It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heres my weight loss story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
hi.
about 4 years ago i went to the doctor at the age of 27 and 307 pounds. I am a 6'4" dude. i have always been the biggest. biggest isnt fattest. i was weight training from 12 to 16 years of age. i got the nickname Donk in highschool from the crocodile dundee movie.

as of this morning, i am at 230. the wieght i was when i 18. i know i need to get to 205-215 but im getting so close now and the change in me emotionally and physically has been amazing.

I used to think everyday "tomorrow, i will start to lose all this weight" tomorrow never came and the years passed and i got fatter and fatter. we were having my daughters 4th birthday party and someone took a picture of me while i was leaniing against the wall with one arm up and my gut was hanging out from under my shirt.

thats when i went to the doctor and asked him my options. he put me on meridia and over 10 months i went down to 260. i felt awesome! i was doing pushups and working out using my own weight as resistance. everything was cool.

a couple years later, which was early this year, i found myself coming up to 275 pounds.

i went back to the doctor and got another prescription for meridia. for me. its not what i eat. its how much of it i eat. i eat healthy. i drink pop. i dont do sugar or salt. and many other little things.

so i decided to make the conscious decision to make the change as said "screw this. being fat makes me angry. i want to do it now. i dont want to be 35 or 40 thinking that i should start losing weight"

i hit it hard. i count calories and also track every meal and every days excersise and i weigh in on sat mornings.

if i miss a day of working out its right there staring me in the face. no X in the spot means i better get my ass in gear or i am going to let myself down. this was the trick for me. this little tracker spread sheet is my savior. now i excersize just so i can see the spots fill in! lol! and i stop just to X them out.

another 15-25 pounds and i am done. then its maintain and learn to eat without meridia. i have been re learning my habits so i dont need it. need is the wrong word but it has helped me change my eating. it turns out i have a slow metabolism and i just dont need the calories that most people need.

thanks for reading this.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yea, your story is just further proof that it just takes dedication and hard work to get your body how you want it to be. I know some people who used to be incredibly fat, and thought maybe it was just genetics...but no, a friend of mine who was over 300 finally decided to stop eating junk, and start working out, and the weight just came pouring off. He literally looked like a new person when I saw him again after not having hung out with him in a while. I think he now weighs around 180, and looks completely normal, never like he was fat at all.

On the other hand, I know some people who just say "oh, yea, I should start going to the gym sometime" over and over, and yet never do it. Or if they do try, then they half ass it, don't get results, and quit because they decide that it's impossible for them to lose weight. It just comes down to having the right work ethic to getting it done. When I work out, I constantly tell myself "You better keep running this pace for 3 more miles, or you're worthless, any pussy can run another 3 miles now, keep going", or I think about how every challenge to my body only makes me stronger. You need to find the motivation.

There are no "secrets" of weight loss...anyone can lose or gain weight by changing their diet and exercise. No matter how bad your genetics are, you can do it...it just comes down to will power, and desire to change. If not for your physical looks, at least for your health. However hard or painful a workout may be, it will not kill you, and it will only improve your body, mind, and spirit. It's not a problem of "can" you do it, it's a problem of not wanting to do it. And if your workout sucks, just remember that it's only one hour or so out of your day, and you can sit on your ass the rest of the day if you want...but you better do that workout with some guts, and realize you wouldn't be doing anything more useful at that time anyway.

The more it hurts, the stronger and better you become. Good luck.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by Shoktek]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Man I wish I had your drive brother. I was in my "peak" in the service and have really let myself go in a year. Realistically I only need to lose about 10-15 lbs. but I have'nt the motivation. The freedom to drink beers at will again have taken their toll :w: and now I'm kinda looking like a "before" picture.

I have been watching "Biggest Loser" lately, (honestly at first as comedic entertainment, and Kim Lyons is super hot) but I realized that these people are really cast from the same stone as I once was in boot camp. 100% dedication and determination get you to any goal which you set your mind to. Although I am not as "big" as those on that show, I watch now for inspiration, because man the results are incredible !! And congrats to you too, you are on your way to a healthier and happier lifestyle, not neccesarily cosmetically but more so emotionally.

Keep with it !!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You can look up the discovery channel's "bud/s class 234" on youtube and watch the episodes of future navy seals going through training...it's absolutely brutal. Very good motivation though...after I watched it, if I didn't feel like running or lifting or something, I would just tell myself that if those guys can go through that amount of hell, the least I can do is run 4 miles or lift for an hour, thus improving myself anyway.

I've had many problems with dedication at times...for a few months I will be really into it, then I burn out and start to slack off. Especially during the winter months. Although right now I am finally getting to a point of motivation and workout frequency that I am satisfied with...even though I've never been out of shape, or had any weight problem, I just see myself as a pussy or being way too lazy if I am not doing some kind of regular exercise. Plus I want to always be improving myself, and be physically able to meet any challenges life could throw at me.

When that little voice comes in the back of your head telling you to skip your workout, tell the bitch to STFU, and go get some exercise!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
When that little voice comes in the back of your head telling you to skip your workout, tell the bitch to STFU, and go get some exercise!

lol! aint that the truth.

the secret to weight loss is eating less, excersize more. thats it. anyone has the power to change themselves, they just need to make the conscious decision to do so.

calories in < calories out = happy you

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I see you are in Canada (or thailand?). You play ice hockey? That's a great way to get a workout, and it's fun so you don't think about it.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I work in Thailand but live in Canada.

I dont play hockey and cant skate at all. i have friends that do though... maybe i should learn or find an active hobby or something.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
i am 5'6" i weighed 230 pounds when last year may of 2006 i decided to get a divorce from a jerk and i started eating right and started excersing and it is now jan. 07 and i am now 150 and i still have 20 pounds to go. but the main thing is i'm healthy and i am looking good these days and i feel great.i don't starve my self and i don't eat red meat any more.but i really don't miss it. so my hat off to you and keep up the good work.

[edit on 18-1-2007 by loverofmoses]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Congrats man, You have worked hard and deserve it, I'm kinda in the same boat now, now that I've started exercising, I can't go a day without it or I feel like crap, or If I eat something real fatty or high in sugar, my body just crashes, once again congrats and keep it up.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing your story, it was very inspiring.

I'm very overweight (but still beautiful :p) and my problem is that I am an emotional eater. I use food to self medicate. However I am working on the things that make me feel the need to do that and hopefully I can tell my own weight loss story soon enough.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I use to eat to hide the pain i was in. But this last year i started dating a great guy and he has managed to help me with a lot of my food issues.i've never been happier and the more exercise i do the better i feel. We do alot of hiking and i love going though caves. Since i have lost the 80 pounds my hips don't hurt anymore and i have alot of energy. I don't drink or smoke any more. and my doctor is amazed at how much i've lost and how good i look. Its not easy. I don'y deny my self anything and if i eat a piece of pizza that just means a little longer on the bunching bag or the bike. keep up the good work everybody.I also cut out all beef red meat and it has made me healthier then ever. you have to do wants good for you. i have a workout partner and it makes it easier.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by loverofmoses]

[edit on 20-1-2007 by loverofmoses]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
When I was in middle school I was fat. I lost weight only because the class freak told me he had worms in him and because his toenails are green and stink (that's true.) I couldn't eat for a month and a half. I skipped breakfast and didn't eat everything on my dinner plate. Thus I lost 35 pounds in almost a month.

That is just one way to loose weight and really fast but it has a downside.

You loose your appetite for the rest of your life and find yourself unable to eat all of your favorite foods. I don't think I am anorexic but I do wish that I didn't have to eat food at all.

You can try it if you want but it's not healthy.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by wildcat]

[edit on 26-1-2007 by wildcat]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thats not a very healthy way to lose wieght.I do all my wieght loss by excerising and eating right. I don't eat red meat anymore and I don't eat sweets.I eat alot of chicken and I drink only green tea. And i'm still losing wieght. I'm in to a 10 and that's good enough for me.

new topics

top topics

join