It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah's an "Oreo", Says Rapper 50 Cent

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wow! I can't believe how this thread took off!
(even though most of it is off-topic - Thanks for starting another thread, Raso)

karby, FF, I'm with you.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Maybe this is what he means
From O
Not really articles made to cater to the average black family, wouldn't you agree?

Why not? And I'm white and they don't cater to me, either. In fact, I'm a middle aged white woman and her stuff doesn't cater to me. What's the deal? Does the fact that Oprah's black mean that she should "cater" to black folk? What types of articles should be in her magazine? Who says she should cater exclusively to her own race?

What about this article about Chris Rock's wife?

And how about this one? A Closet Grows in Brooklyn about a black woman and her closet space...

Not black enough for you?

If you look into what she has done over the years and is doing, you'll see that she doesn't cater to any color, and for that I respect her more than I can say. What I don't understand is this idea that because she's black, she should cater to black people and if she doesn't cater exclusively to black people, it's ok to call her an oreo because she's sold out the the white man or some #.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Nevertheless, the question is whether Oprah is an Oreo. I may not be a fan of 50, but I'm also no fan of Oprah, and can see what he means.

Well, then tell me. That was my question. Showing me that she has some hoidy-toidy subjects in her magazine doesn't really answer my question. What would you be expecting her to have in her magazine? Would you be happier if some of the articles were about how to get off crack? Maybe where to go to get welfare for that 5th child? I know that sounds racist, but it's just as racist as saying that planning a nice dinner party isn't "catered" to the black woman. Think about it.

You have voted benevolent tyrant for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
Grimreaper, it is the music that I can't stand and the depraved lifestyle of rot music. They are a bunch of loud-foul-mouthed goons in clown clothes that are barely clinging to them. They are disgusting lowlifes...poison to the eyes and ears.

yet I show you something where its not foul mouthed or anything like that, and you still refuse it simply because its rap. Had it been lyrics to a rock song would that suddenly have made them good and worthy?

you REFUSE to look passed what you see on MTV so I don't see how you could possibly make any conclusions unless your jumping to conclusions and embracing that type of ignorance.

I know rappers that don't dress up in the gangster clothes.

Is mainstream rap music disgusting, yes? If you were to say "rap music on TV is disgusting and poison" I would agree 100%. I think the mainstream music of hip hop and rap embraces ignorance, violence, and overall lack of thought.
Does that represent all rap music? no.

Its called stereotyping, I thought we were past this.

I rap, those kids that like new rap like it, but its not like new rap at all. I have never once said anything about "b*tches and hos" spreading violence, and I wear blue jeans that never go below my waist, a gray tshirt, a blue sweat shirt hoodie, and a camo baseball cap. Most people see my and think I'm probably a redneck. But I can rap, and its even a reason Im in this fine and performing arts school now.

My music is different then what you hear on the radio, but still appealing, and I'm proud of that whether I make a million dollars or not. I take offense that you call rappers lowlifes, because I am one, and I am hardly a lowlife. I don't go committing crimes, and I get by in school with decent grade. I'm pretty smart and I use rapping as a way to show it. I grew up on the poorer side and grew up listening to rap.

So I take it as a personal insult when you make these comments.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hey, guys? Could you please start another thread to argue whether or not rap deserves respect or something? That's NOT what this one is about.

Thanks.

Love ya! Mean it!

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Yikes, how many schools for girls in Africa has fity cent built?

Stirring the pot, without making any real contribution to the issues.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I would've thought that Oprah offers inspiration to a lot of black females, especially younger ones, that hard work and persistence pays off.
I view Oprah as a fully integrated woman who understands and sympathises with
abuses from the past, (as in her movie roles) but who lives in the here and the NOW and
gets on with life and encourages others to do the same.
She doesnt play the victim role, is a strong independent woman and I respect her totally for that. I think its something that reverberates with women of any colour.

Its just my opinion, but I think Oprah has modelled herself on Nelson Mandella.
And is trying her best to cut through BS, knock down walls and make the world a better place.

Love or loathe her, at least she is out there living her philosophy.

the Oreo insult is racist and demeaning.
I hope he cops as much flak as Kramer did and his career is over.
He would deserve it for taking a verbal swipe at a woman (how cowardly)
I would put his value at a lot less than his stage name.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
He said what he said because she hurt his precious ego by refusing to glorify him and what he represents, that is all there is to it IMO.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Im curious, what music do you listen to SkyWay

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with oreo cookies as long as I got some milk.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
Im curious, what music do you listen to SkyWay

I find pieces of music that I enjoy listening to in almost every genre. The ones that do not appeal to me are rap music and opera. Both give me headaches.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I know a white girl who is white on the outside but acts black. Does that require a nickname named after a cookie?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thank you, wildcat. This is my whole point, really. Why do so many of the black community feel that anyone black who 'makes it' in this country must make a 'black statement' with their success else be called cookie names? Or be accused of selling out or turning their back on the black community. Being successful is the American Dream. When a black person achieves it, I'd think black people would be happy and celebrate their success, but many times they are the first to attack the success of the black person as not being 'black' enough or something. It's very confusing to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildcat
I know a white girl who is white on the outside but acts black. Does that require a nickname named after a cookie?

I believe they call those people Pepperidge Farms Milanos if I'm not mistaken. A much higher class of cookie.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Which black makes up this slang anyway? Or is it embedded into their genes?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sky you have to stop calling the rappers 'rot singers'. it is really judge mental. Now I don't listen to that much rap, I mostly enjoy hip-hop and rock (strange mix I know) But some rap is decent and good. Most artists sing from their heart. Before calling them rot singers, you should listen to some of their music. Not all of their songs sing about 'B*tches and H*es' Runnin' by Tupac, Faith by Twista ect. all very good songs. And rappers are the only artists who have the guts to say what they want, when they want, where they want. I know what 50 Cent said was bad....But that is not the only person that has said something like that. If it was a normal American who said that, it wouldn't've made headlines, hell we wouldn't even be talking about this. But point is, we shouldn't get mad at him. Sky, yes calling a Oprah an oreo is wrong, but calling all rappers rot singers is even worst!

We shouldn't even have a thread for this...Heck, why not have a thread for every person that ever called someone a 'cracker' or any sort of freakin' cookie???? Who gives a damn what he called her, get over it's done! Sorry if I am harsh. But that's just reality. Don't go crazy because a famous man got upset and called someone a certain somethiing, BECAUSE WE ALL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rest my case.

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I miss the ol 'honkey' I always wondered if it meant a cross between a hog and a donkey.

Ex

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

LMAO @ The Thread

A Honkey = the way white folks talk, through their noses

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The origin of Honky
www.straightdope.com...

Dear Cecil:

Your tireless research into etymology is to be applauded. The word I want you to trace for me is "honky"--where does it come from and how long has it been in use? --David J., Paris, France

PS: I love your books. The only thing wrong with living in France is that I can't get your column or barbecue potato chips.

Dear David:

I like a man who's got his priorities straight. Honky comes from bohunk and hunky, derogatory terms for Bohemian, Hungarian, and Polish immigrants that came into use around the turn of the century. According to Robert Hendrickson, author of the Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, black workers in Chicago meat-packing plants picked up the term from white workers and began applying it indiscriminately to all Caucasians. Probably thought they all looked alike.
ANOTHER SOURCE FOR HONKY

Dear Cecil:

Your source for the origin of honky only gave you half the story. Another probable etymon for honky, cited by David Dalby in his "African Element in American English" (to be found in my Rappin' and Stylin' Out: Communication in Urban Black America) is the Wolof term honq, "red, pink," a term frequently used in to describe white men in African languages. --Tom Kochman, professor of communication, University of Illinois at Chicago

--CECIL ADAMS

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
why does this "diss" make the ny post and not other various "disses," and even death threats, that rappers "spit" at each other daily???

is it because 50 cent poked fun at oprah???

hmmm...

[edit on 4-12-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
oreos are awesome, I could probably eat fidy billion of them.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Hiya, BH! First of all, let me just say, I'm not a fan of Oprah or Fifty. She irritates me; he disgusts me.

That said, I suspect that the quote was taken out of context and that he had probably explained (a little) what he meant. A lot of rappers are becoming increasingly offended by what appears to be her aversion to them. I don't watch the show, so I wouldn't know, but for the past few months I've been hearing about this.

She claims not to dislike rappers; she dislikes their objectification of and total disrespect for black women.

I can't really disagree with her. As a member of the 'hip hop generation' and a budding feminist, I'm struggling with that myself.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join