It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find first known human ritual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Great find.

(MSNBC)-A startling discovery of 70,000-year-old artifacts and a python's head carved of stone appears to represent the first known human rituals.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Scientists had thought human intelligence had not evolved the capacity to perform group rituals until perhaps 40,000 years ago. www.msnbc.msn.com...

But inside a cave in remote hills in Kalahari Desert of Botswana, archeologists found the stone snake that was carved long ago. It is as tall as a man and 20 feet long.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

More significant, when Coulson and her colleagues dug a test pit near they stone figure, they found spearheads made of stone that had to have been brought to the cave from hundreds of miles away. The spearheads were burned in what only could be described as some sort of ritual, the scientists conclude.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

"Our find means that humans were more organized and had the capacity for abstract thinking at a much earlier point in history than we have previously assumed," Coulson said. "All of the indications suggest that Tsodilo has been known to mankind for almost 100,000 years as a very special place in the pre-historic landscape."
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Yet another surprise

The scientists found a secret chamber behind the python carving. Worn areas indicate it's been used over the years.

"The shaman, who is still a very important person in San culture, could have kept himself hidden in that secret chamber," Coulson explained. "He would have had a good view of the inside of the cave while remaining hidden himself. When he spoke from his hiding place, it could have seemed as if the voice came from the snake itself. The shaman would have been able to control everything. It was perfect.”
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
GREAT find! I'll look to see what else has been found out about this site.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Can anyone combine this post with the earlier post www.abovetopsecret.com... would be great thanks!

[edit on 30-11-2006 by CasualOne]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I like the serpent carving. I would date it within the last 6,000 years.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I like the serpent carving. I would date it within the last 6,000 years

is that because your version of the world is based on Bishop Ushers chronology ?
lol

new topics

top topics

join