It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Says Boy Cannot Compete On Girls Squad

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I see this more as a principal thing, he showed that the law has double standards and that it is hypocritical and not equally and fairly applied.

Boys gymnastics are entirely different from girls. The only equipment that is the same for both genders is the vault and floor routine, both of which have different expectations for both genders.

They could make a boy's team with a balance beam, unparallel bars and let them compete against each other. Men and boys have superior body strength and larger cardio-vascular systems.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
ive noticed some people saying that if u put a guy and a girl on the same training regimen that they would directly be able to compete against each other. this is simply not true. Men have far more testosterone which promotes the building of muscle mass. This is why men who take steroids generally develop "breasts" because their body begins to produce even more testosterone to produce muscle, which in turn causes them to create more estrogen to balance it out, which causes the male breasts.

Are there women who can compete with men in some sports? sure. is it a normality? absolutely not.

I will give you a few examples. First.. the NBA vs the WNBA. That should be enough right there... but no I will continue. Look at what has happened to the women who have competed in the men's golf tournaments. They get destroyed. The only way you are going to have really an equal match is if you played something like volleyball maybe?

This is not me being sexist, it's just a fact of the matter, and I think you would find that most women would agree. There's only those very few feminist types who actually believe that crap.

Also for this guy, im sure if there was a guys gymnastics team, there would have been no lawsuit etc etc. But im sure like most schools, there isnt one due to lack of interest. The same reason not every high school has a hockey or lacrosse team, or field hockey. My High school didnt have a Lacrosse team until the year after I left, and it was created by someone in my class, so he didnt even get to play but he got the club made. The hockey team came about when I was a freshman, and the students had to pay to play.

Every high school cannot have every sport, because it costs money and you need to be able to field a reasonable team to even have a chance to have the sport added, and even then its probably only going to be a club sport. I'm sure if that guy had really really wanted to do gymnastics he could have found another school or a local club that had a competitive team.

Also, i saw someone mention female wrestlers on guys teams. Yea I saw a few of those when I wrestled... thank goodness none in my weight class , which probably would have been gross! ( i wrestled 189). But my friend forfeited one of his tournament matches because he refused to wrestle a girl. In fact, in all the matches i've seen with a girl vs a guy in wrestling (prob. close to 30) the girl lost everytime.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance,"

-Title IX

I'm no lawer but i can read and that clearly states that you can not discriminate based on sex. Yet the state is discriminating against a boy on a girls team. That everyone i s calle da double standard adn shows the flaws in the law.

It is absurd that the court struck this down. It had been common place accross the country to enforce this law both ways. Many college girls teams have been cut becuase of the lack of a male team and vice versa.

This isnt and issue of men or women superiority but a question of the law and the law clearly states that it must be equal.

The three choices are
-Let him play on the girls team
-Make a boys team
-Cut the girls team

It is as simple as that and all three of those fall under the law. It cost little to create a gymnastics team. Apparently they already have the facilities to support the girls all you would need is a coach for a boys.

Well thats all of my rant but i would like to note I am totally against Title IX in the areana of sports.

DCP

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
if a girl wants to play on the boys team, she gets an ESPN article

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yeah, there's a definite double standard, but there's nothing you can do about it. Danika Patrick runs with the pack in IRL and you'd think she was a seven time world champion considering all the ink she gets, but all this matters not one whit. A male has no business competing on a girls gymnastics team.

If he can't compete with the men, he needs to find another sport or beef up a little.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think most sports should just be co-ed, and that you simply apply as equal as possible physical requirements. Yes that means a larger woman would be required to play on a football team. Yes that means a male may have to meet a certain size and weight limit in gymnastics. Frankly I would love to play football with some females who can bring it.

[edit on 12/2/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is ATSNN and is held to a higher standard. Please confine comments to this news article to the subject, not snide prepubescent remarks.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If he can't compete with the men, he needs to find another sport or beef up a little.

It isn't a matter of him competing with men. He can't because his school doesn't have a men's team. Title IX has been used as a weapon by the feminist movement to equalize the opportunities for women athletes. I find nothing wrong with this. This guy is trying to use it to help male athletes. I have read a few articles about this and this guy is being a pretty good sport about it. He is out of that school now and is actually acting as an Assistant Coach for the women's team.

This comes down to one thing. Men and women are not equal. There are differences.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think the real problem here is not really about gender.

The real problem is the legal precedent that the school must provide for every student's extra-curricular development.

WHY is the school obligated to provide anything that any student might want?? In OPTIONAL activities?

The real victim here is the league. It's not their fault that one school cannot field a boys' team. Now just try and convince me that a male's presence on one team will not have a negative impact on the whole league's season. Suddenly, it's no longer about sports, it's about gender politics. Lovely.

My school didn't have a pie-eating team. Whose problem is that? The courts? The school which receives federal money? Dammit, git those pies in here for me, you oppressors. And get some girls on my team while you're at it. And bring on the federal dollars as well. Now we can all feel just a little bit more justice-oriented, once I get my pies.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
steroids are just hormones you put in your body, usually testosterone. that is a steroid is usually injected testosterone via a shot. obviously, it decreases recovery time, increases endurance and stimulates muscle growth and fat decrease.

men on average have 20 times the amount of testorone naturally that women do.

so, men are literally like women on steroids.

to the guy that posted about guys on steroids getting man boobs from the extra estrogen the body makes to balance out the hormones, there are things called anti-estrogens that block the estrogen receptor sites i think that most people take in conjunction with steroid cycles to avoid some of the negative effects of estrogen.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join