It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can America AFFORD to cure A.I.D.S?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc
So, you're just going to say that everytime the number reaches that limit? lol

Look, here's the science behind it. HIV is an RNA virus, which means it lacks the polymerase that proofreads DNA as it is being transcribed. This causes mistakes in transcription to go uncorrected, which creates new mutations rapidly and randomly. THIS is the reason we have no vaccine.

Is that not due to the fact that they can not isolate the 'virus' in the 'normal' manner hence the difficulty even detecting it in the human body?

There are numerous subspecies of HIV, and each subspecies contains numerous different forms of the virus.

And this is not true for other viral diseases?

Unless you can tell me how to vaccinate for literally hundreds of viruses with one vaccina, I think you need to study the SCIENCE behind what you're talking about, rather than relying on anecdotes you heard from unreliable sources.

Not to support his ideas ( i don't) but i do find it striking that leading authorities on these matters can become 'unreliable' overnight if they happen to disagree on the nature of the problem. Peter Duesberg anyone?

I have read just about enough to have lost all faith in the official version of events and that i can and will defend as far as my knowledge allows.

Stellar

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Agent T, can you please explain to us how the American government/economy would be harmed if there was a cure for AIDS? The things making the money and getting the 600 grand a year from treatments is the pharmaceutical industry.

Well apparently it can be harmed as US and international drug manufacturers have prevented cheap alternatives/generics from reaching the people who need it most and can afford it the least.

With that being said, if say...Roche Pharmaceuticals found a cure. They are a multi-billion dollar corporation. Do you really think they care about the other companies?

For sure they do as stepping out of line just opens them up to attack on other markets where they used to have a good market share. Remember that these guys have everything to gain by cooperation and NOTHING to lose. It makes no business sense for them to actively engage each other in cutting prices to gain market share. It is far more logical to specialize in some areas and reach agreement with your competitors on sole distribution or like rights. No one wants to find a cure for anything as the treatment process is far far far more profitable; it makes no business sense to 'cure' a patient when you can treat him for decades instead.

They can charge 150 thousand dollars for their cure, and they will make more than they would have if AIDS wasn't cured.

Logic?

The pharmaceutical companies are individual, competing industries.

In a way they are but when you reach a certain level you stop gaining by cut throat competition and have the clout to enforce or reach agreement with others in like situations. The small business world is nasty but the higher up you go the more sense it makes to have allies and reach agreements.

If they found a miracle product, they'd jack up prices, and get the recognition.

Profit and control of the treatment patents is the name of the game and recognition is something that is given to them by people who benefit by their actions.

And also...cough syrup is not just sugar. You need to read the active ingredients like (DXM), tylenol, ibuprofen.

You can make your own cough syrup and take the rest as required.

Stellar

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
We already have a cure for AIDS. It's called abstinence.
Wanna get AIDS? Screw without a condom.
Wanna get someone pregnant? Both of you get your blood tested.
Don't wanna get AIDS? Become abstinent, it's that easy.
What's so hard to understand?
We all know at this point how it's transmitted, so if you take the risk, prepare for the consequence. And just remember when you get diagnosed, it was your choice.
When I was a sexually active gay man I used a condom. My "first" back in 1987 was HIV+. I used a condom with him. I never got infected by the virus. Condoms work (unless they break, but hey, that's the chance you take....yeah, it was a risk and I could have gotten infected; stupid me, but I was a fool back then....oh well).

The cure for AIDS is abstinence. If all the infected people in the world remained abstinent for the rest of their lives this disease would be eradicated.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

The cure for AIDS is abstinence. If all the infected people in the world remained abstinent for the rest of their lives this disease would be eradicated.

Why do infected people have to be abstinent when you just said yourself that condoms work?

Plus, for your theory to work, everyone needs to be tested. Do you know how many people are walking around infected that don't know they are infected?

BTW, your really reaching for a utopia if you think everyone is going to become celibate.

Edit: By your logic we could cure the flu if no one touches anything for a few months. By touches I don't mean sexually, I mean anything.

[edit on 1/10/2007 by Griff]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Why do infected people have to be abstinent when you just said yourself that condoms work?

Reread my post..............even using a condom is still a risk. My first partner was HIV+. If his condom had broken (this was 19 years ago), I could very well not be here today. Like I said, if you want to take the risk prepare for the consequence. After I broke up with this guy I went to a gay health counselor and he told me, "Your best bet is to just assume that every single guy you meet is infected (not that they really would be), this way you use protection, watch what you do in the sack, etc, etc." He gave me wise advice, but I still picked up other STD's along the way (and I wasn't even promiscuous). But I had a list of things I had to be aware of in regards to fending off HIV. The counselor also told me, "A f*ck is not worth dying for."

Originally posted by GriffPlus, for your theory to work, everyone needs to be tested. Do you know how many people are walking around infected that don't know they are infected?

I know Griff, can't blame me for dreaming though. In a perfect world....
Hey, what's even scarier is do you know how many people are walking around infected and know it, and don't tell there partners?

Originally posted by GriffBTW, your really reaching for a utopia if you think everyone is going to become celibate.

I don't expect this........and I didn't say "everyone", but as a gay man I feel it is a wiser choice. You don't have to buy my theory Griff, it's just something for you to ponder.

Originally posted by GriffEdit: By your logic we could cure the flu if no one touches anything for a few months. By touches I don't mean sexually, I mean anything.

You made me laugh Griff, I like you. The biggest difference being that we can prevent the transmission of AIDS if we are sexually celibate and inactive which, wow, is actually humanly possible.......but not coming in contact, "tactile", with the world around us is virtually impossible.....unless we all "bubble-up". LOL!

[edit on 10-1-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Grady,
If it is a behavior problem how do you explain the fact that inocent children amd inocent women are dying from AIDS and have been since the early eighties?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If you really want to cure a virus, let's start with the common cold!

Start small and work your way up!

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The common cold isn't one virus.

The "common cold" can be caused by any combination of thousands of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and allergens.

Can't vaccinate for them all, unfortunately. Plus, don't you think it's a little silly to demand medication for something to incredibly mild? Take a zinc supplement, get lots of fluids, and sleep. You'll be better in a day or so. Nothing big.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
With the corporate nature of medical and pharmacutical industries, finding real cures for anything is the dumbest thing you can do.

Once you cure everyone and definatly once your able to inoculate everyone, your out of bussines.

Creating medication that avoids the inevitable for as long as posible in terminal illnesses or that temporarely, as long as you take the medication, reduce the effects of non life treatening illnesses is the smart thing to do.

I'm fairly certain that there are cures for some deadly desceases and that the reasons for certain birthdefects, be they mental or physical, are well known in the industry, but aren't published or cured because its simply bad bussines.

Healthcare should imho never be privatised.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join