It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vegetarians I dont get it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Edn

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It may just be me but I cant see why someone would become a vegetarian or vegan, however this is probably due to my views on the world I don't regard plants any different than animals the both live, die, reproduce and feel(to a certain degree).

I can see why some people may wish to become a vegetarian because of the amount of animals the get mistreated and mass slaughtered in a dark little warehouse but its not that hard to get some decent meat from a local butcher.

So I'm just wondering why any vegetarian's here are vegetarian? it it the mistreatment of animals, you regard animals higher than plants or something else?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'm not a vegitarian because I like the taste of meat so much, but my sister is one, for health reasons. However, she does eat fish. Vegies who do it for moral reasons tend to be very hypocritical, except for the vegans, who I think are absolutely nuts.

So, in short, I don't get it either.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Vegans are just plain nuts. Have you heard of the Raw movement? They're the vegans who won't even cook their veggies. It's just sad!

Anyway, saw a bumper sticker the other day:
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Vegans are just plain nuts. Have you heard of the Raw movement? They're the vegans who won't even cook their veggies. It's just sad!

A very good friend of mine is a raw foodist (what he calls it) hes also wont sleep in beds.

As for peopel not eating meat, everyone has different reasons, health, morols, a big one I have heard of is political, they dont eat meat because of how farmers are treated, I dont remember it exactly but allot of people I met this summer do it for politicle reasons.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If god did not want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Hey, I'm higher up on the food chain, what can I say.............

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hippies and Anarchists (most of the vegies that I know) have a tendancy to fall into the category because they feel a need to fit in somewhere. Then they justify it after the fact.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
"With all the food processing, preservatives and additives, turns out Mark Foley's penis is the healthiest thing to put in your body." - Bill Maher lol

Lol - Peta: People eating animals.

I don't eat alot of it, but meat every now and then is a real treat. lol It's unfortunate the meat industry makes virtual criminals of its consumers. All that grain could feed the hungry of the world. The rain-forests in the Amazon are being stripped and the indigenous people being killed off, so they can export beef to the fast food industry. Out of whack. Not to mention the refusal to test every cow for bovine encephalopathy. Japan tested every cow from 1998 or 9 to 2005 (approximately), they're now testing fewer of them. In that time they confirmed at least 21 cases. What's the comparative in numbers I wonder.

Many cultures recognize the spirit of the animal and the spirit put into cooking as important as the nutritious make-up of the meal.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm a vegetarian.

It's not because I'm a hippy, and no more than 1/4 anarchist and honestly, it's not really a protest against factory farming and animal cruelty, either. About half of the meat I was eating was killed by my family, so I knew where it was coming from, what was going into it and how it was killed, so ethical issues weren't a huge concern. I disagree strongly with the tactics of the most vocal of animal rights groups, PETA, and dislike very much the sort of moral superiority that they espouse.

I stopped eating meat because I was eating far too much meat, I think, and wanted a change in my diet to see how it would change how I feel health-wise. I don't miss eating meat, I'm happily content with my grains (quinoa in particular), legumes, fruits, veggies and a moderate amount of soy products.

I feel great, I've lost weight, I'm satisfied with what I eat, and my diet is overall more healthy.

So, overall, my reason would be for my health.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
I feel great, I've lost weight, I'm satisfied with what I eat, and my diet is overall more healthy.

So, overall, my reason would be for my health.

Cool,

Do you incorperate fish into your diet at all?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm a vegetarian because I feel ALL mammals have a right to live, not just the human mammals. There is such an array of food sources the only reason one eats animal flesh is because one likes the taste. How self-serving and ignorant that is. :shk:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. Im a vegetarian because I hate plants.

Anyway... I eat anything. I'm still classified as "clinically underweight.":shk:

Originally posted by pshkwamy
A very good friend of mine is a raw foodist (what he calls it) hes also wont sleep in beds.

I tried that for a while. Sleeping without a bed, that is. I decided that regardless of what the facts are supposed to be, my back was worse off. So I went back to using a bed.

Originally posted by Jade Bridge
There is such an array of food sources the only reason one eats animal flesh is because one likes the taste. How self-serving and ignorant that is.

Agh. I don't see how it can be selfish.
Requirement. Not all people live in a place where many types of food are avaliable or even sufficient.
Biological. You can't lecture a carnivore about why it shouldn't eat meat. Humans are no different.
Morality. A personal code. A vegetarian has no right to force a non-vegetarian to not eat meat. Visa-Versa applies.
Ethics. See above.
Religious. Enough said.
Will. This is where your coming from. You shouldn't force your will on another animal, right? Well that's the beauty of it. Carnivourus acts are vital, regardless of where you are on the food chain.
Look at it this way:
If there were no predators, then All animals would eat vegetation.
If all animals ate vegetation, then overgrazing would occur.
If overgrazing occurs then there would be no vegetation left or avaliable to eat.
Thus you, your species, and all other species' would die out.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Do you incorperate fish into your diet at all?

No, no fish.

I try to avoid dairy as much as possible, but its hard because I absolutely adore cheese and yogurt, and veggies and vegans can say what they want, but soy or other cheese and yogurt alternatives are disgusting. I do avoid milk completely, though, can't bring myself to drink it.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I stopped eating meat for a while to see if it would help my weight problem. It did, I ended up losing about 25 pounds. Of course I couldn't stay away from meat, so I am an omnivore again.

I am kind of tired of the "animals have a right to live" defense. I mean, yeah of course they do. However, eating meat is a natural thing for both humans, carnivorous animals AND even some plants. I feel that it's part of the food chain and the circle of life. Many animals also eat meat. If you say "well that doesn't count because animals can't feel or reason", well then I feel that you are not a true animal lover.

The late astrologer and guru Linda Goodman actually wrote in her "Star Signs" book in the defense that animals also eat meat that animals weren't carnivorous until humans came along and made them that way.

Now what do you think of that?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I agree with everybody who agrees with me.

Eat Meat!

RAW MEAT if you can handle it!

Just EAT!

MEAT!

Have I mentioned that meat rules?

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Unrealised]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
where do Vegans get vitamin b6 and b12 from. Isn't hard to get it, although possible, from non-animal products. Curious cause I don't know.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

where do Vegans get vitamin b6 and b12 from. Isn't hard to get it, although possible, from non-animal products. Curious cause I don't know.

I could be wrong, but my guess is vitamin supplements made especially for vegans.

I'm a vegitarian for no other reason than I didn't like that heavy weighed down feeling I got after eating meat.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
As long as the vitamin supplement isn't made from animal products, then they're good I guess.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
yeah thats what I'm getting at though. Most like 90 percent of the vitamins use animal product as the source of those b vitamins. DO hardcore vegans know this? or are they inadvertantly ingesting animal product?

Some companies probably do manufacture stricktly vegan pills and I'm sure some vegans know which ones to buy. So I'm curious as to how they approach this.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm curious how they are able to extract or replicate the B vitamins without using animals. If anyone knows this, please let us know. I know that B vitamins are used for protecting, repairing nerve cells. I wonder if in about 60 years we will have former vegans suffering from nerve damage and stuff. Well at least it's better than people being wheeled out of McDonalds in 5 years of chest pains and shortness of breath.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
The late astrologer and guru Linda Goodman actually wrote in her "Star Signs" book in the defense that animals also eat meat that animals weren't carnivorous until humans came along and made them that way.

Humans made animals carnivorous? Now that's just silly. I suppose people were telling T-Rex to hunt Gallimimus

I don't get vegans who are vegans for moral reasons either. But I do like vegetarian food. I have no problems eating vegetarian prawn but I don't like the real thing... in fact I don't eat most water bugs. Anything with an exoskeleton or just one hard bone inside and plenty of limbs is a bug to me. Yeah, only crabs, and only after it's been processed and turned into little balls.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by Beachcoma]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join