It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vegetarians I dont get it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm with you there. I won't eat crabs or lobster. Spiders and giant louses of the sea. YEACHHHH!! I suppose they do taste alright, but spiders should taste similar. Howcome we don't eat those more often then when it's in our sleep.

I think there are sources for the B vitamins outside animal product, thay are just not as easy to get and more expensive to extract. So most vitamins use animal product for it.
And most vegans are probably inadvertantly ingesting animal product.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Seaweed and yeast are vegan sources of vitamin B12. I am not a vegetarian, but I try and limit my meat consumption. Nobody likes a steak, a nice burger, or lamb like yours truly, but eating a lot of meat is bad for your health. Eating meat is like drinking alcohol, the healthiest people consume it in moderation, but if you are not going to consume it in moderation, you should not consume it at all.

Edn

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
hotpinkurinalmint the same argument can be said for absolutely everything. Nothing is good for you if you have to much of it or not enough of it.

For the people who don't eat meat because of the way animals are treated why don't you eat meat from reliable sources? that is what I try do do, I try to get most meat from my local farms because I know exactly how the animals have lived there lifes and how they have been treated.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Human beings are omnivores (not carnivores as some people have suggested), we are evolved to thrive best of a large variety of foods in our diet.

However, i can see why some people may want to become vegetarians for a variety of reasons (although i do not nesarsarily agree with the logic of some arguements i.e. "animals have the right to live"- if we stopped eating meat, then thousands of breeds of semi domesticated animals would go extinct since we would no longer have any use for them).

I eat meat, but i don't just eat any meat. I am very much against battery, intensive, barn range or 0 grazing farming etc for reasons concerning morality. Many people have no idea how barbaric these methods are including all the practices that lie within them, and it is because of these methods that we have such a vast amount of cheap animal products.
However i do not agree with causing animals great suffering due to bad farming practices just to create cheap animal products- i would rather pay more money for good quality animal products any day than less money for some animal that has lead a life of constant suffering.

I don't think it is wrong to eat meat- in fact, i have nothing against it, and i believe that it is normal and natural for us to do so, and has an important place in our society. However i don't agree with the above mentioned farming methods and the consuming of their products as they are barbaric and unesarsary. Slaughterhouse proceedure is also very important, i think people should take the care to kill the animal as efficiently and humanely as posible. If you eat food from places like KFC or Burger King, you are quite literally saying "i think there is nothing wrong with food produced this way" by your actions. If you wouldn't keep a pig (which intelligence wise is on the same level as dogs or even more) in a cage so small that it could not even turn around and was forced to stand in its own excrement all day, then don't eat this sort of food.

I strongly recommend watching the video pictured in this link called "Meet your meat", it shows filmed evidence of what goes on in a lot of these immoral farms;

www.goveg.com...

I don't believe that you have to give up meat to live a much more morally correct food lifestyle, there are thousands of farms that concentrate on offering a far better quality of life towards their animals- all you have to do is to make the choice to stop buying one and start buying the other instead.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Tokis Phoenix]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
If god did not want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Hey, I'm higher up on the food chain, what can I say.............

I sooo agree with this..Meat good! I have a vegan friend, he just recently became this way. I feel bad becuase I do an insert foot in mouth. He'll ask how my day was and I go "oh man we had this kick a** BBQ...uhh dinner was good". Ugh...But he knows i like meat and I dont judge him on it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Meat. Yum.

The one thing that's always puzzled me about people who say that people shouldn't eat meat because we weren't made to eat it (I have actually been told this by people) is that they still buy facon (fake bacon) and tofurkey (tofu turkey).

They say they like the texture and taste. Why not just eat the meat? It tastes better. If people weren't meant to eat meat, then why crave a meat substitute?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tokis Phoenix
I am very much against battery, intensive, barn range or 0 grazing farming etc for reasons concerning morality. Many people have no idea how barbaric these methods are including all the practices that lie within them, and it is because of these methods that we have such a vast amount of cheap animal products.
However i do not agree with causing animals great suffering due to bad farming practices just to create cheap animal products- i would rather pay more money for good quality animal products any day than less money for some animal that has lead a life of constant suffering.

I don't think it is wrong to eat meat- in fact, i have nothing against it, and i believe that it is normal and natural for us to do so, and has an important place in our society. However i don't agree with the above mentioned farming methods and the consuming of their products as they are barbaric and unesarsary. Slaughterhouse proceedure is also very important, i think people should take the care to kill the animal as efficiently and humanely as posible. If you eat food from places like KFC or Burger King, you are quite literally saying "i think there is nothing wrong with food produced this way" by your actions. If you wouldn't keep a pig (which intelligence wise is on the same level as dogs or even more) in a cage so small that it could not even turn around and was forced to stand in its own excrement all day, then don't eat this sort of food.

I could not have said it ANY better! :shk:

I've been a vegitarian for almost a decade but if I went back to eating meat it would be ONLY very carefully selected free range stuff.

While I don't have a problem with the "conscious" ominivorous outlook described above, I have a hard time seeing myself eating animals. Pigs, cows, even chickens are all incredible animals and I'm too much in awe of how cool they are to want to eat them. I wouldn't eat a dog. I wouldn't eat a cat. Why would I eat a pig?

Humans seem to view themselves as "above" animals. Should not our compassion (for them and for our own kind) also be on a higher plane?

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Meat. Yum.

The one thing that's always puzzled me about people who say that people shouldn't eat meat because we weren't made to eat it (I have actually been told this by people) is that they still buy facon (fake bacon) and tofurkey (tofu turkey).

They say they like the texture and taste. Why not just eat the meat? It tastes better. If people weren't meant to eat meat, then why crave a meat substitute?

Not that I really buy into the idea that people weren't made to eat ANY meat- I do think the human body functions eating much less than many Westerners do- but...

Many people who choose a vegetarian diet (for whatever reason) grew up eating certain things- a breakfast with a side of bacon, sauerkraut and sausage, meatloaf, whatever. For instance I have very fond memories of my Grandmother making wonderful breakfasts with waffles, orange juice, and bacon. And so occasionally I make the same and it takes me back and makes me smile. Similarly, I really like a certain casserole that my Mom used to make, one that features ground beef rather prominently. I now make my own version with a "ground round" substitute and it's a really popular among vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. But it would be weird and hard to make without the fake meat.

Seems pretty easy to understant to me...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Meat. Yum.

I wondered that, too, before becoming a vegetarian myself. For the most part, I quit eating meat for health reasons, and never disliked the taste or textures of meats. Alternatively, just because you dislike the idea of eating animals does not mean you never liked the taste of them to begin with. Vegetarianism and mock-meat products serve as a compromise - not (necessarily) partaking in the cruelty and slaughter of animals, while still being able to consume like products that may be guilt free and taste good/similar to the meat products they've given up.

So why not just eat the meat? Health reasons. Ethical reasons. As for someone believing humans aren't meant to eat meat while consuming meat substitutes... well, they're not being hypocritical... afterall, it's a meat substitute and not meat.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tokis Phoenix
Human beings are omnivores (not carnivores as some people have suggested), we are evolved to thrive best of a large variety of foods in our diet.

However, i can see why some people may want to become vegetarians for a variety of reasons (although i do not nesarsarily agree with the logic of some arguements i.e. "animals have the right to live"- if we stopped eating meat, then thousands of breeds of semi domesticated animals would go extinct since we would no longer have any use for them).

I eat meat, but i don't just eat any meat. I am very much against battery, intensive, barn range or 0 grazing farming etc for reasons concerning morality. Many people have no idea how barbaric these methods are including all the practices that lie within them, and it is because of these methods that we have such a vast amount of cheap animal products.

I don't believe that you have to give up meat to live a much more morally correct food lifestyle, there are thousands of farms that concentrate on offering a far better quality of life towards their animals- all you have to do is to make the choice to stop buying one and start buying the other instead.

This is exactly how I feel on the subject.

I am not a vegetarian, though I wouldn't eat an animal that had been tortured and brutally murdered. Hell, if you're going to take the animals life and then eat its body, at least have the decency to give it a normal and enoyable life beforehand, just out of respect.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
There's absolutely NO way I could ever become a vegetarian, or God forbid a vegan.

I truly can't eat a meal without some meat, or at the very least some eggs and/or cheese (and only very rarely at that).

I do feel sorry for the animals, and if it was up to me they'd be kept in the most wonderfully humane conditions for their entire lives. But that doesn't change the fact that in the end I do want them slaughtered for meat.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I had to breakup with my last girlfriend because she was a vegetarian. I just coudln't take it anymore. She liked the taste of meat, but wouldn't eat it for ethically reason. Every time we went out to eat we always got into a disagreement about meat as a food source.

It also probably didn't help that I'm in the drug discovery field and use animals for research.

Edn

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
It also probably didn't help that I'm in the drug discovery field and use animals for research.
That brings up a point, ive seen a few vegetarians that don't eat meat because of the conditions the animals are kept in but there perfectly fine with wearing makeup or using drugs that other animals have been used as test subjects for.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
That brings up a point, ive seen a few vegetarians that don't eat meat because of the conditions the animals are kept in but there perfectly fine with wearing makeup or using drugs that other animals have been used as test subjects for.

Your very right. I am waiting for the day that our Hep C drug becomes available, hopefully 2009 or 2010. Right now it is in clinicial trials. One of the biggest PETA idiots is Pamela Anderson, she is so far out there she will refuse to work in any movie with animals. She also has Hep C, and there is not doubt in my mind that she will be a hypocrite and choose a cure.

That's if our drug gets approved.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Eating meat is a natural thing for carnivores, some may argue that raping females during the mating season is natural too, but does that make it "morally" right?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
im just over it with the meat thing...like i agree with that weighed down feeling..i noticed a change when i stopped red meat only then totally stopped eating anything that runs on land haha i do eat sea food though mostlybeacause i feel the ocean is where it's at..people have been fishing forever..and fish dont make noise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join