It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Woes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of people trying to prove that time travel is impossible because they argue that if it were possible, then someone would have traveled here already. I have a couple excellent arguments for them:

1: Our recorded history is such a minuscule speck of nothingness in the grand scheme of time, why would anyone want to visit this boring place?

2: You can't travel back in time. (see argument 3)

3: We need to build a time machine receiver in order to travel backwards in time. Until the receiver is built it will be impossible to do so, and once it is built, you will only be able to travel back as far as when the receiver was made, hence no one has traveled to us.

I think argument 1 is the most plausible, any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
As I said before, It's not really time travel, it;s advancing in to the future with out notice, by the way, we are traveling now in time, every second, next second we will be with one second in to the future, you can't get any faster in to the future, you might think you are getting in to the future faster, but actually you just have a different perception of time, for example when you are sleeping it's like you fall asleep and the next thing you know you woke up and 12 hours have past but in your perception it has past 5 minutes, that's what light speed does also.
When traveling at such speed you lose the perception of time, traveling near the speed of light also puts you on suspended animation, light does not age, it's the only thing that does not age, so speeding near the light speed is like a long nap with out ageing, so the faster you go the slower you age with out even noticing, for you it has passed 5 minutes for others an year but what is interesting to notice is that for you and the others it's the same time.
If they were there to see your departure as you fly away at near light speed from point X to point Z and if every one would put everything on slow motion, they would move in slow motion while you would appear to move normal also your body would be moving faster any turn of the body or simply if you raised your arm would happen faster, you're on fast forward with out noticing it because of the speed , you would not notice it , for you it would appear that you are moving normal as you are in an object traveling near the light speed, is that really time travel? people actually are not left in the past as the events are happening at the same time, only for you it's happening faster with out you even knowing it.
Actuly the same time has passed for you and for them, but because you are travling so fast you lose sence of time and think that your movements are hapening normal while every movement of yours is actuly faster , so time flys for you in a sence of way, but it's not really time travel as in a time machine travling in time.
I remain to the opinion that time travel to the future is not posible, I also don't belive in destiny.
We may call it in a way time travel, after all it gets us fast in to the future , so we think at least in our minds.
Any way none of this is posible in either way, we would desintegrate at such speeds
It's all theoretical, we can't put it in practice.

[edit on 2-12-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think the most convincing argument against the idea of time travel (into the past that is) are the paradoxes that would be involved. For example, it would be impossible to build a time machine in order to change something in the past. If that change were to be made, then the time machine would never have been made and subsequently the change would never have been made. There are plenty of other possible paradoxes as well, and I'm sure you'd go insane if you spent long enough trying to solve them lol.

As for time travel into the future, all you really need is a stasis machine and a very reliable timer.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You cant travel back in time, before the time machine was made.

Say for instance if i built a time machine in the year 2006, and i wanted to go back in time and visit the dinosours, this would be impossible because the time machine itself would not have been in existence before 2006, therefor enabling me to travel back before it was built.

The only way we could go see the dinosours is, if some kind aliens were lend us there machine which they built millions of years ago, therfor allowing us to travel that far back. (thats if aliens exist).

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
#, i just notice someone already explained what i posted lol sorry

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well time machines has to do a lot with functioning with atom, molecules so i wouldn't be so sure that u cant go beyond when the machine was built because its all just a theory a guess well u never know unless you have it infront of you and u sue it. Well first i use to think than time machine can only take u in back in time only things u have memory of wht u did only your life but idk i jus took it out of my head after a while. but w/e. and beliveing that an smart alien race gives us the machine that would be kinda awkward to say because whta it we happen to be the INTELLIGENT RACE what if all the others who exists are dumber then wht we thaught. HUH!!

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I would suggest two possibilities:

1.) Time Travel is possible, but not with a "vehicle" like a time machine.

2.) Anyone could have visited the past at any point without our noticing.

If I am to understand the prevailing math correctly, in order to travel backwards in time, one must travel faster than light. In order to travel faster than light, one must have zero mass. This would make time travel in a "vehicle" impossible, as even a single gram of mass would increase to an infinite amount the closer it got to the speed of light, and the more mass an object has, the more energy it takes to increase its speed. This is the main idea why people believe FTL travel to be "impossible".

However, if something has zero mass, and takes up zero space, then it should be possible to achieve a speed faster than light. So what has no mass and takes up no space? Wave patterns, such as electromagnetic fields (EMFs). And, coincidentally, EMFs travel at the speed of light. If you want to send an EMF backward in time, all you have to do is figure out how to speed an EMF up and figure out a way to "aim" it.

Thus, if human consciousness were able to be completely converted to a wave pattern (a literal Out of Body Experience), and that wave pattern somehow broadcast faster than a normal EMF, you would have human capacity to go back in time, but only to observe, and probably not to return, and almost certainly not to interact.

Now... all that aside, even if one were to somehow figure out how to make a De Lorean go back in time, there is a HUGE problem of the Earth's position. This is what a lot of Sci-Fi writers fail to take into account.

If you were to try and travel back in time, just ONE SECOND you would either find yourself 30 km above the ground, or 30 km below it, because the Earth travels through space at 30 km/second.

Add to that the problem of Earth's wobble, orbital eccentricity, and the slow degradation of our orbit around the sun, and you have a logistical nightmare in finding just the right XYZ coordinates, much less the correct time coordinates.

Anyway, point being is that lots of people could have tried and even succeeded in travelling back in time, and we'd never know because they either ended up buried miles below the surface of the Earth, or ended up hurtling off into space as just another random object, and even if they did get everything just right, the chances are really high that they could only visit the past in wave-form.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
perhaps developing a way to allow our consciousness to re-manifest in previous incarnations? but even theoretically this presents a whole slew of new problems.

new topics

top topics

join