for this woman, we can just have companies parading around false advertising for their products. We need more lawsuits like these so everything may be exactly what it appears. what else are lawyers good for anyways?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I want to sue. I can't sleep at night knowing all these rediculous lawsuits can appear, then be won. This is causing extreme emotional damage to me, and I think I need a large lump sum of money to make up for all this scarring thats occurring.

The idea that the justice system can be manipulated and exploited to such an extent is shameful to such an extent its emotionally damaging.

why doesn't she take some personal responsibility? Like reading the contents? If it said 100% real, and it were 97% fake but didn't list it, and she finds out, sue for your money back, and a large lump sum which goes to a nice charity. After all, why do you deserve any more money then what you lost in costs? They need a fine, the money shouldn't go to the government, but it shouldn't go to you either. I say fine them for false advertising so they won't do it again, and give the money to charities like cures for cancer.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
you go, grimreaper!

One of the big problems in US society is that every bad thing has a dollar equivalency.

Some tragedies cannot be fixed with money.

Some wrongs cannot be redressed with a fine.

Basically, the woman's lawsuit comes down to the idea that "someone else is being naughty and/or stupid, and I deserve money for spotting it."

If the world is going to work that way, I am owed billions.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Hey we got no shortage of lawyers. I say if you can exploit it, do it. I agree the company should also face a nice fine.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Pathetic, truly pathetic.

It baffles me that people will do things like this.

Pathetic! It seems that people sue left and right about any old thing these days.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Leave to some flake from California to file a class action lawsuit over nothing. The Box is clearly marked so you cannot blame Kraft, for your inability to read the label. Talk about a dumb lawsuit. :shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Even if she does win her case, it will be up to the judge and jury on how much money she gets. More than likely, they will think it's even ridiculous to consider her as being harmed by this product, but if she does win, they might reward her the amount it cost her to buy the product.

The court costs alone will probably make her drop the lawsuit.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
though it does beg the question , what crap bulking agent comprises the other 97% + of the Kraft product ?????????????

From original article:

Like much of the prepared guacamole sold in supermarkets, Kraft guacamole is essentially a whipped paste made from partially hydrogenated soybean and coconut oils, corn syrup, whey and food starch. Yellow and blue dyes give it the green color.

[edit on 3/12/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
"the jury rules against the company, and we will be awarding the victim a total of 2 dollars and 98 cents. This court is adjourned."
that would be funny to hear

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

and what about girl scout cookies? hmmmmm?

i think this whole thing is a classic case of someone with wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much free time.

i hope the judge looks her straight in the eye and says "ma'am, you know what? im going to find you in contempt of court and sentance you to 90 days in jail for wasting my time. case dismissed"

hehe

new topics

top topics

join