It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Little Voice Inside Your Head

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
Theres a part of us.. that knows when that little voice is lying to us.. or making things seem better than they really are.. or fabricated to any degree.. sometimes we are so hypnotized by that "voice" we follow it into perils we should have never gone in to.. Knowing full well ahead of time we shouldn't..

I have a question about this.
If the voice told you to do something you shouldn't. How did you know in advance that you shouldn't?
Another voice told you that? or the same voice?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
If the voice told you to do something you shouldn't. How did you know in advance that you shouldn't?

It's called your Concsience, Spacedoubt. Your Concsience and your 'little voice' are two different things.

Anyway, my little voice used to be critical of me, but that all ended when I really realised that all the bad things I have done have been forgiven by God, but that's another story.

Now, my 'little voice' is helpful and appriciating. It doesn't draw upon the bad memories I have simply because it 'knows' that I know that they were bad and that I won't do them again.

I do believe that your 'little voice' is your subconcious, which also communicates with you through feelings. Ever feel hungry? That's your Subcon., taking the information its getting from your Nervous System and saying that you need to eat.

However, don't get me wrong. My Subcon. isn't a 'Yes-man' as the term has been used but it is instead starting to form it's own sort of personality. It comes to different conclusions than I would, and it certainly takes different view points on a good many things.

Also I'm not going crazy, the only reason I can know these things about my Subcon. is because I have learned how to translate the feelings it sends me when I ask it a question. I'll get a splatter of feelings and I'll be able to know its response. No, I don't let it's responses effect my action, unless it's right and wins the argument. Which, while it does happen, doesn't happen very often.

That's what I think anyway. Not that it'll make a difference, my and my Subcon. are sorta stuck together for the rest of my life.

No, my Subcon. is not really me, it's just a section of my personality. Me is how I act, and my personality is what I want/feel. Afterall, if we didn't deny our own impulses then we'd be no better than animals.

Ex

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I wonder if it is truly possible to control one's little voice to the extent you describe. I personally think that that little voice is a sort of culmination of everything we have experienced in our lives. From the way Mommy held me
in her womb, brain cells are formed inside the womb and are they not active before the brain at birth tells you to breath and cry?

Yes, I understand that you must decide on a conscious level what is good and bad for the survival of self , through your life, and making decisions based on facts of experience.but don't you think that that voice has much more content than a right or wrong scenario??

I have also had a voice inside my head , but not mine,
Twice
The first was when I was small and on an early Easter morning standing on a hill,
Yea.she made us go to sunrise service..tell me inside my head.but more from an external voice
"My life would be hard....( there was more) "

The second time was 40 years later when a woman was trying to stab me with a knife over her breakup with my eldest son

The voice said
" do not open the door"

Later I found out she was outside with a knife .

I think that little voice is a survival mechanism
of some sort
and a recorder of all we experience.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think your talking about intuition, the mind exist within every cell not just the head or brain, like when you say you have a gut feeling you feel it in the gut, worried or heartbroken then you feel it in the heart. Modern man does not use his intuition as much as he once did in the past. Women have stronger sense of intuition. Intuition isnt a thought its a feeling. Like I said you are not a thought, nor do you own a thought. Thoughts come and go and are not yours.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
You can control your thoughts and be thought free. It is quite difficult to do, but thoughts are an activity of the mind just as walking is the activity of the legs. You can choose to walk or not but the legs are still there. I have always been interested in the "ego" and mind. You must not identify with thoughts because you dont own them and they are not you. Who are you before you have a thought? Remember the saying "I think therefore I am" That is not the true self.

To be aware of the void is to be pure thought.... because to be aware arises thoughts.

You may not see that as the true self... but that is because you haven't seen yourself from that perspective..

the thought of the mind is inferior to the thought that is watching the mind...
the brain doesn't feel... so it needs something to watch it... to 'feel' for it..
.. don't you find it interesting that they cannot find a 'spark' or 'bit' of you that ... is you..
its useless trying to explain this.. because its totally misunderstood unless you've 'been' there.. within yourself.. you're on the outside looking in... just wait till you're on the inside looking out...
I'm not going to bother to explain anything indepth because people are generally cynical, quick to misunderstand and 'happy' enough believing what-ever it is they believe.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yes pure energy it cannot really be put into words, one has to experience it.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
Theres a part of us.. that knows when that little voice is lying to us.. or making things seem better than they really are.. or fabricated to any degree.. sometimes we are so hypnotized by that "voice" we follow it into perils we should have never gone in to.. Knowing full well ahead of time we shouldn't..

THOUGHT

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
yeah i know what you mean... that voice in your head that no one else hears unless you speak through your vocal cords. i wish it would just shut up, rather than carrying on thinking about things. so how does one go about controlling this voice? I'd be very interested to hear from Demetre on this as they seem to have it down-packed.

Originally posted by Demetre
I think this person makes a ton of sense. I'm very surprised. Most people don't have that kind of rhetoric with themselves. The fact that You are so 'in tune' with Yourself is a wonderful thing. Everyday I strive to change that ever-so pessimistic voice in My head. It's almost impossible some days. I know that My inner thoughts effect Me and all I come across. Yes. My thoughts are energy. I'm amazed how the redirection of My energy has changed everything about Me. I'm happier than I've ever been because the 'tape' playing in My head isn't condescending. It's not angry or hurtful anymore.

How did you 're-direct the energy'?
how did you stop the 'tape playing in your head' from being condescending?

when you notice this voice do you just start humming or repeating affirmations or what? i find it rather hard to walk around thinkin "im so good", "im so happy", "im so perfect" it tends to focus more on "what should i eat for breakfast" or "i wonder if that was the right thing to do" or "whats that person lookin at" "ok just keep walkin dont even look at them" and random things like that. Its just internalised thoughts but its pretty hard to think good thoughts all the time and not worry about anything right? i've even heard one of my friends vocalize their internal thought by accident which was quite funny. they said something like "i wonder what john's doing today" and then asked me sincerly "did I just say that out loud?".
I'm pretty sure i've accidently done this before as well.

so how do we control this 'voice' this internalized thought? well if it is internalized thought then we'd have to start by changing your thought patterns and change yourself by doing meditation and hypnosis. I often wonder if other people can hear this 'voice inside me' even though im not vocalizing it, perhaps its a secret that everyones in on but me.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can we be clear on a definition of the voice. Is this the voice that tells you "this is a bad idea" or the voice that you hear when silenty reading?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Can we be clear on a definition of the voice. Is this the voice that tells you "this is a bad idea" or the voice that you hear when silenty reading?

Those two voices are the same..

when you are reading... you are training the voice.... or giving it material..
(adding/connecting things to your subconcious..)

and the reason why people can SOMETIMES hear a LOUDer voice that doesn't appear to be their own, is because we just assume the 'inner-dialogue voice' has OUR own vocal pattern voice.. but it doesn't..
it uses that voice because it hears your vocal pattern voice and mimmicks it because it thinks you'll listen to it.. (which you do most times) ..

with an inner-dialogue like that who needs enemies or critics? ...

I think we're getting bogged down with whether or not this phenomenon actually happens which is halarious because you should already be very famliar with this 'voice' or internal commands, or internal dialogue.. but its funny that we are not familiar AT ALL with it, what-so-ever.. we're mostly afraid of what it'll reveal about us.. lol

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Is it possible to read to yourself without hearing the words?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Here is an interesting test

Just choose a word , any word. It may be anything.

You can choose the name of a God or a saint or any ordinary name- Anything of your choice- Krishna, Ram, Jesus Christ, Allah, Aum, George Bush, John Karry, Saddam, Osama, America, love, hate anything!!! Your imagination is the limit.

Have you chosen the word? OK now what you have to do is this:

"you have to repeat this word exactly 40 times silently in your mind (with your eyes closed and without using any external means for counting) and no thought should come in your mind during repetition"

You have to repeat exactly 40 times, no less no more. If during repetition, you forget counting, repeat it again. It is irrelevant whether you repeat it exactly 40 times in 1st attempt or in 2nd , 3rd or nth attempt. Main thing is that you should repeat it exactly 40 times in your mind.

Be careful: Counting should be in your mind . No external means (not even fingers of your hands) should be used for counting. Count silently with your eyes closed and don't allow any thoughts to come in your mind while counting,

Rest assured: This is NOT a test of your concentration. There is no right or wrong way of doing this.

When you finish it, come back and I will ask you some questions. So stop reading further and do what has been instructed. Next Para is relevant only to those who'll try this test. Just do it now.

Have you done it ? OK . Welcome back !

So you have repeated a word exactly 40 times in your mind and no (or some) thought/s came in your mind during repetition. Right?

Please choose among the following options the one that suits you most:

(1) I repeat the word exactly 40 times silently in my mind and during repetition no thought came in my mind.

(2) I repeat the word exactly 40 times but some thought came in my mind during repetition.

(3) I repeat the word exactly 40 times but could not do it in first attempt as some thoughts pop up in mind and I lost counting. So I restarted counting and finished in the 2nd, 3rd , ____th attempt (write your attempt)

(4) In my 2nd, 3rd, .nth counting attempt, no thought came in my mind.

(5) In my 2nd, 3rd, .nth counting attempt some thoughts came in my mind, but I did not forget counting and repeat exactly 40 times.

(6) I could not repeat exactly 40 times in any of my attempts because every time I start repeating, thoughts kept coming in mind and I forget counting.

Have you chosen your option, the one which suits you. I hope you have chosen.

Now irrespective of which option you have chosen, I ask you:

How can you say so that the option you have selected suits you? How do you know?

In the answer of this question, lies the presence of self in you.

Just tell me : How can you say that the option you selected is suitable for you ?

Suppose you have selected the option no. (1), i.e. you are the one who repeat the word silently exactly 40 times and no thought came in your mind during repetition. Just tell me how can you say so. How do you know that some thought came or didn't come? After all your mind was engaged in repeating a word exactly 40 times, then who was there in you watching the flow of thought , who was there watching your mind as it repeats the word ? Who is there who knows that some thought came or not came . It must not be your body (as there is no participation of it in the test), it must not be your mind as it was busy repeating a word exactly 40 times. So what it is ?

You may say - 'Well I was watching. I was aware, careful that no thought come in my mind. I was observing the flow of thoughts and I can say with confidence that while I was repeating the word, no/some thought/s came in my mind.

Who was watching ? your body ? your mind ? or you ?

If you were watching the flow of thought while your mind repeated a word, you should be different from your body and mind. Right ?

Irrespective of what is the option among the above six that you have chosen, one

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Just choose a word , any word. It may be anything.

You can choose the name of a God or a saint or any ordinary name- Anything of your choice- Krishna, Ram, Jesus Christ, Allah, Aum, George Bush, John Karry, Saddam, Osama, America, love, hate anything!!! Your imagination is the limit.

Have you chosen the word? OK now what you have to do is this:

"you have to repeat this word exactly 40 times silently in your mind (with your eyes closed and without using any external means for counting) and no thought should come in your mind during repetition"

You have to repeat exactly 40 times, no less no more. If during repetition, you forget counting, repeat it again. It is irrelevant whether you repeat it exactly 40 times in 1st attempt or in 2nd , 3rd or nth attempt. Main thing is that you should repeat it exactly 40 times in your mind.

Be careful: Counting should be in your mind . No external means (not even fingers of your hands) should be used for counting. Count silently with your eyes closed and .................................................................

Irrespective of what is the option among the above six that you have chosen, one

Thats an excellent method .... glad you thought of that.. hope you haven't copy-righted the idea.. lol
I'll be using it..

I also love repeating a word vocally out-loud and having it lose absolutely all meaning... lol

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I chose option 6, did i win?

words hold meaning so its obviously going to bring up a thought of something you've experienced before or whatever emotions, beliefs or connotations that word holds for you.

during meditation you are told to focus on your breath and even say "in" and "out" whilst breathing so this kind of thing doesn't happen. "only in silence can we see who we really are, once we know this, we can use inner silence to find the answers we seek."

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
maybe a week ago i had a voice in my head tell me that , If i did a certain few things i was going to do then i would not be Justified ( It really dident make any sense ) and what i was going through would just stop ( My ability's )

Ever since i haven't done those things i was going to do my ability's have been getting better.

I can say one of the things i was going to do was spend 1900 dollars on turbo parts for my car that people sent me on paypal for " Non existent car parts " , And then close my paypal and bank account .

at the time i was trying to get this Huge 36 mm BOLT on that held one of my axles in , But i couldent because the place you screw it onto was stripped beyond repair and i was trying to get it on for maybe 2 hours ... , and after i told my self i wasent going to spend that money and just let paypal refund it back to the people , I got on it right away .

Heh im thinking these voices are good voices ...

Ex

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I tried your test....very nice example.

I counted to 40 without starting over but in the process had
many thoughts about the word I chose and the external things
going on around me at the time I was doing it.

My word was...telemarketers

Just a word out of nowhere.......but in the process of repeating it
thought of the people that do this kind of work
the way they physically had to sit in a chair.
the other folks at the end of their lines

LOL...and the external voices from my TV that were interrupting my
repetition of the word.......mute button LOL

Excellent example

Ex

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Did you watch Glenn Beck last night....??
He had John Edwards on.

Mr Edwards was talking about this very thing.

He said.I am paraphrasing here...

That that is how he hears people from the otherside
in the very voice you are referring to.
Like the voice you hear when you are reading in silence
and that he has no problems with this voice when it comes to telling others messages from their families

BUT
when it came to his own Mother and family..his thought processes and the voice work differently, and he cannot distinguish between past experiences and
recollections of them.and the words that his loved one is trying to say to him

I thought it fascinating this thread is up today.on that very subject.

Are we all in possession of the ability to hear from the otherside??

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The mind is energy so its natural inclination is to follow the path of least resistance, like lightening will find the easiest thing to strike. The path of least resistance is the so-called negative path. The one that offers no resistance.

Sub-conscious is neutral in the sense that it will accept all things as true, whether it's humour, lies, jokes or truth, what you tell your own sub-conscious is what it will take as unbiased and true information.

So if that little voice constantly reiterates all the short-comings and dissapointments of life, such as 'I don't have enough money' or 'I'll never find a parking spot' - as is the habit of least resistance and not a discipline of positive action, that is what the sub-conscious will believe about itself, even if it's said as a joke.

Discipline to counter every little voice with a positive or an affirmation will change the quality life for the better.

There are affirmations for every ailment that ails you. Louise Hay wrote a fabulous book on healing through affirmation called "You Can Heal Your Life."

That little voice is a powerful Zen master.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Eonnn,
I re-direct My energy by changing My thought process. Don't get Me wrong, it's not that I never get a negative thought. There are some days when nothing but a good cry/tantrum would do. I just choose to view My circumstances in a different manner. That clerk still irritates Me for being slow. That old lady in front Me going 20 mph still drives Me crazy. Instead of being ticked off I try thinking of it as a lesson in patience(which I'm very short on at times). I see 'life-lessons'. I see challenges to over come. I see experiences, and I'm far from mastering any of them.

I definately don't tell Myself 'I'm so perfect' or 'I'm so good' because I'm neither. I do tell Myself 'I'm so happy' - because I am, or I am b'cuz that's what I tell Myself. My family and I are happy, healthy and We love each other very much. We have a safe, warm home and always have food on Our table. I'm not in Iraq. My home isn't destroyed by floods or a tsunami and I don't live in Darfur.

People don't hear voices that are inside of You. I guess unless They're psychic. You are energy & Your energy has a vibration. Have You not met someone who exhudes negativity or 'bad vibes'?

I could use My past as a crutch. I could dwell on all of it's evils, but I don't. Every experience in My life, including the heartbreak has brought Me to who and what I am today, and I'm very happy with both. It really is just a choice.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Typically my internal voice is used to diagnose technical issues.

I also consider the music player in my head along the same lines as that voice. While I'm outside of doing work in robotics, all it does is play whatever song in crystal clarity I currently want to listen to. It's so spot on and requires no thought, to the point where I rarely bother with actually playing music on a player, other than to hear a new song to give to the player in my head.

While I am at the lab, my internal audio both plays music and assists me in diagnosing and designing circuits. The most common thing heard by it is "Oh, what the **** is wrong with it this time", and "I swear I just checked that".

It doesnt really give me advice, nor tell me anything about me, or anyone else. Just music and technical diagnosis.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join