It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Little Voice Inside Your Head

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
First of all, don't try and play normal, saying you don't talk to yourself inside your head.. its bullshavick.. You aren't fooling anyone..

Has anyone else ever wondered why we think that voice IS us.. ??
It mimmicks our natural voice.. (or atleast we assume it does, since it isn't exactly audible)... (or atleast shouldn't be) .. lol
hahahaha

But we assume that it is us.. and assume it has our voice.. yet it is voiceless to a degree..

In some of us, this voice is increasingly negative.. it puts US down.. it mocks us.. tells us where we did good, and where we did poorly...
But it really seems this voice is overly obsessed with our bodies.. and its actions and reactions.. infact thats all it ever seems to talk about...

“We talk to ourselves incessantly about our world. In fact we maintain our world with our internal talk. And whenever we finish talking to ourselves about ourselves and our world, the world is always as it should be. We renew it, we rekindle it with life, we uphold it with our internal talk. Not only that, but we also choose our paths as we talk to ourselves. Thus we repeat the same choices over and over until the day we die, because we keep on repeating the same internal talk over and over until the day we die. A warrior is aware of this and strives to stop his internal talk.”

-Don Juan Matus/Carlos Castaneda-

But as I was saying before.. it doesn't have a voice.. yet we know it CAN have a voice.. if the TRUE us.. chooses to repeat what we heard/thought ..
Theres a part of us.. that knows when that little voice is lying to us.. or making things seem better than they really are.. or fabricated to any degree.. sometimes we are so hypnotized by that "voice" we follow it into perils we should have never gone in to.. Knowing full well ahead of time we shouldn't.. (hence the human drama of.. DAMN I KNEW IT!, or ...I SHOULD HAVE GUESS... THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME!....
It is amazingly deceptive.. because all it ever talks about is... the body.. or other peoples bodies.. its insanely deceptive.. it ignores the pure good thinking THOUGHT within people and judges them externally exactly how they judge themselves....

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
In fact, that little voice is your worst friend. It says the most horrible things to you and about you. The 'real' you, the you that recognizes the voice, would never have a friend that talked that way.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by MrPenny]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think that little voice is our subconcious. It's only human nature to second-guess our actions. Let's face it, we're our own worst critics. I am not at all surprised that we internally "vocalize" our thoughts. It's part of our communication process, even if we are holding rethorical conversations with ourselves.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
I think that little voice is our subconcious. It's only human nature to second-guess our actions. Let's face it, we're our own worst critics. I am not at all surprised that we internally "vocalize" our thoughts. It's part of our communication process, even if we are holding rethorical conversations with ourselves.

on the contrary... the subconcious is for reinforcement.. healthy thoughts.. loving, and giving, understanding and accepting..

We are our own worst critics? .. That's really bad if you feel that way... it's definately not healthy to keep measuring yourself in that manner.. Your subconcious should contain healthy loving thoughts if any... why do you deem the subconcious evil.. or negative or as a critic.. you are calling yourself those things... be aware of what you think.. for it is you... What a mess you have if your subconcious is filled with bad fruit.. it will rot and bugs will come and feast..

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The littler voice, can tell you anything you want, from good things to bad things, it can influence your actions and can be blamed for many bad decisions that people make.

It can take shapes if you wish for and can manifest on anything you can imagine, even in you dreams.

If you pay to much attention to it, you can filter the junk from the messages and end up with some good advice.

Yes, we all have that littler voice, but is up to us to make it work to our advantage and not against us.

That littler voice had given me some great advice and has warned me from very bad decisions, so it does have a purposed.

You just need to get it to do it in a positive way.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sorry, but what 'little' voice?

Are you talking about the subvocalized voice that you make when for example reading? Or are you talking about the voice (images on my behalf) that you can't control that comes up out of nowhere?

Sorry to say, I have never experienced a 'voice' mocking *me*. I have however experienced a voice mocking everyone I looked at, in one way or another.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Volatile]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
Your subconcious should contain healthy loving thoughts if any... why do you deem the subconcious evil.. or negative or as a critic.. you are calling yourself those things... be aware of what you think.. for it is you... What a mess you have if your subconcious is filled with bad fruit.. it will rot and bugs will come and feast..

Do you study neuroscience at the university? And is there something I have missed? Since, from what i've ever gathered; Your subconscious is neutral. It doesn't reinforce you... It *is* you. Further more, if the subconscious is so overly kind and loving of your consciousness, why are there neuron-networks for sadness, hate, pain and suffering in your mind as well?

The human brain is like the universe. It is based on good and evil. And let's not forget; It's extremely primal.

And why is it bad that your mind makes bad assumptions about you as a whole? Why is it good that you constantly think about peace? They are both bad. It's like the saying:

If you look into pure light, you will be blinded.
If you look into pure darkness, you will see nothing.

So don't even try to put up a definition of what is good and what is evil, because that's just the social-heiring that will show itself in you.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 1-12-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Volatile
Sorry to say, I have never experienced a 'voice' mocking *me*. I have however experienced a voice mocking everyone I looked at, in one way or another.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Volatile]

You've never judged your recently previous actions? .. like oh snap I did real crappy on that exam.. or wow, I just about died.. I should 'watch' myself..

reading is training that subvocalized voice to repeat patterns of numbers and letters and make sense of them.. so it's no different than the voice you seemingly cannot control.. that seem predominant in certain circumstances..

Do you study neuroscience at the university?

No, .. I study my own neuroscience based on my life and how I formulate thoughts.. and numerous articles and books I have read, and conversations with people who work in neuroscience.

And is there something I have missed?

Don't ask me, I'm not you....

Since, from what i've ever gathered; Your subconscious is neutral.

Than you are quite nieve to your own personal flaws, and your own un-doings..
it is NOT neutral.. it is neutral yes.. in the sense that it does NOT judge whether things are actually self serving or actually self detrimental...
So yes.. it is neutral in that sense..
but depending on what you store in your subconcious.. you will operate either beneficially to man-kind or anti-mankind and anti-self..

It doesn't reinforce you... It *is* you

On the contrary.. it BECOMES you ... Your thoughts are not you until you allow them to have influence over you..
it reinforces you depending on your intent and what is in your subconcious..
so it will either reinforce everything you did right...... or everything you did wrong..
... your subconcious holds everything that is within your potential immediate senses .. it also holds various well used reactions to certain senses..
Its quite a bit more complicated but I don't have time to write out exactly how it functions right here.. because people are generally cynical to begin with..

Further more, if the subconscious is so overly kind and loving of your consciousness, why are there neuron-networks for sadness, hate, pain and suffering in your mind as well?

Its still there in its current state because you haven't done anything to it.. you haven't tried to understand it for what it is.. and you haven't accepted or understood it... or loved it for what it has or can teach you..

The human brain is like the universe. It is based on good and evil. And let's not forget; It's extremely primal.

The human brain is exactly the universe... the ONE WORD made manifest... and what we make/made manifest is either good (self/mankind beneficial) or it is evil (self/mankind detrimental)
yeh, its very primal.. it just DOES... without regard for anyone.. or anything..

The mind was made the way it was, so it can detect differences.. very slight differences in the world around it.. it keeps a record of it so it can refine it as it goes along.. makes the rules as it goes along.. (which is all we've actually done) .. what a child-like board game ..

It questions and affirms itself so it can better view the world around it.. although people love to rerun old views because they refuse to see the new one..

So stop being so pesi-mystic.. lol
and cynical...
because it will show the laziness within you..

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think this person makes a ton of sense. I'm very surprised. Most people don't have that kind of rhetoric with themselves. The fact that You are so 'in tune' with Yourself is a wonderful thing. Everyday I strive to change that ever-so pessimistic voice in My head. It's almost impossible some days. I know that My inner thoughts effect Me and all I come across. Yes. My thoughts are energy. I'm amazed how the redirection of My energy has changed everything about Me. I'm happier than I've ever been because the 'tape' playing in My head isn't condescending. It's not angry or hurtful anymore. Don't get Me wrong, sometimes life kicks Me in the ass just as hard as it does everyone else, I choose not to let it control Me. I choose to view it as a 'life-lesson'. I read a saying that I've found very useful. I don't know where, or who wrote it. I wish I could give props, but it goes-

' When things don't go My way;I let go of My attachment to how I think they should be, trusting that I'm not seeing the big picture. If I knew the picture I would understand that there is a reason for things unfolding the way they are, and that the cosmos has a plan for Me much grander than anything I have concieved'

Anyway, great post.

Peace. K*

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

on the contrary... the subconcious is for reinforcement.. healthy thoughts.. loving, and giving, understanding and accepting..

We are our own worst critics? .. That's really bad if you feel that way... it's definately not healthy to keep measuring yourself in that manner..

If you think the only true purpose of your inner voice is to act as a cheerleader to "sis, bah, boom" you through life then you're deceiving yourself. You might as well take Stuart Smalley's 12-step affirmation program for self-confidence. Look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I'm smart, I'm able, and gosh-darn people like me." You'll pretty much get the same effect.

Truth of the matter is our subconcious needs balance. Ying working in conjunction with Yang. If there's no balance with your "yes-man" subconcious, then there's no true introspect.

Let's say, your walking along and you come across Situation A, whatever that might be. Situation A is one that you could easily take advantage of, but it might not neccessarily be the "right" thing to do. For most people, a little comical Angel and Devil would appear on each shoulder to assess the situation. This would be your subconcious having a moral debate. This is a *good* thing.

Despite whatever choice you decide to make in regards to Situation A, your subconcious actually considered alternate options. In other words, you either made a moral decision or an immoral one. Whatever the case, it was made with a balanced subconcious.

Without that little inner voice providing balanced introspect, you will in essence have no conscience. Without that you have become an "amoral" person. Becoming an amoral person would be a terrible thing. You go through life doing whatever you want without thought to consequence. After all, you can do no wrong -- and if you do -- who cares! It won't bother you one bit, because you will have no critical voice to tell you so.

Your "yes-man" subconscious now operates within an absolute vacuum. And that, my friend, is a sad and scary thought.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well honestly the only time there's a voice in my head, is when
I'm practicing a discussion for when I have to speak in front
of people.

I don't have any part of my mind that questions my actions.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Without that little inner voice providing balanced introspect, you will in essence have no conscience. Without that you have become an "amoral" person. Becoming an amoral person would be a terrible thing. You go through life doing whatever you want without thought to consequence. After all, you can do no wrong -- and if you do -- who cares! It won't bother you one bit, because you will have no critical voice to tell you so.

Your "yes-man" subconscious now operates within an absolute vacuum. And that, my friend, is a sad and scary thought.

healthy loving thoughts

I should touch that red hot element, because red is the color of hearts, and hearts mean love... yay! burns of love!!!......

was that at all healthy? .... HEALTHY+LOVING+THOUGHTS...

"YES-MAN" Please point that gun at my skull and shoot me... YES-MAN I love you...

why are you people so cynical... you honestly think I don't already know what you are telling me? ..

I said you subconcious should be filled with healthy loving thoughts... not stupid loving thoughts....

I said live life impeccably... using your energy properly for the best possible results..

and filling your subconcious with thoughts that will allow you to be able to accomplish that..

I was in no way saying you shouldn't look at reality as it really is... I NEVER said call a grey elephant pink... because it suits your desires.. I said say the elephant can be painted pink.... be realistic... not fairy-tale-istic..

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well honestly the only time there's a voice in my head, is when
I'm practicing a discussion for when I have to speak in front
of people.

I don't have any part of my mind that questions my actions.

So you're telling me .....
you never decide what to eat before you eat it? ..
never decide to stop at a stop light, because you KNOW red means stop ..
never say to yourself.. gee, I'm tired I should go to bed..
or boy, I'm rested I should wake up get dressed..
you never say to yourself.. I should put my underwear on before I put on my pants.. ???

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The little voice inside my head is a little manic DJ with a supiriority complex

I mean I know im better than everyone else I don't need that little bastard pointing it out to me every five frekin seconds. LOL just kidding.

That little voice is your inner monologue its a part of your thought process and it is typicly used as a filter between your mind and your mouth.

Course my filter sometimes developes holes in it and I get verbal diariha

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

So you're telling me .....
you never decide what to eat before you eat it? ..
never decide to stop at a stop light, because you KNOW red means stop ..
never say to yourself.. gee, I'm tired I should go to bed..
or boy, I'm rested I should wake up get dressed..
you never say to yourself.. I should put my underwear on before I put on my pants.. ???

There is'nt a voice in my head that tells me to stop, or go to bed
or wake up or anything, there things I generally don't even think
about, unless I don't want to do them, but either way, there's no
voice, I have feelings of tiredness or hnger, but no voices.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
@ iori_komei
There is'nt a voice in my head that tells me to stop, or go to bed
or wake up or anything, there things I generally don't even think
about, unless I don't want to do them, but either way, there's no
voice, I have feelings of tiredness or hnger, but no voices.

yeh... those all STARTED off as voices... you in your mothers stomach... hearing her say... I'm hungry... and then you were aware that she would eat..
Thirsty... .same thing..

You TAKE FOR GRANTED that you know how to do those things... and WHEN to do them.. and how to vocalize it..

I never said it was a definitive voice.. audible and all that.. but it is THERE.. it exists..

If you didn't think about going to sleep or waking up.. you would wonder how the hell you got there in the first place.. and you'd also wonder when/how you fell asleep...
(Drunk/Drinking people can vouch for that) ..

So you're lying to me.. or yourself... either one.. you aren't recognizing the fact you may be influenced by your own thoughts.......... Never have I said they were voices.. like an audible voice.. although they CAN be...

mod edit, long quoting

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

healthy loving thoughts

I should touch that red hot element, because red is the color of hearts, and hearts mean love... yay! burns of love!!!......

was that at all healthy? .... HEALTHY+LOVING+THOUGHTS...

~~~~~
I was in no way saying you shouldn't look at reality as it really is... I NEVER said call a grey elephant pink... because it suits your desires.. I said say the elephant can be painted pink.... be realistic... not fairy-tale-istic..

There's nothing wrong with having healthy loving thoughts. That's wonderful. Your arguements entails having no negative thoughts - not so wonderful. All I'm saying is a healthy subconcious is a balanced subconcious.

No need to be patronizing, either. Your line about multi-colored elephants is complete BS. The reality is BALANCE. A subconcious without balance is fairy-tale-istic. It's like baking cookies with out that needed little pinch of salt. You need balance!

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

There's nothing wrong with having healthy loving thoughts. That's wonderful. Your arguements entails having no negative thoughts - not so wonderful. All I'm saying is a healthy subconcious is a balanced subconcious.

No need to be patronizing, either. Your line about multi-colored elephants is complete BS. The reality is BALANCE. A subconcious without balance is fairy-tale-istic. It's like baking cookies with out that needed little pinch of salt. You need balance!

I know that... thats what I'M GETTING AT!... holy goodness people..

being healthy IS Balance.... healthy loving thoughts..

Such a shame you hate love so much and love hate so much...

and no it wasn't total BS mentioning the pink elephant.. because its demonstrating how we can over-come our obstacles being realistic about it...
and the truth is.. having more positive than negative is obviously beneficial.. because we cannot always see all of the negative things.. so it would be good to have more positive counter-active subconcious thoughts.. ITS HEALTHIER than to have MORE negative counter-active subconcious thoughts... because thinking ahhh shucks the world got me again, sure is repressive.. and oppressive..

soo now that we've balanced eachother.. I got some negative you got some positive, what do you suppose we do? .. argue some more? exchange some more energy and give up? ... or maybe we could demonstrate what actual balance IS...

mod edit, long quotes

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Such a shame you hate love so much and love hate so much...

No, no, no gentle friend. I never said ANYYTHING about hate. You are the one who keeps bringing it up. It really is quite amusing. I imagine you think I'm making my posts in a complete manical huff. I'm not. I'm actually quite amused at how easily you work yourself up in a tizzy. It's cheap entertainment.

soo now that we've balanced eachother.. I got some negative you got some positive, what do you suppose we do? .. argue some more? exchange some more energy and give up? ... or maybe we could demonstrate what actual balance IS...

And, no, I didn't send any negative vibes out your way. That was strictly your perception to my case. And, no, I didn't receive any positive vibes from you because you're not sending out any. Take a look at what your posts in this thread have consisted of. You're literally jumping up and down in a screaming tantrum.

You want happy, loving thoughts? Knock yourself out. Just don't dismiss the critical side of your inner voice that allows for a healthy balanced mind.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
You can control your thoughts and be thought free. It is quite difficult to do, but thoughts are an activity of the mind just as walking is the activity of the legs. You can choose to walk or not but the legs are still there. I have always been interested in the "ego" and mind. You must not identify with thoughts because you dont own them and they are not you. Who are you before you have a thought? Remember the saying "I think therefore I am" That is not the true self.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join