It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galactic Baby Boom Influenced Life On Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

www.space.com...
The stellar baby boom period of the Milky Way sparked a flowering and crashing of life here on Earth, a new study suggests.

Some 2.4 billion years ago when the Milky Way started upping its star production, cosmic rays—high-speed atomic particles—started pouring onto our planet, causing instability within the living. Populations of bacteria and algae repeatedly soared and crashed in the oceans.

a new study suggests

Personally I think that suggesting something of that sort is too big for science to even consider.

I do sometimes think that maybe life could've been started by something else besides god because of evolving species in the water. To even think that we came from somewhere else besides the earth is too much for me to handle.

Space is too big for us to be exploring anyway, it's not like we'll ever be able to colonize anything out there anyway. So what do you think? Is this guy insane?

He's even contradicting himself by saying that the particles that were pouring into earth was causing instability within the living. If he's trying to theorize the Galactic Baby Boom into life on earth, why is he already saying there was life before?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Pardon me, but I think you have misunderstood the article you quoted.

It isn't suggesting that life originated in outer space and landed on earth. It suggests that increased cosmic ray activity affected the weather on Earth during certain epochs, creating the conditions for life to evolve on the planet. The 'baby boom' the author talks about is a boom in the number of stars being 'born', not aliens or anything like that.

However, there are people who believe that life came to earth from outer space. It's called the Panspermia Theory. Its most famous promoters were two British scientists, the late Sir Fred Hoyle (formerly Britain's Astronomer Royal) and Chandra Wickramasinghe. Not many scientists buy it, though.

new topics

join