It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is killing the confounded black cat even worse luck?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
For those of you who believe black cats are a sure sign of bad luck, I have a serious question for you:

When I smoke I sit on my front step. Almost every time I'm outside smoking, the neighbor's cat, who is black, runs past me. I'm not sure I believe in the whole black-cats-are-bad-luck thing, but I can't help but consider it every time the foolish feline interrupts my smoke break. My question is: If I get rid of the "sign", if I take it into my own hands to rid myself of this omen, will the potential bad luck diminish?

[edit on 29/11/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I've always believed that it was good luck if a black cat crossed your path, especially as I've owned many black cats over the years.

As I have a reputation for falling in the mire and coming up smelling of roses maybe I'm right and they are good luck.

So no, don't hurt the cat, you'll probably come off worse anyway - they're fierce little b***ers!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If looking at this as a definite omen,the fact of killing this cat is irrelevant,in regards to getting rid of it, In the details of this omen which is usually a bad one,
if the cat crosses your path you are travelling it is considered a bad omen,not just when see one.
When looked a though this saying or superstition seems as fictional as the green skinned withces(which came from the view christians had on peagans)who are supposed to own them.

In many cases these witches who were (known) as having black cats as their animal counterparts or familiars,as these witches were looked at as being devil and demon worshippers to have a black cat pass your path was a sign that a witch was going to hex you or curse your path so to speak,aswell some thought that these cats were actually witches in disguise.

Hope that helps
Tor.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's utter nonsense to believe that all the humans that have crossed paths with a black cat will experience bad luck.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
First the myth that a black cat , or one crossing your path is bad luck is a direct result
of the RCC and their Inquisition. In their infinite wisdom (sarcasm level : extreme)
the church decided that all cats especially black ones were Witches \"familiars\". So
to even have one cross your path was enough to cause your status to be questioned.
In that day of guilty until proven innocent, and the various tests to prove your innocence, one that comes to mind is being tied securely then having a large stone tied around your neck. Then your were put in a boat and taken to deep water and thrown in.
If you floated you were a witch and summarily executed( likely along with your entire family). If however you sank(which of course resulted in your drowning) you were innocent(and dead) but your family was free (at least for a while but still under suspicion).
If that scenerio does not resemble bad luck I dont know what does.

The next bright idea that the RCC had was that cat being witches familiars they should
burn as many as possible each time they burned a witch. Thus by the time the rats
carrying the Black Plague landed in Europe the cat population had been virtually destroyed. So because of the Ignorance of the RCC They were directly responsible for the outbreak and duration of that event. Even more so because any healer of
the time that had any success with curing or treating the disease was usually branded a witch and arrested.

Anyone who injures or kills an animal without cause and reason is destined for far
more than \"bad luck\". They will have a severe price to pay.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It would be a bloodbath at my house if I started bumping off all the black cats around here.

I can't get out of my chair without almost tripping over a black cat, and I consider myself to be a fairly lucky guy. I'll go along with "sdrawkcab" and say that belief in this superstition is just utter nonsense.

Please don't bump off your neighbour's cat.
The bad luck you get might be the neighbour opening a can of woop-ass on you....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Dark Lord is right, that is how black cats got such a bad reputation. I have found black cats to actually bring good luck. Among true witches, they are known for being excellent healers and very magickal, which is why they make such good familiars. I used to have a black cats who would jump on top of clients I was doing Reiki on. She always knew the exact spot to go to and she would sit on that spot and purr. The vibration of her purr was very healing, and that's how she helped me with my healing work.

To kill or harm a black cat is very bad juju, you will bring bad luck on yourself.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
To me it would be bad luck to kill or harm any color cat. Harming an animal for no good reason will definitely come back on you later.

I'm a cat lover. I have four cats. Two gray tiger striped, one white blue-eyed manx, and a (last but not least) solid BLACK long haired kitty.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by elaine]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Okay, I worded my question that way not because I would ever even consider killing a cat, (I'm a lover of all animals), but to get people's attention to my thread. My whole point behind the question is this:

If bad luck is related to anything in the world, not just black cats, but anything, are those things just signs or are they actually causing the bad luck. If it is the former, then getting rid of the thing will not change your luck at all, correct? If it is the latter, then all you need to do to stop having bad luck is rid yourself of the "omens" or whatever.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Perhaps the cat's trying to get your attention for some reason if it always seeks you out and runs past whenever you are outside having a smoke...maybe you should follow it next time it runs past??

AD, that's one huge bundle of good cat-karma you got there!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
It would be a bloodbath at my house if I started bumping off all the black cats around here.

I can't get out of my chair without almost tripping over a black cat, and I consider myself to be a fairly lucky guy. I'll go along with "sdrawkcab" and say that belief in this superstition is just utter nonsense.

Please don't bump off your neighbour's cat.
The bad luck you get might be the neighbour opening a can of woop-ass on you....

You must be fairly lonely too have so many cats

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
For those of you who believe black cats are a sure sign of bad luck, I have a serious question for you:

When I smoke I sit on my front step. Almost every time I'm outside smoking, the neighbor's cat, who is black, runs past me. I'm not sure I believe in the whole black-cats-are-bad-luck thing, but I can't help but consider it every time the foolish feline interrupts my smoke break. My question is: If I get rid of the "sign", if I take it into my own hands to rid myself of this omen, will the potential bad luck diminish?

[edit on 29/11/06 by an3rkist]

You must accept it, ... love it (pet it..) show you are not a threat.. but a 'good' person ... one who loves... and it will depart from you WITH all of YOUR bad luck..
Cats are known as the keepers of the dead... they are excellent judges of character and intention ...
if you hurt the animal.. it will add to you all the 'bad luck' it has aquired over its years.. which will take a very great work of kindness from yourself to rid yourself of it..
once you do that.. you'll understand the cat, in an odd way... it will leave you with a particular feeling..

(all you will be doing, is accepting, loving and then understanding the idea of badluck .. which means you will no longer look for it.. you can move on, and look for positive things) .. so when you see the cat again, you will then be relating it to the beautiful encounter you had when you accepted and petted the cat.. (petted?) u know what i mean .. even if I can't spell .. lol

but anyhow .. its conquering thought.. and raising your thought vibration to the highest vibration .. (love)..

[edit on 11/29/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It is said that in Ulthar, which lies beyond the river Skai, no man may kill a cat; and this I can verily believe as I gaze upon him who sitteth purring before the fire. For the cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. He is the soul of antique Aegyptus, and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroe and Ophir. He is the kin of the jungle's lords, and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa. The Sphinx is his cousin, and he speaks her language; but he is more ancient than the Sphinx, and remembers that which she hath forgotten.

Continued...

So you see, it could be even worse luck to you if harm the kitty.

P.S. I don't really believe in the superstition, but I LOVE KITTIES!!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That's Funny.....

Originally posted by Galiega

You must be fairly lonely too have so many cats

I just wish I was lonely, in fact, I have a few extra humans that I'd like to get rid of if anyone would give them a good home.

We have three cats, but our female gave birth not too long ago and we ended up with five black kittens. Funny thing is, the female is a striped tabby.

As far as luck goes though, I think we do better in life if we do good things for others.
If we treat other people well it comes back to you by having others treat you well.

Forget about luck, omens, or charms.
Live a good life and be honest with yourself and others, be generous and kind.
It will be returned to you when you most need it.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadboi

It is said that in Ulthar, which lies beyond the river Skai, no man may kill a cat; and this I can verily believe as I gaze upon him who sitteth purring before the fire. For the cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. He is the soul of antique Aegyptus, and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroe and Ophir. He is the kin of the jungle's lords, and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa. The Sphinx is his cousin, and he speaks her language; but he is more ancient than the Sphinx, and remembers that which she hath forgotten.

Continued...

I love that Lovecraft!

Okay, now substitute "man" for "cat" and then think about asking your question, it's all superstitious nonsense.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
dude i have a black cat ... his name is popper
Cutest thing ever ..sketchy as all hell especially in the household im in ...

miostah toraylin... dont be afraid of cats lol

email me brother

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I would think it would be worse luck if you killed a black cat, I mean you got the covering up to do, then you got the interview with the investigator, then you have the lawsuit, and the prison....so yes its very bad to kill a black cat, especially if that black cat belongs to a crazy old lady who has 50 cats as companions.

But honestly, bad luck and superstitions is all in the head, its how we perceive life really. If you think you're having a bad day, then you are having a bad day, and if you think you are having a good day, then you are having a good day. I think when er think we're having bad luck or a bad day, we tend to make small little events into big deals, then we end up looking like an idiot by the end of the day...

Example, lets say you saw a black cat (I'm sorry it was convient), you freaked out and you thought oh poopers I have bad luck now, so look now you're stress out and worried, and now you're mind will lead you to believe everything that is going to happen is bad luck. Okay now imagine you're just a loser casher boy working at 7-11, some lady is trying to pay her cat food with nickels and pennies, shes holding up the line, and you're p*ss off believing its bad luck, you're not helping much by being a jerk, so you end up with an arguement!!

It could of been different, you could of done your job like you should have, and help the old lady count her quarters and be off with life seeing it as a normal day, but no, you got to a jerk and punch the old lady, resulting in a lawsuit and losing your job!! the end!!!

EDIT: Sorry for the dark humor!! But I hope you guys enjoyed it!!

[edit on 10-1-2007 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What ever bad things you don't want to happen to you WILL happen in some form to teach you something. From my experience anyway. It's our vices and fears that keep us twirling and learning/suffering.

[edit on 1/11/2007 by librasleep]

join