It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we want/need to believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Now I know that some of you will probably want to slam on this idea right away, but please take a moment to think about it. By the way, I still sit on the fence about the issue of aliens and so on, although I definitley think there is the possibility of intelligent life out there!! That being said;

Why do people seem to want to believe there is something else out there that is among us? Are we a lonely species that is bored with what we already know? Is modern technology just making thew world too mundance to accept anymore...always needing a newer fix?

I just wonder what the, "need", is for this belief system? If you think you have had an encounter then you already have your answer...you weren't searching, it came to you. Otherwise, there seems to be an intense desire to find, "something else". Being that I am a very spiritual person, I do not object to any of the reasons given above, I just want to know what other people's take is on the reason why people are always searching??

As Always, Peace,
Mondo

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Mondo your avatar says it all.

Whats so wrong about wanting to know the truth? I personally cannot stand being lied to. Just think about what all those people would do with the truth.

I really don't think we need to be searching anywhere else but within ourselves. There is so much undiscovered about earth and the human body.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis

I really don't think we need to be searching anywhere else but within ourselves. There is so much undiscovered about earth and the human body.

Very interesting! I like that, and yeah I guess my avatar sure does exemplify that I am curious as well. I just wonder what makes people search so hard when maybe it is right there in front of our eyes!!??

Peace, Mondo

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
I just wonder what the, "need", is for this belief system?

Great question!

What is the "need" for any belief system?

My take on it is that humans are still in a neo-tribal stage and gravitate to groups of what they think are likeminded individuals. Group think. Religion, Cults, political ideology, Rock fans, computer geeks, true believers of anytype just want what all humans want; to feel special, chosen, "in the know", appreciated and loved.

It is a rare man indeed that is comfortable in his own skin and can reject the social dynamic that surrounds him. Usually that man is either a psychopath or holyman or moron or a mixture of the three.

As far as the UFO believers, and Im one of them, I see "HOPE" as the motivation factor here. Sensitive, empathetic people need some sort of excape route from the chaos that is this planet.

Thanks for letting me share!
Peace
Whaaa

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think its a leftover and suppressed instinct from from our ancient and primitive ancestors. We (humans) have always needed some way to explain the world around us. Centuries ago it was natural forces; volcanoes, hurricanes, the appearance of maggots, etc. Things simply had to be explained. Gods, fairies, monsters, magic, and other constructs were often created to explain scary or powerful events.

Eventually, the big, obvious events are explored and explained fairly well. We know the cause of thunderstorms, earthquakes are from 'slippage' between sections of the earth, a volcanic eruption isn't the expression of an 'angry god', requiring a virgin to sacrifice.

Its highly improbable that we've 'explained' everything. Now, very subtle events are occuring to many people, that on the surface, appear to be 'unexplainable'...

We are still animals and we must respond to the same instinctive needs our primitive ancestors did...thus, we seek to explain.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by MrPenny]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Boo,
it is not about belief. If anyone still has second thoughts or any doubt onexistance of extraterrestrial life one must be misinformed, disinformed, or misinpreted the info all around, first I don't count press and media as realiable source, but I count people as reliable source.
I talked to many people about this, and found some stories which couldn't be explained by any type of regular event, so it must be them.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thats the human drive, the longing to learn the unknown the desire to see whats out there. I think thats why we have survived this long. Its the desire to expand and explore that consumes us. If we became stagnant and all of lifes misteries were solved I think you would see the decline and extinction of the human species. We believe because we don't know. We are always looking out for the next big thing.

I am kinda on the fence about aliens myself, I believe that there is other forms of intelegent life out there however I think that if they had come to Earth that they would see us as the alabama of the universe. (no offense to people in alabama) Of course I am kinda suprised that UFO sightings havent decreased sense the onset of the internet. I mean to say that if an intelegent life was checking out the globe they now have a perfect tool to research all sorts of things about mankind. Of course if you were an intelegent being from annother planet what would you think of this species if you gained access to the internet?

The truth is I don't know, but I want to know and I think that is the guiding principal of many who believe in UFOs

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I believe the answer is as follows:

We are spiritual beings, and because of that FACT, we exist simultaneously in several dimensions. The spiritual dimension which we are all connected to contains MUCH more love, peace, knowledge and understanding (at least I'm hoping) than we could ever experience in this physical dimension. And because we exist in the spiritual dimension at the same time we're in our physical bodies, we somehow know on a deep subconscious level about the purity of that dimension. But there's something which prevents us from making the conscious connection. The fact that we are in these physical bodies. In between physical lives I believe the love, knowledge and peace that is experienced is what makes us search for more than what we are limited to experiencing in this physical dimension.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I personally want to believe, because it gives me reassurance that we aren't just a fluke of nature (not including religion). If we are the only life in the infinite universe, what kind of odds are those? I guess it allows us to fell less unique and precious, and put us into a state of denial about the fact that we are responsible for poisoning the most precious thing in the universe; life.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I suppose I will not try and speak for all of those who are 'looking'. Rather, I will try and give some insight into my convictions as they pertain to this question.

I do not want to 'believe' in another form of life within our solar system, galaxy or universe. Furthermore, I do not want to believe that there is not life in our solar system, galaxy or universe. The way I see it I have no choice but to believe that there is both intelligent life besides ourselves and also that there is not intelligent life besides ourselves.

How can this be? Well, it seems to be sort of Schrodinger's Cat type situation. We have no way of observing all planets within this universe and actively seeking out intelligent life forms on these planets. Therefore we must assume that another planet bore a species of beings which evolved to be considered 'intelligent' as we did. And we must also assume that no other planets bore such intelligent life. Without observation of every possible planet both circumstances must be true.

Granted my example is not dealing with what the Schrodinger's Cat illustration attempts to explain (superposition on a sub-atomic level) but it is the best idea which I could use to explain my position.

So in short: I come to ATS and have interest in other forms of life because it is something of interest to me. I do not actively search for and hold a strong, convicted ‘belief’ in these extra terrestrials because, as I stated above, until we can either observe every possible planet or be introduced to these beings face to face on our own…they both exist and do not exist. This is not to say that I do not have an open mind. On the contrary it is to say that my mind is open to the only two possibilities that exist equally.

Besides, why believe in something that does not exist and why hold no belief in something that does exist?

Hope that helped.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Spines,

that was very interesting. At first I had to read and then re-read to get it. Seems almost as if you are speaking on a synergetic level. Exist and not exist, what a paradox?? Are these two portion of your theory mutually inclusive or mutually exclusive, or maybe both now that I take your statement into closer consideration. That whole both and neither thing is easy but then hard to comprehend at the same time.
However, although I think that I get where you are coming from, I am inclined to believe that one or the other is more likely.
I believe the concept of other life to be very plausible. I once read that astrophysicists have extrapolated a mathematical theory that claims that there are more stars in the universe,or multiverse, than there are grains of sand on earth. If that is even remotely true, well then from a mathematical standpoint a person would have to accept the pure probability that there are many many other life forms out there. Then again, that's a theory and as both you and I have seen so many times....there is little to no proof of that so far!

Hope my thought are conveyed correctly to you all, Peace
Mondo

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Spines,

that was very interesting. At first I had to read and then re-read to get it. Seems almost as if you are speaking on a synergetic level. Exist and not exist, what a paradox?? Are these two portion of your theory mutually inclusive or mutually exclusive, or maybe both now that I take your statement into closer consideration. That whole both and neither thing is easy but then hard to comprehend at the same time.
However, although I think that I get where you are coming from, I am inclined to believe that one or the other is more likely.
I believe the concept of other life to be very plausible. I once read that astrophysicists have extrapolated a mathematical theory that claims that there are more stars in the universe,or multiverse, than there are grains of sand on earth. If that is even remotely true, well then from a mathematical standpoint a person would have to accept the pure probability that there are many many other life forms out there. Then again, that's a theory and as both you and I have seen so many times....there is little to no proof of that so far!

Hope my thought are conveyed correctly to you all, Peace
Mondo

Alright, let me try and explain myself a little more clearly. You have the basic idea of what I am saying but there is one statement that I need to dispute --in regards to my statement at least.

When you say that you are "inclined to believe that one or the other is more likely." is when I had an inclination to respond.

I understand that in your interpretation of what I said you believe that one is more likely than the other. I am not disputing that this is your opinion
However, in regards to what I was saying I would just like to clarify what I meant.

In my little mind I am trying to convey that they are both equally possible and are, in fact, both true. Until we can observe every possible planet we can not know if intelligent life exists outside our own blue'ish/green sphere.

Furthermore, I liked the statement you gave about more planets than grains of sand on Earth. It is for reasons such as this (the massive amount of planets that occupy this thing we call our universe) that I feel that we must state that intelligent life both exists and does not at the same time.

With such a vast area for life to evolve we are left with a vast area of 'unknown' in regards to that possible life. Hence we must, in my opinion, assume that it both exists and does not exist in the areas which we can not observe.

Hope that helped and thank you for the jumping point.

[edit on 12/2/0606 by spines]

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Spines,

I think that I am catching your drift and I like that direction as well. However, I am a bit under the weather and this quandry is making my head hurt a bit. How can both exist at the same instant?? For instance, if something is both positive and negative at the same time, then it is neutral...correct? So how can both of the situations that you have proposed happen at the same moment?
Sometimes I get to thinking too hard at a topic that the obvious becomes difficult for me to see, the Ocham's razor style of thing. Maybe I am looking too hard to find your solution acceptible, just give me a little time to throw it around in my head!
I am glad to get some cool feedback on this topic so far, thanks to all who have posted and will post to this!
Peace, Mondo

Ex

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Do I believe in Alien Life........
I also am not sure.
To believe in something to me,
means bringing evidence to the table of inquiry
and then conviction in my belief.
I then ask myself, what evidence would i need.
The fact that our government hides and filters large amounts of money into projects that are most certainly veiled, even , I think from our Presidents.
That there are videos and people who come forward , with no benefit to their testimonies.
That I do NOT want to believe that we are IT!
Human kind stumbling in the dark for answers that seem just out of reach.
As if we were being swept along in a stream that we have no control over?
Do people really want to kill each other for money or land?
Are the Oil companies as well as others controlling our very elected offices??
Wagging The Dog , if u will........

I am on the fence.........but then what earth shattering event would convince me??
They show up on The White House Lawn??
EX

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

How can both exist at the same instant?? For instance, if something is both positive and negative at the same time, then it is neutral...correct? So how can both of the situations that you have proposed happen at the same moment?

Ah, I guess I didn't make that clear. Thats my fault (sometimes I am not good at explaining myself).

Intelligent life both exists and does not exist at the same time because their existence, as far as we are concerened and can observe, is based on just that: observation.

So, like Shrodinger's Cat states in illustrates sub-atomic superposition it also helps to illustrate my point. That point being that unless we are able to observe every inch of the universe (or they come to us) then intelligent life can not be confirmed nor can it be denied. In short: it must both exist and not exist.

I am using the word existence to help illustrate our knowladge of this life. It could still exist whether we scour every inch of the universe...but it also may not exist if we scour every inch of the universe. And until we do such a thing then intelligent life does and does not exist in my belief.

Sometimes I talk in circles. I am sorry if it is hard to understand what my mind is trying to say.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You mention that it cannot be confirmed nor denied. I can totally understand that notion, and it makes a great deal of sense to me as well. You are not talking in circles spines, just in a wee different language than my mind is understanding at the moment.
You have now talked about what you believe, now how about why you believe in it? There must be some reason behind the reason or as they say, " a method to the madness".
I tend to sort of believe that there is this idea that the mundane world that we live in on a day to day basis needs to be spruced up a bit for some people and so the idea of wondering/thinking/hoping for otherwordly life is tantalising!
There's obviously no right or wrong, then again maybe they both exist at the same time
, just playing!

Peace out, Go Cowboys!!!

Mondo

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You have now talked about what you believe, now how about why you believe in it?

Well, I believe that we are --as Carl Sagan would say-- star dust. I know it is not a popular notion as it does not lead one to a positive outlook on an 'after life'. Regardless, that is how I feel; we are a cosmic circumstance bred under a random happening of conditions.

So in short: my 'why' is what it is because we are formed by a cosmic happenstance. There is a infinate --or extremely vast-- number of circumstances which could nourish and evolve other forms of intelligent life on other planets and that is why I believe in them. Whether or not they are visiting us and partaking in elaborate coverup and conspiracy.

Ram

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well - Some people want a new widescreen HD TV..
Some want a free world.

The amount of freedom would be quiet huge - If we turn into a space nation.

The chance that the world will not be as it is now with all these wars and stress related problems in every daily life Would not exist. Or would end.

We could have anything we would like. Freedom is one of them. Freedom to build a world of our own choice. Based on peace.

And so much more.

Just think about it

Heres one short clip to watch fastwalkers

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Ram]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Spines and Ram,

Really good stuff you guys......the freedom idea of it all is very tantalizing indeed!
Spines, you always explain your position very well, and I do respect that of you!

I have posted another thread about alien intelligence and their apprearance/composition ideas.....the idea was to sort of be the piggyback to this thread though. I went with the idea that after somebody discovers, "why", they believe, then they would want to describe, "what" they believe. It's all sort of interconnected in my mind. There were not as many posts to this thread as I had originally hoped but I am still hopeful in the other thread.
Thanks for all of you who have shown interest and may swing over to throw in your 2cents over in the other thread!

Peace, Mondo

top topics

join