It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Tank crushes a civilian car (2004 Video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So it seems hot on the trail of the video released where some American soldiers use a bottle of water to tease some Iraqi children to run for a few blocks chasing a truck comes this video of some other soldiers catching a civilian stealing wood so they decide to inflict their own brand of justice and crush his car.

AFTER they shoot his car a whole bunch with their pistols that is, seemingly for the fun of it.

They run over it not once but twice claiming "that's what you get when you loot."

YouTube Video

So is this over the line? US soldiers handing out "street justice" or is this something they have been mandated to do?

[edit on 30-11-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I would seriously doubt that this would be sanctioned by the Pentagon! However, we must also keep in mind that things are not always as they appear to be. You can tell that the video is heavily edited. Although there is no doubt that they shot the car and used a tank to crush it, we do not know what else may have led up to those events. They could have received orders to do that (Which in and of itself would be appalling) or they may have been involved in looting alot more than just wood. The point is that we clearly don't have all the fact here.

I will say this, if this was blind street justice on behalf of these soldiers - they should be Court Martialed as their actions should be deemed as criminal. If they were under standing orders to handle this situation in this manner then high command needs to rethink their strategy and tactics in winning over the minds and hearts of the Iraqis. Other than that, we really need more information to draw any definitive conclusions.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The ending was funny.

Seriously though over wood?

Seeing as they destroyed said wood in the process of crushing the car, I doubt this was the reason for this event.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by C0le]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't think they were "mandated" to do anything. It reminds of police officers, I think that it is a complete abuse of power!

So I wonder if they even felt bad after they found out that he was a taxi driver and that the car meant everything to him. Probably not, I mean he deserved to get his car destroyed for stealing wood right? You know, that stuff thats EVERYWHERE!.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That's a very old video.

Warning!

Don't steal wood.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is that even considered "looting" at all? I could take wood like that as scrap from a construction site and at best be hit with a theft charge and a fine. Certainly it wouldn't be classed as "looting" by the Judge or get my car destroyed in the process.

Crazy...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This video is from the period after the invasion when there was wide spread looting. The troops were probably trying to disuade others from looting.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Those soldiers have lost all humanity after being over there too long.
Now the Iraqis aren't even allowed to try and rebuild after we destroy just about everything they have. Did that ever cross their mind?
And for the people saying that there must of been more to it, its obvious there wasn't. The soldiers said themselves were going to crush his car for looting the wood.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Is that even considered "looting" at all?

Therein lies the problem.

We only have a snippet of the Frontline documentary.

Does the snippet tell the whole story?

Does Frontline tell the whole story?

There's not enough information available to pass judgement.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
That's just a sickening abuse of power by those soldiers...now that they have destroyed his car, and with it, his livelihood (who knows how many mouths depended on his income?) I guess he'll be earning a living working for the Insurgency (and getting revenge on those ignorant ......... )

...and you wonder why Iraqi civilians feel just cause to take pot-shots at the soldiers?!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Is that even considered "looting" at all?

Therein lies the problem.

We only have a snippet of the Frontline documentary.

Does the snippet tell the whole story?

Does Frontline tell the whole story?

There's not enough information available to pass judgement.

What more information do you need to make a judgement out of this. Sorry but
for me this is sick!!!
It comes over just this way "Come on and have some fun in crushing cars"
........The car was the taxidrivers income.
btw.
Why first shoot the car and then crush it with the tank

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

Why first shoot the car and then crush it with the tank

Good question and you don't have any more answers than anyone else.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here's the original discussion from way back in 2004:

iraqi war crimes

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

So it seems hot on the trail of the video released where some American soldiers use a bottle of water to tease some Iraqi children to run for a few blocks chasing a truck comes this video of some other soldiers catching a civilian stealing wood so they decide to inflict their own brand of justice and crush his car.

AFTER they shoot his car a whole bunch with their pistols that is, seemingly for the fun of it.

They run over it not once but twice claiming "that's what you get when you loot."

YouTube Video

So is this over the line? US soldiers handing out "street justice" or is this something they have been mandated to do?

This took place years ago. After the initial invasion.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Be it old or not,

Is it any wonder the locals shoot our boys in the street?

Another case of a few bad apples ruining the bushel.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It's called "winning the hearts and minds" of the people.

Disgusting.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

YouTube Video

I think you should close this thread zedd, especially because the manner in which you present it is misleading.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Winning hearts and minds Uncle Sams way...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The US has been losing the information/media war since the 1960s. People shouldn't let incidents like this distract them from the real issues at hand. The real issues are how to get out of Iraq and replacing all the political leaders that had a part in creating this mess.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
For those who think there is not enough information:
1: Those bu#e storm troopers are NOT the law. If you want REAL law you hold them for trial no matter how stupid it may be. Let a judge handel it, not a couple of punk idiot kids who should be in college right now.
2: Just listen to them for once, they are being a group of vigilanties. They go with their eyes and then jump to conclusions, if they were smart they would realize the Iraqi's have little to NO power now and that wood keeps them from freezing to death in the night. Deserts do get cold at night!
3: Standerd procedure for theft in the CIVILIZED WORLD BY CIVILIZED PEOPLE: CHARGE THEM A FINE! TAKE THE STOLEN MATERIAL! LET THEM GO WITH A WARNING! Those punks were uncivilized.
4: They destroyed a mans livelyhood in the video, he was a cab driver (not all cabs have to be like in the USA with yellow and stripes on them with prices) and now he has NOTHING thanks to them. He lost his car, his only heat source, his job, and soon to be his livelyhood since he will not be able to upkeep the home. Unless the bu#es blew up his home too...
5: Winning the hearts and minds of the people, what was in the video THWARTS that COMPLETELY. They are vigilanties who think they rule the world and go about doing WHAT they want WHEN they want. That REALLY perterbs people, you have to treat people HUMANELY in order to win them over not show off muscle and say "We have the biggest guns so lick by boots and kiss my a#$ or else!"
6: The freak bu#es were SMILING in the video, they were HAPPY about what they were doing. Think about it, couple of punks with a tank, are vigilanties, think they rule the world, find you with "stolen" wood and shoot your car up then run it over. Yes they SHOT THE CAR FIRST THEN RAN IT OVER! WHAT THE BLOODY HECK WAS THE POINT OF SHOOTING THE CAR IF YOU WERE GOING TO FLATTEN IT? NOTHING was salvagable, not even the tires if you look at it, the car was SCRAP when they got done with it. Those punk kids are just showing off since there was a camera.
7: Civilized world: treat vigilanties like vigilanties! OH WAIT! UNLESS THEY ARE BU#E VIGILANTIES! Thats ok anymore right? YUP! In the real world if an invading army said you stole wood then ran your entire life (your only vehicle and your a cab driver) how would YOU react? Would you say: "Oh well I deserved it. They were justified, I wont steal wood anymore sir!" Or will you get REALLY ticked off for being treated in such a manner? In the real world in REAL government those tank drivers ought to be lined up and court martialed and removed from the military and ALL government offices FOR LIFE and sock the pentalties on their children for 40 years of their life so they will REMEMBER why you do NOT violate the law and act like a vigilanty. Dishonorable discharge, revoking of all benefits, if any recieved requirement that they be paid back, stripping of all medals if any were recieved, in short the whole nine yards.
The actions they partook in are NOT that of a civilized society, they took justice into their own hands WITHOUT doing so much as giving justifiable meens for it. Running over someones car with a tank over wood is the darn dumbest thing I have ever heard of. How many times in the USA have you seen people tried for stealing wood and have their home demolished, car ran over or thrown in jail? Zero. So why is there an exception in Iraq? If people are cold: GIVE THEM FIREWOOD FOR PEATS SAKE! YOUR THERE TO HELP THEM RIGHT? NOT TERRORIZE THEM! They destroyed a mans life and didnt even SOLVE the problem, now his family will be cold ANYWAY so he will STILL steal wood! YOU HAVE NOT SOLVED ANYTHING! YOU HAVE ONLY MADE IT WORSE! You CANNOT solve crime just by punishing people but when you have chance like in that incident you HELP them so they WILL NOT HAVE TO STEAL OR COMMIT ILLEGAL ACTS!

The bu#e storm troopers are the most uncivilized dolts I have ever seen, no wonder they fail to go to college, they just join the military because they cant cut it. Very few ever join out of "duty" to a nation, its all money no matter how little. These kids need to be taught that they are NOT the law, if anything they are to arrest and hold someone untill they can be tried!
When you look at track records of what the storm troopers do to people all over the world you realize why people loath them so much and why they all hold us responsible, because NO ONE puts them on a leash!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join