It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Dune Fields - like no other

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Victoria Crater

This is one example of the unique and neigh impossible dune features on Mars. Martian dunes are like no other in the universe and are hard to understand because no process to form them has been agreed upon or even observed.

My theory is that the Martian atmosphere goes through periods of low and high pressures (relatively) and so during high pressures the wind patters form the larger dune features and during the low pressures the wind patterns form the smaller dune features.

This doesn't fully explain everything however including how different compositions of dunes form different pattersn in the same geographic space.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
That is interesting. As far as I know Mars does have very fast winds but due to the lower pressure they actually aren't that strong. However considering the vast dust storms that cover Mars from time to time is it that mysterious that large sand dunes could form? Of-course, I'm not formally educated on the matter (more of a hobby) so I don't think I'm qualified to accurately judge the power of Mars' weather.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Great picture, seen it but not this close up. Makes you want to land there and find eveything out its very GOOGLE Mars have they made that yet I wonder?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I can't tell if you're serious or not, but I'll bite: the crater was visited by Opportunity recently.

marsrovers.nasa.gov...

Also check out the other last few images here:
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What do you mean if I'm serious or not? I simply couldn't find a more better picture of any dune field though they are out there and show similar features.

Actually Martian winds have not been observed to be nearly as fast as once thought.

top topics

join