It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatscreen Televisions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm looking into picking up a new flat screen television, and I am interested in having a question answered. I'm not completely technological illiterate, but LCD & Plasma confuses me.

I plan on picking up a flat screen that is HD ready. However I have noticed LCD & Plasma are two options.

What are the differences? Seems that Plasma seems to be slightly more expensive, although I may be wrong. I know I could quickly browse some websites and find the difference, but I prefer to hear it from the mouth of our members. I trust our members more than I do some website.

Speaking from experience people, what is better & what is the difference?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the difference is but i'd have to say that Plasma would be better.

My friend just picked up a 60 inch plasma flatscreen.
It's beautiful though it was very expensive, i'm not sure if it was worth it.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I happened to have a giant wall with nothing on it, so I went for the projector option. I am very happy with it, great for movies, and ATS never looked so big!

Also it is killer to play WoW or my gamecube on.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm not interested in going with a 60 inch television. No need for it. I currently have a 37 inch television in my living room, which is just right. The largest I would go with would be 42 inches.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well Plasma gives you a larger screen size selection, but the LCD uses less energy and heat. You will need to get a florescent light for the LCD though since it doesn't produce it's own.

Plasma has better:
contrast ratio
color and saturation
better motion tracking

But Plasma TV's don't perform as well in higher altitudes
Plasma also has a shorter display lifespan than LCD

LCD runs at a cooler temperature, high altitudes work, it has more brightness than plasma, and it weighs less.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
chissler,

If your response was in reference to niteboy's "projector", I don't think he's referring to a large projection TV but actually a digital projector which you can hook to a DVD, VCR, Computer or cable/dish. All you need is a bare wall/area to project your desired content onto. They do make pull-down and stand-up screens, but they're not necessary.

Depending on the quality and capabilities of the projector you can easily have a 6-8' X 8-10' "screen". They are sweeeet. A Very clear picture with near life-size viewing ... escpecially for sporting events and movies.

Life-size ATS, niteboy82? Hmmm ... too cool.

[edit on 11/29/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
If your response was in reference to niteboy's "projector"

Originally posted by 1Crisis
My friend just picked up a 60 inch plasma flatscreen

I might be wrong but I think his response was in reference to that.

I also think that Chissler may want the LCD instead of the Plasma given the information I received from him.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't know about new Plasma screens, but the one I used to have suffered from 'screen burn', where a picture that was still for a period of time would be 'burned' into the screen for a while.

Really quite annoying!

I would go with LCD myself, there cheaper and don't rack up electrical bills.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah it was in reference to the 60 inch plasma.

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I don't know about new Plasma screens, but the one I used to have suffered from 'screen burn', where a picture that was still for a period of time would be 'burned' into the screen for a while.

Yeah, that is what has me curious. Are their specific problems that are prone to each type? Is plasma a sharper quality?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
I happened to have a giant wall with nothing on it, so I went for the projector option. I am very happy with it, great for movies, and ATS never looked so big!

Also it is killer to play WoW or my gamecube on.

That's my style too niteboy. The only problem that I had was when I moved, I no longer had a huge white wall, so I had to downgrade to a 99 inch projector screen

(small by comparison)

Still awesome, and HD ready, but I don't have any HD channels, or devices. One of the other cool things is that I have a docking station connected to the projector input, so I can just dock my laptop, use my media mouse as a remote control, and play giant episodes of family guy, the simpsons, or anything else that I've downloaded.

I once tried to watch pron on it though, and I got squeemish. Imagine an ordinarily unnoticable pimple on someone's @$$ turning into Mount Vesuvius. Turned me off the giant booty for a while.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I've found that LCD has a sharper quality than Plasma. The colors are more refined and just generally better than a Plasma screen TV.

Ambient lighting is a new feature on LCD's as well now. Optional, but well worth the money.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Disadvantages to Plasma TV:
More susceptible to burn-in of images
Generates more heat than LCD
Sucks at high altitude
Good for 8 hours of viewing a day for 9 years
Heavier (^)

Disadvantages to LCD TV:
Lower contrast than Plasma
Fast moving objects may lag
42 inch screen max (hey!)
LCD can't get a burn-in image but it can burn-out which will make small black or white dots appear on the screen and you can't replace pixels, you'd have to replace the entire screen.

42 Inch LCD

42 Inch Plasma

[edit on 29-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I learned from a person that worked in a cable TV help line that plasma TVs may have a problem with some decoder boxes. I don't know what the problem is, the only thing I know is that when they received any calls on that help line of people with problems using a decoder box for pay-TV, the first thing they asked was if it was a plasma TV, because they did not work with the decoders.

I don't know if this was a specific problem of that decoder box or if it is a common problem, but I think that it could be another think to check when buying a plasma TV.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
www.denguru.com...
Under 300 bucks

My sister's boyfriend built one and it works great. The only thing we're stuck on is a way to incorperate standard AV input on the thing so we can play games on it.

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
In case you didn't read the above link, I just want to let people know the very basics of making your own projector.

You need:
1 LCD monitor
1 overhead projector.
1 TV Box

It's simple to set up, and easy to use. And, if you have the parts lying around, it's free.
If not, you can get both used on ebay for pretty cheap. And I kow some computer geeks have the most expensive part (14"-15" LCD monitor) lying around the house from before you upgraded to the 17"-19".

Stick it to the man by not buying his overpriced products.

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Well, Im going to recommend the LCD over the plasma...... lower cost to run, doesnt get as hot, no image burn and the pictures are more defined. Aside from this 42" is a pretty big size so I wouldnt worry about that one.
And chances are that you arnt going to be able to tell the difference between the two anyhow, an LED back-lit screen would be the thing to go for... but I dont know if you can get them as TVs yet.
Just my 2 cents lol.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Major problem with Plasma tv's is at certian altitudes, they "sing". No they dont actually sing, they tend to have an unusual resonance that causes the picture to appear wavy.

Plus Plasma sets have a tube, the screen itself is a flat plasma gas filled tube that eventually goes sour. It also suffers image burn, especially if you plan to run alot of game consoles on it, and from news tickers at the bottom of the screen on news channels or stock market channels.

The newer direct LCD units are far better these days and have an extrem contrast ratio compared to those of just 2 years ago.

Note. ALL digital televisions are HDTV ready.

And direct LCD units are more reliable than the Plasma counterpart. And are steadily approaching the max sizes of the Plasma. But unless you got a very large room to warrent a 70+ inch screen, and have the ability to manuver such a beast into the room and hang it sufficiently so that one day it doesnt come crashing down onto the floor, the direct LCD unit weighs far less than the Plasma.

There are also LCD rear projection units that use a lamp and prisim assembly. These are good also. Typical lamp life with average use is about 4,000 hours, and most manufacturers put a 2 year warranty on the lamp. But my personal preference is the direct LCD.

Dont forget to supplement the tv with a nice surround sound system too. It will add to the experience of widescreen tv and movie viewing, as well as add more excitement to those games!!!!

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

join