It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70% of U.S. smokers want to quit! Let's just kill this airbourne disease & outlaw smoking for good.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think its absurd to ban smoking. People have a right to do to their bodies what they wish. And that's not even counting the economic destruction that a smoking ban would cause. It's bad enough that people can't even smoke in a bar or restaurant in my home state anymore.

Now before anyone attacks me, let me tell you this. I'm 25 years old. I've been smoking pretty regularly since I graduated high school at age 18. I was up to about a pack a day. About two weeks ago, one side of my throat started to swell up. It looked and felt like I had a small tumor growing there. It hurt when I touched it, it even hurt when I inhaled.

Finally I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor. My sister works for a really good one- people actually come all the way to see him in New Jersey from as far away as Europe and all over the United States. So to make this already long story short, they had to stick a camera up both my nostrils and down my throat. Thankfully, it wasn't cancer. I just had some swollen glands due in part to bad luck, but mostly from smoking. So I went on a bunch of meds and now I'm better.
But it was a close enough call, in addition to the lecture I got from the doctor, to make me quit.

Anyway, that was the last day I smoked. It was the day before Thanksgiving. I'm now on the nicotine patch and I'm doing pretty well. The first day was kinda rough, but it's been much better since. Admittedly, I've been chewing a lot of gum and sucking on a lot of candy to substitute for my oral fixation with cigs.

I encourage everyone to stop wasting money and stop shortening their lives. Dying from lung cancer and emphazyma is HELL. It's like drowning, except over a long period of time and in terrible pain. If you can't do it for yourself, then do it for your loved ones.

That being said, you can't force anyone to quit. They have to WANT to quit or else they'll never succeed. If we force people to give up cigarettes and ban smoking, then what's next? Should we ban people from eating fattening foods and candy and fast foods? It's arguable that they're doing just as much damage to their bodies by eating junk and not exercising. Their health problems cause our economy billions of dollars each year.

For all the people on here who are against big government and "Big Brother", I'm surprised to see so many people supporting a ban on smoking. I think its really hypocritical of some. Thanks, and God Bless!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Is there anywhere that I bravely say, "I am better than smokers, drugys, obese, low class citizens, alcoholics, etc?" No. But I am proud that I did not condone to this trickery. I am proud I said, "No."

7A

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I asked you how if feels to be better than me. You replied to my question with "Pretty damn sad I must say!". I don't know about you, but that sounds like an answer to me. Not to mention that you quoted my post like you were going to answer it.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
I asked you how if feels to be better than me. You replied to my question with "Pretty damn sad I must say!". I don't know about you, but that sounds like an answer to me. Not to mention that you quoted my post like you were going to answer it.

That doesn't mean anything. It isn't an answere. It is sad to see people seduced by trickery. You want me to be guilty don't you? I don't feel quilty at all. Simply. Proud of myself.

7A out.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
You are guilty of what you say.

I hope a freedom you love gets taken away and maybe you can understand.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
You are guilty of what you say.

I hope a freedom you love gets taken away and maybe you can understand.

It is my spiritual self that is to strong to give into these deathly products. I am aware of what they are capable of doing, I will never submit myself to drugs, I will be strong and be with the balance. Your hope for me to be pulled by Darkness is typical. I am true to what I say. It is a part in others and yours that is your quest to conquor. I have a different quest. My quest is in itself. Indirectly. I am to to stay high and say, "No" to any pressure or offer just as you did to your words.

7A

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
meanwhile, I shall smoke cigarettes and drink scotch
- hopefully people that think like that ^ wont get elected....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join