It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost City of the Serpents?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Apparently, I have been searching through lots of websites, books, and talked to lots of people. I have heard about some city hidden in the rainforests of Guatemala, called the Lost City of the Serpents, known to have some civilization similar to that of the Aztec or Maya. They said a certain type of dragon species in which I have already known this, called Amphithere inhabit the city. They also said the Amphithere god Queztlcoatl was worshiped there. What is this, and give me your opinion on it. I want info from other people before I start going and believing, for that is what a true dragonoligist does! *salutes*

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonoligist Zac
Apparently, I have been searching through lots of websites, books, and talked to lots of people. I have heard about some city hidden in the rainforests of Guatemala, called the Lost City of the Serpents, known to have some civilization similar to that of the Aztec or Maya.

The mayans are from guatemala.

They said a certain type of dragon species in which I have already known this, called Amphithere inhabit the city.

Amphithere is a phrase from fiction. The whole thing, infact, sounds like something thats actually from the realm of fantasy fiction.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
who have you talked to? other dungeons and dragons fans?
are there currently live dragons in guatamala? I suggest a +5 vorpal sword.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There's really no need to slam a fellow poster like that.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
There are serpents and dragons in cultures all over the world.

Wonder where they come from?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Perhaps you are referring to the Olmecs. They were the first civilization to worship a winged serpent. They existed from 1200 BC - 400 BC in areas of South Mexico, and are regarded as creating the first religion in that area of the world. Many archaeologist believe that it was their deity that was later adopted by the Aztecs and Toltecs, and became known as "Queztlcoatl," which means "winged serpent."

The area which was used by the Toltecs to worship the gods is known as "Teotihuacán." You can find info on this area here. I must say, it looks quite beautiful.

Information on the Olmec can be found here.

All of these civilizations have a great amount of detail regarding flying serpents.

To note, scientists have found that the earliest snakes contained legs and would often run after prey. Evidence of what is left of their legs can be seen in common day snakes, where most have two small "nail-like" objects near their tail.

Hope all this helps. Good luck on your research!

[edit on 30-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
its nothing to do with the Maya because they called Quetzlcoatl, Kukulcan
the city you're talking about it called Tenochtitlán, its location was a secret until Hernando Cortez destroyed it during the spanish conquest
en.wikipedia.org...
these days its called Mexico city

btw there is no such thing as a dragonoligist

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Interesting answers. But wth is Dungeons and Dragons?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
There are serpents and dragons in cultures all over the world.Wonder where they come from?

Where do serpents come from??? They're reptiles that have evolved a loss of their limbs. Dragons are mythical creatures that are, realistically, big reptiles. People have myths about big reptiles because....there are big reptiles. Pythons. Crocodiles. Kommodo's. Actually, Komodo Dragons are dragons, so I guess there's that.

dragonoligist zac
But wth is Dungeons and Dragons?

Its an old RPG, role playing game. THings like 'pokemon' or 'magic, the gathering' are modern incarnations of it, in a very derived sense anyway.
en.wikipedia.org...&_Dragons

It also used to be a cartoon, and was made into a movie a little while ago.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
There's really no need to slam a fellow poster like that.
Well, the poster says they talked to alot of people. I asked who. Like, were these interviews with other dragonologists?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
While there are dragons in cultures all over the world, it's interesting to note that they are almost completely different in different regions . . . European dragons are scaly evil things with batlike wings, while American dragons tend to be feathery. And of course the Chinese have their weird dragon-things. I've heard arguments that the odds are against a belief in dragons surfacing independently all over the world without a common origin, but on the other hand these dragons really don't have anything in common with one another except the label . . .

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
my best friend just got back from a tour of "the lost city" but i think it's in columbia.
they just discovered it about 20 years ago. he was fortunate enough to get a ride on the president's heli to the site. very cool photos of that place.
he mentioned some hikers were dumbfounded when they showed up in the helo as they hiked for 4 days to get there.
don't know anything about dragons though. there is just a few people that actually live there.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   

There are serpents and dragons in cultures all over the world.Wonder where they come from?

the actual evidence shows that the earliest great serpents were all sea creatures that had giant snake like bodies
these stories proliferate amongst coastal peoples.
the monsters with legs only ever appear in descendants of these cultures who over time and with the advent of agriculture found that they didn't need to live by the ocean any more to get enough food.
they started relying on cereal crops and farming instead
its as if the stories were so addictive that as the peoples became less familiar with the ocean they adapted the stories because the people wanted to keep telling them and wanted to have the monster in them still
in mesopotamia for instance the Babylonian serpent Tiamat is a sea serpent with a long snake like body
the assyrian version of Tiamat has a much more quadraped like body
she also has wings

pictures from an early babylonian seal.(circa 1800bce) the extra detail shows several sumerian garbed figures and the general consensus is that this means the seal is one that has been carved and recarved over millenia keeping the original characters as they appeared on a sumerian seal.

Tiamat from the wall of Babylon look she suddenly grew legs (circa 1000bce)

assyrian version of Bel Marduk and Tiamat here she has sprouted wings as well (circa 500bce)

its like cinderella when it was originally written the heroine had a fur slipper
when the story was retold in france the slipper becomes glass
but in both cases she still has a slipper
the Noah story is a case in point
in its first telling the ark is made out of the wall of a reed hut
in the biblical version its made of wood and is huge
each time a story is retold it gets extra details
this is especially true when the story crosses a cultural divide

incidentally this is how Tiamat appears in the modern world

shes got five heads breathes fire, ice and poisonous gases
come on quite a way hasn't she

btw I am not a Dragonoligist (shouldn't that be Dragonologist anyway)
but while people are throwing titles around
I am an independant Sumerologist

thats quite different to "Sun Matrix" who is a religious fundementalist and "Undo" who is a big sci fi fan

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was waiting through your whole post for the D&D picture of Tiamat. Glad I'm not the only one thinking so..

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
awww go on
just for you then
80scartoonscontent.co.uk...

www.geocities.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
nice links Marduk. Do you think that the current artistic incarnation of Tiamat (that of D&D style) is an attempt, however subtle and possibly unintentional, to bridge the gap to the Beast of Revelations? Not quite 7 heads, but much closer than one...
If the club was used against the shield in the cartoon, which would win?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
hmmm that would mean that Gary Gygax the inventor of D&D was somehow linked to the end of days and satan
I think thats a bit of a stretch to be honest
I think basically that Gary watched "Jason and the argonauts" when he was a kid like the rest of us and remembers the scene with the Hydra

ref the club and shield
no one would win
the club is an offensive weapon and the shield is defensive
you could batter the shield all day and you'd both just get tired

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonoligist Zac
Apparently, I have been searching through lots of websites, books, and talked to lots of people.

so Zac, are we going to get a link perhaps to one of these websites or some quotes from your interviews or something to stir the discussion or are you waiting for us to provide for you? Also, who starts a statement about their actions with "apparently"?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Also, who starts a statement about their actions with "apparently"?

You have voted Fifth Horseman for the Way Above Top Secret award

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
...i'm speechless...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join