It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN to Impose Sanctions on North Korea's Kim Jong II's Toys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Instead of imposing sanctions against North Korea that will make life harder than it already is for the North Korean people who live mostly in poverty and often face food shortages, the UN has come up with a creative idea that will only target Kim Jong II and his "elite" friends and associates. So, to show Kim Jong the worlds displeasure of his nuclear program, the U.N. is going to impose sanctions only on the things that will aggravate the countries leader. So no more iPods, no more French Cognac, or plasma TV's, no more yachts, Johnny Walker Scotch Whiskey, Rolex watches or Harley Davidson motorcycles for Kim Jong, among other "toys" he likes. These items are too expensive for the average North Korean citizen to buy so these sanctions won't cause any hardships in their lives.

rawstory.com
Experts said the effort - being coordinated under the United Nations - would be the first ever to curtail a specific category of goods not associated with military buildups or weapons designs, especially one so tailored to annoy a foreign leader. U.S. officials acknowledge that enforcing the ban on black-market trading would be difficult.

The population in North Korea, one of the world's most isolated economies, is impoverished and routinely suffers widescale food shortages. The new trade ban would forbid U.S. shipments there of Rolexes, French cognac, plasma TVs, yachts and more - all items favored by Kim but unattainable by most of the country.

"It's a new concept; it's kind of creative," said William Reinsch, a former senior Commerce Department official who oversaw trade restrictions with North Korea during Bill Clinton's presidency. Reinsch predicted governments will comply with the new sanctions, but agreed that efforts to block all underground shipments will be frustrated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is really an original idea!

Make it harder for Kim Jong to live the lifestyle he is used too. That, I think, is a better idea than any sanctions that might make life harder than it already is for the average North Korean. Making the average N.K. citizen suffer isn't going to make Kim Jong change his policies or programs. After all, it is Kim Jong who is control of the country, hit him where it will bother him the most, his eccentric lifestyle.

Of course Kim will probably get some of the items that will be banned from his country illegally, but I don't believe many sanctions have actually worked 100%. I think this idea is worth a try, time to let Kim suffer a little and see if he'll throw a temper tantrum or "will toe the line" and start behaving so he can get his toys whenever he wants them.

[edit on 29/11/06 by Keyhole]

[edit on 29/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What else is there that he does not already have though? I figure he already has the latest tech gadgets and whatnot. But hey, if we can stop him from getting any really new stuff, thats cool. Maybe this will just drive his zeal?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I doubt very much that this will ever stick. When a man has deep pockets there will always be someone more then willing to help that person part with their cash. I don't see how the USA will be able to force a Swiss Watch company from selling him a Rolex or his buying it from another country, or having one of his agents go down to an Ipod sweatshop in Taiwan and buying one directly from the factory. Its ridiculous to even think something like this will succeed in hurting him. Why not just declare an order to have him beaten savagely about the head with palm fronds.

Pie

new topics

join