It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 degree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just found out from my mom that my grandfather was a thirty second degree mason. She was thinking that was rather low, with first level masons being the highest so I set her straight. But that got me thinking, how high is 32 really?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
One degree away from grand master

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If a Mason makes it to 32 degree - many do - he MAY be invited to become a Knight Commander of the Court of Honour. After you have been a Knight Commander for 4 years, you MIGHT be asked to become 33d degree.

There are two kinds of 33d degree: Honorary and Sovereign.

The Honorary ones tend to be celebrities and war heroes.

The Sovereign ones are at the top of the Masonic heap.

The 32 degrees are basically a front, and a farm team, for the 33d degree.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Researcher
If a Mason makes it to 32 degree - many do - he MAY be invited to become a Knight Commander of the Court of Honour. After you have been a Knight Commander for 4 years, you MIGHT be asked to become 33d degree.

There are two kinds of 33d degree: Honorary and Sovereign.

The Honorary ones tend to be celebrities and war heroes.

The Sovereign ones are at the top of the Masonic heap.

The 32 degrees are basically a front, and a farm team, for the 33d degree.

While a portion of your post is somewhat correct...much of it is confusing. The Scottish Rite consists of 33 Degrees. When a Master Mason (3rd Degree) joins the Scottish Rite, he receives the 4th - 32nd Degrees, inclusive. For outstanding service to Masonry or the community a 32nd Degree Mason MAY be invested with the 33rd (and Last) Degree. In some jurisdictions there are "honorary" 33rd Degree members and "active" The Active Members are the Officers of the Supreme Council (governing body of the Scottish Rite) In the Southern Jurisdiction of the U.S.A. there is an honorary investiture (not a degree) called Knight Commander of the Court of Honor. In the Southern Jurisdiction Knight Commanders of the Court of Honor are chosen from 32nd Degree members who've served Masonry or the community well. From the KCCH's the 33rds are chosen. The system is a bit different in the Northern Jurisdiction and in foreign Supreme Councils.

Senrak
(a 32nd Degree, Knight Commander of the Court of Honor)

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Does the York Rite have 32nd degree as well or is that only in Scottish Rite?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
One degree away from grand master

No.

No.

No, this is incorrect.

A "Grand Master" is an administrative position held within regular Blue Lodge Masonry. The 32nd degree is held by almost all Scottish Rite members. There is an honourary 33rd degree given to those who have shown admirable dedication and service to Freemasonry or to humanity in general. Neither of these degrees has anything to do with Grand Mastership, which is an elected position.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadeofgray
I just found out from my mom that my grandfather was a thirty second degree mason. She was thinking that was rather low, with first level masons being the highest so I set her straight. But that got me thinking, how high is 32 really?

In the United States, having the 32� means that one is a member of the Scottish Rite. Practically all Scottish Rite members in the US hold at least the 32�.

The 32� has nothing to do with being a Grand Master. To become Grand Master, one must simply be nominated, seconded, and elected to that office at the annual meeting of the Grand Lodge. It is not required that the Grand Master be a 32� Mason. The only requirement is that be a Third Degree Mason, which is the highest degree in Freemasonry.

Non-Masons often have trouble understanding this concept, because many think of degrees in terms of rank. This is not so.
It is said that the first degree is emblematic of youth, the second degree is emblematic of manhood, and the third degree is emblematic of old age, encompassing mortality.
These three degrees form the complete system of Freemasonry. All degrees that have a higher number are simply elaborations on the first three. They are not required; however, they are recommended.

As to the other question, the Scottish Rite has 33 degrees, including the first three of the Blue Lodge. The York Rite has 9 degrees along with three Orders of Chivalry, including the first three of the Blue Lodge. The York Rite also controls a large number of �side degrees� and honorary degrees.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadeofgray

Greetings Brethren and Fellows,
Masonry has only three Degrees: Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason.

The Degrees of the York and Scottish Rite are only side Degrees, they may progress 'Deeper' into the Light - but that does in no way affect how important a person is at his Lodge; nor do York and Scottish Rite Masons have any authority over Craft Masons.

Regards,
Bro. Daniel Brown

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Greetings Brethren and Fellows,
Masonry has only three Degrees: Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason.

The Degrees of the York and Scottish Rite are only side Degrees, they may progress 'Deeper' into the Light - but that does in no way affect how important a person is at his Lodge; nor do York and Scottish Rite Masons have any authority over Craft Masons.

Regards,
Bro. Daniel Brown

Bro. Daniel,

A correction. Symbolic or "Craft" Masonry has only three degrees. There are MANY degrees in Masonry. The Scottish Rite exists in most countries around the world. The so-called "York" Rite doesn't exist in the same structure outside the U.S.A. but the degrees it confers do....and they're definately degrees. None of them are any "higher" than that of Master Mason (the Third of the Symbolic Degrees) but they are degrees.

Fraternally,

John Karnes (Senrak)

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mundane Egg
Does the York Rite have 32nd degree as well or is that only in Scottish Rite?

Thanks

The York Rite per se, exists only in the U.S.A. The degrees it confers exist elsewhere but aren't organized in exactly the same manner. In the U.S.A. the York Rite consists of four groups or "bodies" (called by Prince Hall Masons, "Houses") The first is the Symbolic (or Craft) Lodge and consists of the first three degrees: viz. Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason. (These three degrees are the foundation stone of Freemasonry and as such are utilized by the Scottish Rite as well. (More on that in a minute) the second body of the York Rite is the Chapter and confers the degrees of: Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master and Royal Arch Mason. Next comes the Council and confers the degrees of: Royal Master, Select Master and Super-Excellent Master. (The SEM Degree is honorary and not required in all U.S. Jurisdictions) Finally comes the Commandery and confers the degrees (called "Orders") of: Red Cross, Knight of Malta and Knight Templar. The Knight Templar being the "ne plus ultra" of the York Rite System.
The Scottish Rite, as previously stated, also starts with the first 3 degrees which are conferred and controlled by the local Lodge and the State Grand Lodge. The Scottish Rite confers the 4th through 32nd Degrees, inclusive. Each of the degrees of the Scottish Rite has a title, but are genarally referred to by their number (just makes it simpler) The 32nd Degree for example in the Southern Jurisdiction of the U.S. is called "Master of the Royal Secret" in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction it's called "Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret."

There is a 33rd Degree, which exists in two ways. For members who've shown great leadership and commitment to the Order and the community, the 33rd is given as an "honor" and these members are called "Inspector General, Honorary" From these members the "Active" (voting) members of the SUpreme Council are chosen. These are the officers of the Scottish Rite. They are the Sovereign Grand Inspectors General.

Hope this helps.

-Senrak

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Bro. John,

I agree with you in a sense, but when people say Masonry, they usually just mean the Blue Lodge. If we're not careful with our terms, then we get somewhat nutty people on here who start saying "AHA! You said yourself that Freemasonry has many degrees! It's in those other degrees (you know, the ones that make you a Grandmaster) that you actually learn that the whole purpose of Freemasonry is to serve reptoids!"

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexKennedy
Bro. John,

I agree with you in a sense, but when people say Masonry, they usually just mean the Blue Lodge. If we're not careful with our terms, then we get somewhat nutty people on here who start saying "AHA! You said yourself that Freemasonry has many degrees! It's in those other degrees (you know, the ones that make you a Grandmaster) that you actually learn that the whole purpose of Freemasonry is to serve reptoids!"

Bro. Alex,

You're right of course. It's a bit difficult to communicate some of these things since I'm so accustomed to being on Freemason-ONLY lists where the general membership has a basic understanding of our structure. ....heck, it gets confusing for members...let alone non-Masons.

Fraternally,

Senrak

new topics

top topics

join