It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saw my first UFO on Sunday night.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well I finally saw my first UFO on Sunday night.
I was driving home around 10pm coming up a fairly busy street downtown.
There were high pressure sodium street lights on the right side. I was driving along
sort of looking at them when a star maybe 30 degrees above the horizon in front of me just "streaked off". If you measure about 1 inch between your fingers and extend it in front of you that's about how long of trail this "star" left behind before disappearing. It happened really fast. Probably a second from the moment I saw the motion before it was gone.

I suppose it was probably a shooting star but it was strange how I didn't see it cover more distance. Like I said it appeared as if a star on the horizon jumped to warp speed. LOL I've been to lots of star parties and have seen plenty of meteors. I've seen spectacular ones bright enough you could see your shadow during the Leonid meteor shower. But this looked really different. I have no idea what it was. I'm positive it wasn't an airplane or a helicopter as it was gone in a second and the "tracer" it left faded instantly. The most likely explanation is a meteor but it was weird nonetheless.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by Schaden]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
So you were driving, and you saw a star, and all of a sudden it streaked away. Since you were driving, you couldn't focus on a star for long, so that can raise questions?

But anyway, you saw what you saw and it was weird.
It will stay in your mind forever, I saw a UFO years ago, I'll never forget it.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
I was driving home around 10pm coming up a fairly busy street downtown.
There were high pressure sodium street lights on the right side. I was driving along
sort of looking at them when a star maybe 30 degrees above the horizon in front of me just "streaked off".

If you was downtown where sodium street lights are, then it may be impossible to even see stars? It's very likely it was a street light streaking against your window. It's happen to me several times lol....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Well I don't know how to say it any better but I'm certain it wasn't a reflection or anything like that. I was looking out the windshield to the right and watching the lights go past and gradually looking further ahead towards the horizon in front of me. When I looked at a streetlight a few hundred feet ahead of me (I was travelling at about 30 mph) Right above it I saw a point of light that suddenly increased to a very bright fine line and it was gone. I saw a point of light "stretch out" and disappear. I'm not trying to say it was an alien UFO or anything but I have never seen anything like that before. And like I mentioned, I'm into amateur astronomy and have spent many hours looking at the night sky. You can't see any dim stars but when it's clear you can usually see at least mag 3 and brighter where I live.

If you've seen a shooting star, it looked just like that. Really bright but instead of watching it go across the sky or even a considerable distance, it came out of nowhere and just moved a short distance very quickly before disappearing. I was really excited when it happened but when I look back on it now I'm fairly certain it was a meteor but the angle and specific seeing conditions in which I saw it, made it seem odd.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Schaden

I am curious to know. Have any of your thoughts or beliefs change since that moment? What did seeing it suggest to you? What does it mean to you? What goes through your mind about it?

I ask because the problem I notice when people finally see a "UFO", no matter what it was, is that it lends a little more evidence to the growing pile of whatever it is they hear about the alien races.

What did it help you believe or disbelieve?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Welcome to the club!

Please report any activity to the National UFO Database online. You might find other posts of people in your location on the same night witnising the same or similar event. You won't be able to use that as proof for the skeptics, but who cares about them anyway.

So far, i've had one personal experience, and about 4 others that matchedup completely with the reports of those in my area on the site.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have had a few similar experinces to what the OS has suggested.

They both happened near by my house.There was one day i was standing out front with my friend..and i just happened to turn to my right and look up and i saw a star-like object fade away right above me.It lasted maybe for 3 seconds before it vanished.

There was also another time when i was outside rolling a blunt,and watching the stars.At the same moment a friend of mine had just came ouit of his house to walk his dog,and usaully i always tell him about ufo's and aliens,just to see if i can broden his view of the world.He listens most of the time,and usauly we get into debates about the bible and ufo's.But anyway to make a long story short,Right when i saw him come out of his house i started to walk towards him..and as i was walking towards him i saw a star-like object flash over our heads.It made me think they are watching and know our thoughts,because right before i saw it,i was going to say something about ufo's to him,basically like i always do.But when i saw the flashing star it gave me a sort of reassurance .Who knows.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by TheSonOfMan]

[edit on 29-11-2006 by TheSonOfMan]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarmike
Welcome to the club!

Please report any activity to the National UFO Database online. You might find other posts of people in your location on the same night witnising the same or similar event. You won't be able to use that as proof for the skeptics, but who cares about them anyway.

So far, i've had one personal experience, and about 4 others that matchedup completely with the reports of those in my area on the site.

Good luck!

hi there,

is there an equivalent UFO reporting site in the UK?

i had a look and theres seems to be a lot , is there a main one ? or a decent one anyone can recommend ?

as for the OP`s sighting , are you sure you can see stars under sodium street lights ? i know i cant.

snoopyuk

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yeah I found a few... don't know the credibility of any at this point. My source was google. I know the databases over the pond are awesome, I don't see why these for the UK wouldn't be.

www.apra.org.uk...

www.uform.org...

www.bufora.org.uk...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthSister

Schaden

I am curious to know. Have any of your thoughts or beliefs change since that moment? What did seeing it suggest to you? What does it mean to you? What goes through your mind about it?

I ask because the problem I notice when people finally see a "UFO", no matter what it was, is that it lends a little more evidence to the growing pile of whatever it is they hear about the alien races.

What did it help you believe or disbelieve?

Well I believe that alien visitation is an inevitable explanation for some UFO sightings. This sighting didn't really change my view in the broad sense. I don't really know what I saw. It was a strange sensation but very thrilling to witness something unusual in such an unexpected time and place. Many times while out gazing with my telescope, I've thought how neat it would be to see a genuine UFO. The first time I spotted a satellite was pretty cool but this is something else entirely. I doubt I'll ever forget it, even if I'm not 100% positive I saw something other than a meteor.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I suppose it was probably a shooting star but it was strange how I didn't see it cover more distance.

If a shooting Star was travelling away from your line of sight or in your direction then the apparent distance traveled across the sky from your POV would be small.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSonOfMan

and i just happened to turn to my right and look up and i saw a star-like object fade away right above me.It lasted maybe for 3 seconds before it vanished.

-snip-

and as i was walking towards him i saw a star-like object flash over our heads.

TheSonOfMan it sounds to me like your describing Iridium Flares. You can see these on occasion from just about anywhere. Iridium Flares look Star-like and they grow brighter and brighter really quickly and then fade away just as fast, in a matter of seconds. They happen when Sunlight is reflected onto the ground by Solar Panels from Satellites. You can go to www.Heavensabove.com... and see predictions for Iridium Flares in your immediate area.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman

I suppose it was probably a shooting star but it was strange how I didn't see it cover more distance.

If a shooting Star was travelling away from your line of sight or in your direction then the apparent distance traveled across the sky from your POV would be small.

Yes that's the most logical explanation I've come to inside my mind.
I noticed the bright star right in front of my view. It was above the tree line near one of the street lights, not in my peripheral vision, but directly in my line of sight. And then the streak went "down" towards the horizon. It was bright and clear enough for a split second that it left a long line of a white glow or "tracer" on my retina. Usually meteors are dimmer especially in the city. And you'll see them cover some distance not less than a single degree like this sighting. So it could have came in with a really sharp angle relative to the ground and started glowing ahead of me in the upper atmosphere and burned up quick enough that from my perspective it traveled a short distance before disappearing (incinerating).

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The first time I saw a UFO, it, too, appeared to be a shooting star that then stopped, then went back in a completely different direction.

top topics

join